Dr. Strange Mini Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Strange Mini Series

Has anyone read it? Is is any good and worth getting into now?

Thanks,
    aaron
    ---
    Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
    www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

I'm curious, too. I think this is the only JMS comic I've passed on so far.

Comment

Re: Dr. Strange Mini Series

Originally posted by thebaron
      Has anyone read it? Is is any good and worth getting into now?
      I'm enjoying it. There's only a few issues so far so I have more questions than answers, but I like the character.

I've never read any Doc Strange before so I don't have any frame of reference but I've heard that there have been a few changes in some of the details from the original story. What JMS said at Hawthorne was:

Audience: Is there anything you can tell us about the Dr. Strange Limited Series?

JMS: The Dr. Strange mini-series, turned the first script in. Me and Samm Barnes are writing it. It's a 6-issue mini that, in essence, reimagines his past, his art and his background. The problem if you look a Doc Strange is that his look, his way of doing business, everything about him is rooted in 1950s style Vegas magicians - the big cloak and all the rest of it and Lovecraft. Which is an odd combination. Well, maybe not. Now that I think about it if Lovecraft had imagined Vegas it would pretty much be as it is now. And...I'm trying to find new ways of making the character current. A lot of guys have had a hard time writing for that character, my job, as with Peter Parker, is to peel away all of the detritus and the ancillary stuff, get down to "who is this guy?" ultimately. I think that when it's all said and done, it's a pretty good story. Yes...
      HTH,

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Re: Re: Dr. Strange Mini Series

Originally posted by Jan
        I'm enjoying it. There's only a few issues so far so I have more questions than answers, but I like the character.

HTH,

Jan
        It has helped immensly. Now the next question is, where on the net do I buy the books currently out?
        ---

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Dr. Strange Mini Series

Originally posted by thebaron
          It has helped immensly. Now the next question is, where on the net do I buy the books currently out?
          I generally go to Ebay first and I see a few auctions for all three issues startin around $4-5 plus shipping. Oddly (strange-ly? <g>) enough, you're better off doing a search for 'Straczynski' because the main seller misspelled 'Strange.

I've also heard good things about Mile High Comics but don't think I've ever ordered from them.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I have ordered from Milehighcomics.com many times over the years, and have always been satisfied. They have frequent sales, so it's good to get on the e-mail list for those.

Speaking of Milehigh, they have the entire first issue online for free:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstl...rvel/strange1/

If you want to find a comic shop near you, go to http://csls.diamondcomics.com/

I believe issue four is out next week (the 23rd). If I were you, though, I'd wait for the trade paperback collecting the entire mini-series. I love the trade format -- you can put it on your bookshelf, they have no ads and often some cool extras, and are generally a hare cheaper, especially if you have to track down back issues otherwise. Marvel generally releases trades two months after something wraps, which I think would put the Strange trade around June. It hasn't been solicited yet, but I can post a release date here when it has.

I hope this helps. I'll be around if you have any other comics questions.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Working Class Hero
              I

Can you let us know if you hear of any plans for Strange after the mini-series? I know JMS might not be writing it but I might want to keep getting it to see where it goes.

Thanks,
              Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Working Class Hero
                I have ordered from Milehighcomics.com many times over the years, and have always been satisfied. They have frequent sales, so it's good to get on the e-mail list for those.

Speaking of Milehigh, they have the entire first issue online for free:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstl...rvel/strange1/

If you want to find a comic shop near you, go to http://csls.diamondcomics.com/

I believe issue four is out next week (the 23rd). If I were you, though, I'd wait for the trade paperback collecting the entire mini-series. I love the trade format -- you can put it on your bookshelf, they have no ads and often some cool extras, and are generally a hare cheaper, especially if you have to track down back issues otherwise. Marvel generally releases trades two months after something wraps, which I think would put the Strange trade around June. It hasn't been solicited yet, but I can post a release date here when it has.

-Dan
                Thanks for the insight. I think that getting the trade paperback seems the best bet.
                ---

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                  Can you let us know if you hear of any plans for Strange after the mini-series? I know JMS might not be writing it but I might want to keep getting it to see where it goes.

Thanks,
                  Jan
                  Sure, I'm happy to pass along what I hear. I don't get the impression that the current mini has made a big splash, so my guess is, Dr. Strange will get put back in the drawer, and get tapped for another mini or ongoing a few years down the road. In the meantime, he's a popular choice for guest appearances, having recently shown up in Daredevil and Avengers. I'm sure he'll poke his nose into Marvel's big summer event, House of M, this year.

Whether or not any changes JMS made will be incorporated in the future is hard to say. I'd like to get this, but there are so many good comics coming out right now, and I only have so much time and money. We'll see.

EDIT: Speak of the Devil -- Strange will guest star in Excalibur in May, which is a House of M prelude.

Check out these covers to JMS comics that month:

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/May_05/FF527_COV.jpg
                  http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/May_...NGE006_COV.jpg

Purrrrrty.

-Dan
                  Last edited by Working Class Hero; 02-18-2005, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X