No announcement yet.

The Adventures of Apocalypse Al - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My comic shop owner promised that I could have the retailer edition when he's done with it. Hoping to pick it up this Wednesday.

Jan
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

JMS posted the trailer for AA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sz6pEaOqU

I did get the comic shop special from my comic guy and I *really* love this book! The art looks great, too. Can't wait to see the colored version.

Jan
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

For some reason I didn't remember ordering issue #1. I was looking in Previews for my next orders and was shocked to see #2. Then I looked at my last order and there it was. I get my comics the first day or so of every month, so if it comes out the first week of February I probably won't get mine until my March delivery. I'll have check back here then.

Comment

According to the Image site, Apocalypse Al should be out Feb. 5.

Here are some concept descriptions and art:

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/pr...-apocalypse-al

Jan

Comment

From the linked article:

"What we didn't want was someone in a tight costume, body parts hanging out all over the place (though there is one — and only one — scene of her in a nighty in the first issue, not thereafter). We wanted to make the point that a female comic character could be strong and dynamic without being exploitive (except that one scene, we swear to god). Her job is preventing the end of the world, a task passed down her family line generation after generation. She is often the only sane one in any given situation."

Kinda ironic when the cover for issue 2 is Al in skintight red spandex, a fairly sexualised image, battling what looks to be a mechanical beast of some sort. Might be a one off, and part of the storytelling as a whole? Or maybe it's intended as a send up of the superhero genre?

Cover in question here

Personally, I have no problems with it at all (i'm not part of the 'comics are deeply sexist' brigade), but it does seem to go against the stated aims somewhat.
            Last edited by Ubik; 01-24-2014, 06:07 AM.
            Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

(Looks at the image and decides that it's leather, not spandex.) And knowing JMS, I'm definitely going to wait to find out the 'why' of it, especially considering this part of the sales copy: techno-wizard who has his eyes on your bra and the keys to the Cybervoid

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                (Looks at the image and decides that it's leather, not spandex.) And knowing JMS, I'm definitely going to wait to find out the 'why' of it, especially considering this part of the sales copy: techno-wizard who has his eyes on your bra and the keys to the Cybervoid

Jan
                Yeah, I figured there'd be a good reason... I'm bored, so I'm nit picking.

Ha... that sales copy is amazing!

Comment

I've been waiting for this series in some form since the first time I heard of it in (checks...) 2003!

With the demise of MTVwhateveritwas, I wonder if JMS might someday do the planned web series via StudioJMS? Hmmm...I think I'll go ask (later, since they blocked Facebook here at work)!

Jan

Comment

I've been waiting for this series in some form since the first time I heard of it in (checks...) 2003!
                    Wow... it's been a long time coming!

I keep hoping Joe's Comics will go after the license to do B5 comics. Perhaps it's too costly... It still strikes me as a very good way to do new stories in the B5 universe. But that's perhaps another thread entirely.

Comment

Here's a fun interview about Apocalypse Al. Looks like for part of it he talks about Dream Police but the interviewer doesn't make it clear.

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/in...-apocalypse-al

(JMS notes that the sketches of Al are preliminaries that weren't used.)

Jan
                      Last edited by Jan; 01-25-2014, 07:25 AM.

Comment

With the demise of MTVwhateveritwas, I wonder if JMS might someday do the planned web series via StudioJMS? Hmmm...I think I'll go ask (later, since they blocked Facebook here at work)!

Jan
                        Got the answer:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
                        All options are on the table.
                        Could be fun.

Jan

Comment

Holy crap! Check out these page previews... the art... is... gorgeous. Really inventive panel layouts.

This just became a 'must check out' comic for me.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comic...calypse-al/#/6

Comment

I just read/listened to the first issue.
                            http://studiojms.com/apocalypse-al-audio/

It was loads of fun and is my favorite of the Joe's Comics line so far.

The art is absolutely spectacular in some places. The best voices in the audio were Mike and Max - just great characters there.

Comment

JMS posted a link to preview pages for #2 coming out this week:

http://www.comicbookresources.com:80...eview&id=20559

"...overly ambitious library card" Gotta love it!

Jan

Comment

SPOILER clarification from JMS regarding this issue. Probably best to read the book first.:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
                                Sidebar comment on Apocalypse Al 2, which came out today. When I wrote the scene with Ronnie the Techno-Wizard, the line introducing him stipulates that he "has a fetish for women's clothing and what HE thinks is a puckish sense of humor."

My intent, with that scene, was that to annoy her he uses mystical skills to dematerialize random objects of clothing, only UNDER her clothes, and rematerialize them either backwards or across the room...but that at NO time did he ever lay a hand on her, because if he did, she would simply kill him.

When I wrote that sequence, because I aimed it at clothing and puckishness, it never occurred to me that it could be misread as more physical than that. After the issue went to press, one person read that scene and said, "y'know, this could be read as he's taking liberties with her body."

I was aghast at the whole idea, and though it was too late to change the comic, immediately gave instructions to change this for the trade. The description now reads "He also has what HE thinks is a puckish sense of humor that involves the mystic, random and hands-off dematerialization and rematerialization of women's clothing."

Just to make it absolutely clear that he never laid a finger on her in *any* of this. If it came across in any other way, know that it was a) absolutely not intentional and b) that we've already made revisions to the trade to ensure it won't be read otherwise.
                                Jan
                                who really hadn't overthought it but it's probably good that it's revised for the trade.
                                Last edited by Jan; 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X