June 22 - The day JMS takes over the comic store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan
    Great, Alex. Please let us know what you think after you've read it?

Jan
    Well, got it yesterday and ... LOVE IT!
    I read it all in one pass, late at night and it is great! It took some time to get used to actually watching pictures together with the text (and read top-to-bottom), but it works now

It is no typical "superhero" story, and the two thing I don't like is looks of the men (quite similar to some other monsters I've seen somewhere else).

Thank you for recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by alex_t
      Well, got it yesterday and ... LOVE IT!
      I read it all in one pass, late at night and it is great! It took some time to get used to actually watching pictures together with the text (and read top-to-bottom), but it works now
      <claps hands> I'm so glad you liked it! And, btw, thanks for being open-minded enough to check it out.

Yes, I found that I had to 'learn' how to read comics again after -mumble- years away from them. My usual pattern of scanning a page of text just doesn't work well with comics. I have to slow down and pay attention to both the art and the dialogue.

It is no typical "superhero" story, and the two thing I don't like is looks of the men (quite similar to some other monsters I've seen somewhere else).
      Sometimes specific artwork isn't to my taste either but after a while I tend to picture the characters the way I would without the pictures or just using them as, I dunno, guidelines much as I would a description in a text based story. What was the second thing though?

Thank you for recommendation!
      Our work here is done, folks! Another convert!

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I too had a convert (my first, to B5) several weeks ago

And there is no second thing, it was originally planned as:
        It is no typical "superhero" story, and the only thing I don't like is look of the men (quite similar to some other monsters I've seen somewhere else).

I first started typing that there are two things - then realized that there is no second thing that I don't like, corrected the text but forgot to replace "two" with "only". Silly me (I just woke up at that time).

Comment

I too had a convert (my first, to B5) several weeks ago
          Cool! Are you able to follow along watching with him/her/it? It's fun to see what insights they have and help tease them along. Any chance they might be persuaded to post?

And there is no second thing, it was originally planned as:
          It is no typical "superhero" story, and the only thing I don't like is look of the men (quite similar to some other monsters I've seen somewhere else).

I first started typing that there are two things - then realized that there is no second thing that I don't like, corrected the text but forgot to replace "two" with "only". Silly me (I just woke up at that time).
          Ah, gotcha. I need to reread MN again soon. It's one of those items that you notice new things each time you read.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
            Cool! Are you able to follow along watching with him/her/it? It's fun to see what insights they have and help tease them along. Any chance they might be persuaded to post?
            It?

"The convert" is my co-worker, he's a huge fan of "Firefly" and seems to hate "Star Trek" (who doesn't? ). He shown me A LOT of good recent TV-shows ("Firefly", "Dead Like Me", "4400", "Lost", etc) which are now among my favorites (but Babylon 5 is #1 - nothing/noone will ever change it ) - so I felt like responding with my favorites and Babylon 5 was the first (of course!). Next I will try "Crusade", "Twin Peaks" and "Wonderfalls".

1. I basically guided process for the first season. He was quite interested starting from (I think) the end of the first season and totally hooked by the time of "Messages from Earth" / "Point of No Return" / "Severed Dreams" triptich.

2. I recommended to skip about a half of the first season - it's very radical, but since he dislikes Star Trek I had to temporarily cover "Trekkish" moments of the early B5. The order was:

> The Gathering (he hated it, too 80's in style)
            > Midnight on the Firing Line (quite neutral reaction)
            > Soul Hunter (this one wasn't in my "recommended" list, he tried it himself and didn't like)
            > The Parliament of Dreams (the first episode he liked, especially Londo part I think)
            > Mind War
            > And The Sky Full Of Stars
            > Signs and Portents
            > Legacies
            > A Voice in the Wilderness 1/2
            > Babylon Squared
            > The Quality of Mercy (do not remember, but I think it was in the list)
            > Chrysalis
            After that the only episode that I recommended to skip was "Grey 17 Is Missing"

3. He's somewhere in the 5th season now. I think I will show this forum to him next week - I don't think discussing someone's viewing without his knowledge is good

Comment

His reaction to "The Illusion of Truth" - it's Fox News!

