• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    From the Studio JMS site:

Phase Two is a follow-up, live-action web series that takes Al — a private investigator in the field of the paranormal, who specializes in preventing the end of the world — into new worlds and new dangers. The series is currently slated to air on MTV.com with production to start late in 2013/spring of 2014.

I wonder if this ever happened? I get the feeling a lot of things have been shelved since the success of Sense8.
    No it didn't. Whatever part of MTV was going to do it, they folded so JMS did the comics instead.

Poor Al, first it was an audio drama that was made but never aired in Canada then it was supposed to be a web series. At least we got the comics. And the first issue as audio drama.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    From the Studio JMS site:

Phase Two is a follow-up, live-action web series that takes Al — a private investigator in the field of the paranormal, who specializes in preventing the end of the world — into new worlds and new dangers. The series is currently slated to air on MTV.com with production to start late in 2013/spring of 2014.

I wonder if this ever happened? I get the feeling a lot of things have been shelved since the success of Sense8.

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I've loved Sid Kotian's art both in this title and Dream police. Something wierd happened at the end of this issue, though. I don't have the eye to know whether it was a line art or a coloring issue but in several of the panels when Al is in the bathtub her face looks completely inhuman with black blotches in place of facial features. I'm assuming that it was supposed to be illustrating the shadows on her face from the candle light but it really didn't work at all well and at least a couple of those shadows didn't correspond to anything that might have cast a shadow that I could tell.
    I didn't think the black blotches were that bad, but maybe in my printing they are slightly different. The worst panel was the "what do you want?" one.

Overall it was a great series, though I like the first two issues the most.

I'm glad to see that JMS does plan to give us more. I am looking forward to the next apocalypse from which Al needs save us.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Just found this on Twitter:

Originally posted by @straczynski
    "do you plan to do more Apocalypse Al?" Almost certainly.
    Yay!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    My copy of issue #4 won't arrive for another month, but I just read issue #3. To tell the truth, while the whole business with the troll was a lot of fun, the non-stop Disney attack that followed was a bit much for me. I'm still highly anticipating that final issue and I'll see whether the printing in my issue shows the weird stuff that Jan saw.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Sad to read the final issue in this run of The Adventures of Apocalypse Al. I loved the entire thing, start to finish. As nottenst said, there are a lot of great quotes throughout. Hope we'll get to see her again soon!

I've loved Sid Kotian's art both in this title and Dream police. Something wierd happened at the end of this issue, though. I don't have the eye to know whether it was a line art or a coloring issue but in several of the panels when Al is in the bathtub her face looks completely inhuman with black blotches in place of facial features. I'm assuming that it was supposed to be illustrating the shadows on her face from the candle light but it really didn't work at all well and at least a couple of those shadows didn't correspond to anything that might have cast a shadow that I could tell.

Minor thing, though, given the great story and overall art.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    Reading issue #2 - just on page 3 and there are already a lot of great quotes, but I feel compelled to write one:

"We decide when the end of the world comes, not some nut with an overly ambitious library card."
    Last edited by nottenst; 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This title's only four (oversized) issues so it probably won't be too long. JMS found a great artist for this. Looking forward to seeing what he does with Dream Police, too.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    I will check out the TPB when it drops. This book looks like a lot of fun.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS linked to a favorite scene from AA #3:

http://www.popmatters.com/post/17983...ocalypse-al-3/

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Seems a bit unnecessary to me, but good on JMS for amending to make his intentions crystal clear. I kinda like a bit of ambiguity, but if it's not the type he’d intended, which it obviously wasn’t… then fair enough!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    SPOILER clarification from JMS regarding this issue. Probably best to read the book first.:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
    Sidebar comment on Apocalypse Al 2, which came out today. When I wrote the scene with Ronnie the Techno-Wizard, the line introducing him stipulates that he "has a fetish for women's clothing and what HE thinks is a puckish sense of humor."

My intent, with that scene, was that to annoy her he uses mystical skills to dematerialize random objects of clothing, only UNDER her clothes, and rematerialize them either backwards or across the room...but that at NO time did he ever lay a hand on her, because if he did, she would simply kill him.

When I wrote that sequence, because I aimed it at clothing and puckishness, it never occurred to me that it could be misread as more physical than that. After the issue went to press, one person read that scene and said, "y'know, this could be read as he's taking liberties with her body."

I was aghast at the whole idea, and though it was too late to change the comic, immediately gave instructions to change this for the trade. The description now reads "He also has what HE thinks is a puckish sense of humor that involves the mystic, random and hands-off dematerialization and rematerialization of women's clothing."

Just to make it absolutely clear that he never laid a finger on her in *any* of this. If it came across in any other way, know that it was a) absolutely not intentional and b) that we've already made revisions to the trade to ensure it won't be read otherwise.
    Jan
    who really hadn't overthought it but it's probably good that it's revised for the trade.
    Last edited by Jan; 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    JMS posted a link to preview pages for #2 coming out this week:

http://www.comicbookresources.com:80...eview&id=20559

"...overly ambitious library card" Gotta love it!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• nottenst
    replied
    I just read/listened to the first issue.
    http://studiojms.com/apocalypse-al-audio/

It was loads of fun and is my favorite of the Joe's Comics line so far.

The art is absolutely spectacular in some places. The best voices in the audio were Mike and Max - just great characters there.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Holy crap! Check out these page previews... the art... is... gorgeous. Really inventive panel layouts.

This just became a 'must check out' comic for me.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comic...calypse-al/#/6

Leave a comment:

Working...
X