Supreme Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Power

I got a hardcover edition that collects the first 12 issues and really enjoyed it. Is this meant to be an ongoing neverending series or will it have an ending like with Midnight Nation and Rising Stars?

According to JMS's post when he first talked about it, it's supposed to be ongoing. Check out:

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1...power%20series

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Anybody read issue #16 of Supreme Power yet? I just got it today. The title was 'The Deconstruction of Mark Milton' and it just sent chills down my spine.

Spoiler - highlight to read:

The back-and-forth of the kindly grandfather bonding with his granddaughter and the military officer coldly plotting the 'deconstruction' of a hero...brrr!

JMS commented at Hawthorne that his decision not to use 'thought captions' in Supreme Power made the characters more ominous somehow and it's true. Having to weigh the actions against the words makes things very interesting.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I agree -- another solid ish.

Quick news bit: according to a recent interview with Marvel EIC Joe Quesada, Supreme Power is moving from MAX (Marvel's mature readers' line) to Marvel Knights (not meant for lil' kids, but not extreme, either). It doesn't say what issue with which this will start to take effect.

The idea is that they'll be able to sell more copies and reach a wider audience, and JMS and Frank don't push the envelope too much anyway. I can't blame them, but I have to wonder what they're going to do about Kingsley. I'm pretty sure Marvel doesn't allow nudity outside of MAX, and I don't see them pulling off one of those seashell bras.

In any case, this is only slightly disappointing artistically, and if this will help it sell, more power to them.

Comment

I don't know...it's not just a nudity issue, is it? I mean, the massacre at the shopping mall was simply brutal and I think it needed to be in order to illustrate what a monster that character was *and* increase the horror level at his making a deal with the PTBs.

If anybody can pull it off, I imagine JMS can, though. He's sold us on lots of stuff we never saw in B5 and Jeremiah.

Jan

Comment

After coming close in the 90's to virtually cutting all ties to comics (I learned to read with the help of a comic book, I think I still have that Incredible Hulk issue somewhere), I only buy tradebacks. I enjoy sitting down with a multi-issue tradeback, and getting up after a good read.

I only own the 2 Supreme Power tradebacks. Both of them have been incredible. I'm definitely looking forward to Vol. 3 when it comes out. Having said that, I could have done without that panel of a nekkid 80-year old lady. Having had the unfortunate experience of seeing my grandmother changing her clothes when I was 7, I almost had the dry heaves.

The only Marvel Knights comics I've read were Kevin Smith's Daredevil run (remember him?) and Jae Lee's Inhumans mini. Both were well done, and darker in tone that the regular Marvel tales. Supreme Power has been even darker and grittier in tone. Yes, with the MAX line they can show nudity and use so-called dirty words, but JMS has more integrity and writing talent than to rely on full-frontal nudity for an entire comic and dialogue reminiscent of the South Park movie. Of course, my last sentence is only taking it to absurd levels.

I just hope that the move to the MK banner doesn't affect the entire tone and feel of Supreme Power.
            RIP Coach Larry Finch
            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Having said that, I could have done without that panel of a nekkid 80-year old lady.
              Oh, c'mon. I've seen more horrific things than that. From younger people too.

If the nekkid crone disturbs you and the 6 foot tall pile of left arms didn't...

I dunno. I'd hate to see it lose the impact of either of those scenes (and like Willie, I'm stuck in the Trade time-delay, so I haven't seen what's next), so I'd rather it stick with Max. The nudity is less an issue - though it helps - as much as the room they have to manuever for shock panels like that, and for plotness sake (could you imagine said crone stopping for a dress first, considering who she is and her bizarro conversation later? Not I). JMS can do the implication trick he does so well, hit us with dialogue rather than visuals, if it ends up switching, but... I rather like him doing this as he is, hitting us with the visual and the mental bricks.
              Radhil Trebors
              Persona Under Construction

Comment

Newsarama has a lengthy article up now.

Not only is JMS okay with the change, it was his idea. I agree, Jan, that it's about more than nudity -- the latitude they were afforded lended to a real sense of reality to the book, like with the mall fight. If JMS is confident he can achieve that through other means, though, I'm happy to see a move that will increase sales and give the book some longevity.

Here's the plan, according to JMS:

The current run of Supreme Power will end with issue #18, followed by a Hyperion mini and a Nighthawk mini, and then a relaunch with a new #1 under the Marvel Knights banner,ö Straczynski told Newsarama. ôInsofar as I know, there really aren't any changes planned in format, editors and certainly not in artist. I've said it elsewhere; I can't see anyone else doing this book but Gary.
                I'll be back to discuss when I have more time and the rest of you have gotten the chance to read it.

-Dan

Comment

I was originally going to wonder if the imprint switch would mean that the MAX issues are going to be retconned. When the article finally moved from Bendis to JMS, my worries were alleviated somewhat. I'd still have to read the remaining issues, then wait for the first collection under the MK banner to finally be at peace, though I'm confident in JMS' scribal abilities. What you don't see usually scares and shocks the audience more than what you do see. The first example I can think though not written by JMS' is the chainsaw scene in the '83 remake of Scarface.
                  Last edited by David Panzer; 05-02-2005, 08:10 PM.
                  RIP Coach Larry Finch
                  Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                  Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by Working Class Hero
                    I'll be back to discuss when I have more time and the rest of you have gotten the chance to read it.

-Dan
                    Thanks, Dan. That actually soothes my concern quite a bit. I'd still prefer JMS not have limitations but I do have faith in his abilities.

Now to sit back and watch people scream that it's all just a ploy to create another #1.

Jan

Comment

Ah well. I kinda liked having comics that even my cousin didn't read (and he can probably recite Marvel universe canon back to front). Can't really argue with Joe's reasoning though. If it's a choice between a good reader base and a whopping reader base, then they should take the money on the table and the megaphone for the story.

So long as they keep that story as adult as it came from. I think Joe can handle that.
                      Radhil Trebors
                      Persona Under Construction

Comment

I have a question:

When can we expect the next SP collection (vol. 3) to be released? I've been waiting ever since issue 12 to pick up the next 6-issue installment in this series, but nothing seems to have materialized yet (nor has a 6-issue set of the Joe Ledger mini for that matter).

Is it coming at all?

Comment

The last issue I got of SP was #17. I don't know how long it takes for collections to come out in trade paperback form after that, sorry.

Jan

Comment

I am not an expert on TPBs etc., but I wouldn't have thought the next Supreme Power TPB would appear until after Issue #18 has hit the stands.

In that case, bank on at least another couple of months or so.
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Working...
                            X