No announcement yet.

"Before Watchmen" - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interview with JMS and some preview pages for the final Dr. Manhattan that comes out tomorrow:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...8-fbdabcb4ffa3

Jan
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

I may have to overlook my 'moral objection' to this series and read the Dr. Manhattan issues. Looks like JMS has done some interesting things with this book.
      Last edited by Ubik; 02-27-2013, 11:10 AM.
      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Nice review of the final Dr. Manhattan issue here:

http://www.silversnail.com/article/5...enDrManhattan4

Jan
        Last edited by Jan; 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM.
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Just finished up reading JMS' Dr. Manhattan miniseries.

I was intrigued by all the positive reviews, so decided to momentarily set aside my moral objections to the 'Before Watchmen' series to investigate further. I read all four issues this evening and the conclusion is: It's very good.

I have to hand it to the creative team for delivering a story that is respectful of the original work, yet still manages to do its own thing. It adds value to the Watchmen universe without cheapening it or feeling like a quick cash in.

Overall, some nice layouts, especially the inverted panels which were used well to show changes in perspective. This is by far the tightest bit of comic book writing I've seen Joe do. It also avoids using any of his usual tropes and themes. It's new ground, and feels very fresh. There's an obvious respect for Moore & Gibbon's original creation and it definitely shines through here. He's put in the work, and this has to be the crowning glory of the entire series. I'm still not convinced Before Watchmen should have, or needed to happen, but at least we got some good comics out of it!

I'm now very interested to see Joe get back to creator own work.
          Last edited by Ubik; 03-02-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

My thoughts on Dr. Manhattan compared to the rest of the BW series

http://robpatey.com/2013/02/26/dr-manhattan-4-review/

Comment

Nice review. Although, I think the four issue mini series format suited it perfectly. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, it played a hand in making this as good as it is. It's a really focused, concentrated story, extend it and I think you'd lose some of that.

Plus, I have no real desire to see much more added to the Watchmen universe.

Comment

Before Watchmen: Night Owl/Dr. Manhattan hardcover graphic novel is #3 on the NYT Hardcover Graphic Books list. Harlan Ellison's "7 Against Chaos" is #4.

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...ooks/list.html

Jan

Comment

Sorry to revive a three year old thread, but I finally had a chance to read the NightOwl/Dr. Manhattan/Moloch graphic novel I picked up at the 20th anniversary Phoenix ComicCon.

I've not been a huge comics reader since I was in Jr. High back in the '70s, and so I never read Watchmen when it came out (didn't read it till the movie version).

I enjoyed the hell out of this GN. But one thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread, is the uncanny resemblance (at least to me) that Twilight Woman had with a certain Redheaded teep we all know (and many men lust after) and love.

Everytime I saw her on the page her face reminded me so much of Pat Tallman.

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this?
                  All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

No problem reviving a thread as long as it's still on topic.

I don't think I recall noticing a resemblance but It's possible.

I did, however picture Pat when reading The Adventures of Apocalypse Al. But then, she also was Al in the audio drama of the first episode.

Jan

Comment

Here's a SFW page that shows what I saw. Her face has the same shape as Pat's and of course the red hair.

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X