Comment

It?
                Sure, wouldn't want to be 'species-ist' around here, would we?

"The convert" is my co-worker, he's a huge fan of "Firefly" and seems to hate "Star Trek" (who doesn't? ). He shown me A LOT of good recent TV-shows ("Firefly", "Dead Like Me", "4400", "Lost", etc) which are now among my favorites (but Babylon 5 is #1 - nothing/noone will ever change it ) - so I felt like responding with my favorites and Babylon 5 was the first (of course!). Next I will try "Crusade", "Twin Peaks" and "Wonderfalls".
                Nothing like turning folks on to the things that turn you on, eh?

1. I basically guided process for the first season. He was quite interested starting from (I think) the end of the first season and totally hooked by the time of "Messages from Earth" / "Point of No Return" / "Severed Dreams" triptich.

2. I recommended to skip about a half of the first season - it's very radical, but since he dislikes Star Trek I had to temporarily cover "Trekkish" moments of the early B5. The order was:

> The Gathering (he hated it, too 80's in style)
                > Midnight on the Firing Line (quite neutral reaction)
                > Soul Hunter (this one wasn't in my "recommended" list, he tried it himself and didn't like)
                > The Parliament of Dreams (the first episode he liked, especially Londo part I think)
                > Mind War
                > And The Sky Full Of Stars
                > Signs and Portents
                > Legacies
                > A Voice in the Wilderness 1/2
                > Babylon Squared
                > The Quality of Mercy (do not remember, but I think it was in the list)
                > Chrysalis
                After that the only episode that I recommended to skip was "Grey 17 Is Missing"
                Whew! For a second I misread and thought you'd had him skip 'Sign and Portents'! I 'make' my converts commit to the whole first season but if they react badly to 'The Gathering' I show them 'In the Beginning' even with all the spoiling things just so they can see how good it gets.

3. He's somewhere in the 5th season now. I think I will show this forum to him next week - I don't think discussing someone's viewing without his knowledge is good
                We'll look forward to meeting him! If he posts, that is...so many lurkers...<waves> Hi, Lurkers! C'mon in, the posting's fine!

Jan

Comment

More like CBS, Newsweek and the New York Times. FNC may have a conservative slant, but at least they tell the truth.

Who'd've thought that JMS would prognosticate Dan Randall's real life analog forging documents to create a story?
                  Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_T
                    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                    More like CBS, Newsweek and the New York Times. FNC may have a conservative slant, but at least they tell the truth.
                    I think the point is that every news source, paper, video, audio, whatever-o has a specific point of view that will be the basis on which all stories are based. There simply is no such thing as an unbiased news source and really never has been. Once upon a time those sources were more up-front about their core stance on things but nowadays they're not. It takes a lot of thinking and willingness to explore other sources to form a point of view that's the basis for, as Harlan Ellison would say, an "...*informed* opinion".

I think the message that the episode was meant to send was that one shouldn't just accept *any* one source but to be skeptical of all of them.

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled comic thread...

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                      I think the message that the episode was meant to send was that one shouldn't just accept *any* one source but to be skeptical of all of them.
                      And if there were no FNC or RIGHT WING RADIO, we'd never hear about any of it. Maybe in rags that get little national dispersal, but nothing that's viewed by a large audience.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Don't start. Please. I have enough threads to dodge.
                        Radhil Trebors
                        Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                          We'll look forward to meeting him!
                          Well, he registered today (borgir) but did not get an confirmation e-mail...

Comment

Well, he registered today (borgir) but did not get an confirmation e-mail...
                            Hmm...gotta admit it's been so long since I registered I didn't even remember that part. I can see 'borgir' welcomed on the Forum Index page but don't see that name in the member list. Can he try again or maybe we can ask DougO to see what needs to be done.

Jan

Comment

Well, he still did not get a confirmation mail and I suspect that he will not exactly in the mood to get a new e-mail...

DougO! We cry for help! I know, you can activate borgir!

Comment

Well, he still did not get a confirmation mail and I suspect that he will not exactly in the mood to get a new e-mail...

DougO! We cry for help! I know, you can activate borgir!
                                I've sent Doug an email to see if he can find out what's wrong.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X