No announcement yet.

June 22 - The day JMS takes over the comic store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the strangest look from my server yesterday evening as I sat eating dinner and reading my latest batch of JMS comics. Some people refuse to even try them for fear of looking...I dunno, silly? Juvenile? Me, I don't care if they think I'm odd and I'm happy to let them know they're wrong about comics.

Oh, and the three I got yesterday--Strange, Dream Police and Supreme Power were really good!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

This was covered somewhere in these posts so sorry for being a knob, but which of JMS's comics were going to be put into one book. Was it Dream Police or Midnight Nation, or something. I'm making my wish list for the Comic Expo.

I tried the search but it's hard to narrow it down when I can't remember exactly what I'm looking for
      Flying around the room under my own power.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoo Junky
        This was covered somewhere in these posts so sorry for being a knob, but which of JMS's comics were going to be put into one book. Was it Dream Police or Midnight Nation, or something. I'm making my wish list for the Comic Expo.
        Dream Police is just a one-shot and came out for the first time yesterday. Midnight Nation was released as a trade paperback quite a while ago. At Wizard World we tried a few vendors before we found a copy, btw. I highly recommend that one. As for Supreme Power and Rising Stars and Spider-Man, I lose track of when each of them come out in the trade paperback version. Last I remember, people were saying that they were still waiting for the final Rising Stars trade.

I tried the search but it's hard to narrow it down when I can't remember exactly what I'm looking for
        In this case, the only thing I could think of to look under was 'trade paperback' and the last time that showed up in a JMS post was late last year. He's not real good about announcing what's coming out unless somebody asks (and he notices the question, of course).

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks, Jan. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to the comics so I have to backtrack quite a bit and hope for the best.

Comment

Thanks, Jan. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to the comics so I have to backtrack quite a bit and hope for the best.
            Me and thee, SJ! At the Wizard con the attendees were talking about crossovers and long ago storylines that I felt a bit lost at times. Apparently some of the things that happen in JMS's Spider-Man issues effect or are effected by things that happen in other Spider-Man titles. I haven't quite gone that far off the deep end...yet. Time will tell, of course.

Jan

Comment

I know what you mean about stories-past. I have a thing that I want to start at the very beginning when I read a story. Getting every Spiderman since Day 1 would be quite the feat!

I guess it is possible, after all, you managed to get all the B5 scripts (except for one, I believe) and the show has been done for awhile.

Comment

I know what you mean about stories-past. I have a thing that I want to start at the very beginning when I read a story. Getting every Spiderman since Day 1 would be quite the feat!
                LOL! Actually...though tracking down every single original issue would probably be impossible with so many years of issues, if you really want it, I noticed this ad not long ago.

I guess it is possible, after all, you managed to get all the B5 scripts (except for one, I believe) and the show has been done for awhile.
                I started collecting back while the show was still on though, and it took a certain amount of obsessiveness. Every time I found somebody on Ebay who was selling any cast/crew related items I wrote and inquired about scripts. At some point in late 1999 or early 2000 I ran across the person whose collection I eventually bought. It took another whole year before I was able to buy it, though, because the seller got sidetracked and forgot me.

One nice thing was that each time I contacted a crew/cast member I was able to thank them for their part in making B5 as special as it was.

Jan

Comment

I always wondered how you managed to get those scripts... either you were the luckiest person around to find them one by one or you had an informant (Pssst - code phrase "The black horse leaves at midnight. How can I get Script #315 {looks around cautiously} ). Still, it's pretty

Comment

In regard to the earlier comment about the trades- Rising Stars has been collected in 4 tradebacks. Visitations collects issues 0, 1/2, the Preview and Prelude. Born in Fire collects issues 1-8, Power collects 9-16, and Fire and Ash collects 17-24. I believe Top Cow will release sometime this year a collected version of Rising Stars, the entire series in one book. It'll be a 600+ page tome. If you don't own the 4 trades, the all in one version would be cheaper.

The Midnight Stars tradeback collects the 12 issue miniseries, along with the special 1/2 comic. There are 2 Supreme Power tradebacks for the first 12 issues. And JMS' run on Amazing Spiderman has about 8 or 9 tradebacks out.
                    RIP Coach Larry Finch
                    Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                    Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

I always wondered how you managed to get those scripts... either you were the luckiest person around to find them one by one or you had an informant (Pssst - code phrase "The black horse leaves at midnight. How can I get Script #315 {looks around cautiously} ). Still, it's pretty
                      Thanks...and sorry...while I do have a fair number of scripts with multiple revision copies, that's not one that I do. I probably had close to a third of the scripts at the time I found the collection I did. During a bout of unemployment a couple of years ago I let them go, though-some to fellow collectors, others on eBay.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled comics thread....

Jan
                      Easily distracted when the subject of scripts comes up. <g>

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                        As for proving you wrong...are you willing to be proven wrong while (IMO) being exposed to a great story? If so, I highly recommend you picking up "Midnight Nation" by JMS.
                        I will definitely try "Midnight Nation" now. I think I will order it from Amazon US in July, together with DVDs of "Dead Like Me" (can't wait until region 2 DVDs in 2006...).

Comment

Great, Alex. Please let us know what you think after you've read it?

Jan

Comment

Surely I will

Comment

I was able to pick up some comics yesterday. I had some stuff to deal with my (former) bank about. I told them of my displeasure at their lack of handling the situation, so I closed my account and left. The comics I picked up were the 3 newer ASM tradebacks (Volumes 7-9) and the last copy of Dream Police.

I enjoyed the Spiderman comics immensly. I also enjoyed Sins Past but didn't see what the big deal was about. Deodato's artwork was beautiful. He's currently behind Alex Ross on my list of excellent comic artists.

Dream Police was very funny. I loved it. Again, the artwork was beautiful and surprised me. I thought it was going to be a black and white comic, hence my surprise. It's been the first time in about 11 years I purchased an individual comic off the shelf. Dream Police was well worth being the exception.
                              RIP Coach Larry Finch
                              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow
                                I enjoyed the Spiderman comics immensly. I also enjoyed Sins Past but didn't see what the big deal was about. Deodato's artwork was beautiful. He's currently behind Alex Ross on my list of excellent comic artists.
                                I liked Sins Past, too and was incredulous over the reactions to it. I certainly thought that the way Peter's confusion and reactions were depicted was effective and realistic. In the end, I think that it probably may have ended up strengthening his relationship with MJ.

Dream Police was very funny. I loved it. Again, the artwork was beautiful and surprised me. I thought it was going to be a black and white comic, hence my surprise. It's been the first time in about 11 years I purchased an individual comic off the shelf. Dream Police was well worth being the exception.
                                I'd like to see more of Dream Police. I know it's only a one-shot to kick off JMS's stuff in the Icon line but I liked the set-up of everybody having their job to do in the dream realm.

It'll be interesting to see what else comes along from JMS under the Icon imprint. Maybe we'll get to see "Joe's Comics" again after all.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X