Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Owl Justice! Because Justice can find you in the shadows and the dark!"

Nice!
    Heroes never die. They're only replaced by younger actors.

Comment

Okay, I've added the SPOILER warning to the thread title since some of what JMS posted includes minor spoilage. First is an advance review for the first Dr. Manhattan:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski

Great review of my first Dr. Manhattan issue in Entertainment Weekly this week. (They received an advance copy.)

"The first wave of the miniseries has received solid to sensational reviews, and the soon-to-Iaunch last two titles in the line-Dr. Manhattan by
      J. Michael Straczynski and Adam Hughes, and Rorschach by Brian
      Azzarello and Lee Bermejo-may be the best yet. Dr. Manhattan, a
      nonlinear tale that skips back and forth through time, finds the blue and nude quantum-powered superman investigating the mystery of his origins." Cool....
      And talking about some of the more clueless Night Owl reviews:

Best negative Nite Owl review I got was one where the reviewer yelled at how I didn't even bother to set the story in a particular time period, and how disgraceful that was and how it removed any chance of meaningfulness...when there are three -- THREE -- locator captions in the book specifying the time *to the day*: February 16, 1962..."two years and change later"...and 1966. I mean, they were *right there*.

The other thing that just amuses the hell out of me is all the online reviewers who yell at me (including that guy) for Nite Owl's parting line about how he felt he and Silk Spectre were meant to be together, saying it was a cheap and cheesy reference to what happens in the original book and there's NOTHING in the current book to indicate that...and completely, utterly, totally miss something extremely important that happened in full view just *two pages earlier*...a little incident that will show up in the Dr. Manhattan book as well.

I love it...especially knowing what's coming in the next month of books.
      I didn't keep track of any of the reviews I read but I remember wondering about the 'no clue as to when things happened' review. Didn't seem like we'd read the same comic at all.

Jan
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

A couple of JMS posts overnight.

This is cute:

Whatever side one may be on in the Watchmen debate, this is kinda funny (they use my issue as a prop). (On, and Alan *does* have a credit.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p22W7...layer_embedded
        and

BTW, with the publication of Nite Owl #1, I forgot to mention that all 4 scripts are now in hand. Onward and upward
        "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Interestingly, in Ozymandias written by Len Wein, there is a line about never starting a fight but always finishing it...

Comment

JMS posted over the weekend to remind us that Night Owl #2 comes out this Wednesday.

Jan

Comment

Cover and preview pages for Night Owl #2:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=64819

Jan

Comment

Two issues out and I'm enjoying the story. Some of the background stuff has made me wince but not because of the writing, because it felt all too true. So far this is the only title I've read, though I'm getting the entire series.

Anybody else pick up Night Owl #2 yet? Thoughts?

Jan

Comment

I haven't quite caught up to #2 yet. I've been reading them all so far but haven't gone past Minutemen #2 yet. I think Comedian is the least interesting of the bunch; I am liking Ozymandias a lot so far. Nite Owl #1 was good though. Definitely enjoying Joe's writing and good to see comics from him again!

Comment

Can't find any articles as yet but I've seen posts from Peter David and Colleen Doran that Joe Kubert has passed away. Very sad news.

ETA: http://www.comicmix.com/news/obituar...ert-1926-2012/
                    Joe Kubert, one of the greatest masters of the comics art form, died today after a short illness, three weeks short of his 86th birthday
                    ETA: JMS has posted now:
                    shared a link.

Very sad news: the legendary Joe Kubert, most recently inker on Before Watchmen: Nite Owl, passed away this afternoon. He was a giant among us. http://ifanboy.com/articles/in-memor...ert-1926-2012/

Jan
                    Last edited by Jan; 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

pretty pointless so far

having read all the "before ******** i can from shops rather than paying
                      i have to say the comics arnt bad but
                      there just so pointless
                      i really didnt care if jupiter ran way or any of the other mildy interesting things that went on
                      its not a travesty(except that it exists in the first place)
                      but its so "lite beer" as to be completely missable

and as for the logical argument that moore stole characters so its okay
                      still doesnt make it right
                      pretty much grasping at straw if thats the best you can do

lets remember these writers names in a few years
                      and purchase accordingly
                      (like a good version of mcCarthism)

Comment

JMS posted a link to the first of the DR. MANHATTAN issues:

http://www.poptardsgo.com/?p=3972

What DR. MANHATTAN actually delivers is the cleverest most mind-bending prequel to date.
                        ETA: Oops, missed the preview pages: http://buzzcomics.net/showpost.php?p...37&postcount=1

Jan
                        Last edited by Jan; 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          JMS posted a link to the first of the DR. MANHATTAN issues:

http://www.poptardsgo.com/?p=3972

ETA: Oops, missed the preview pages: http://buzzcomics.net/showpost.php?p...37&postcount=1

Jan
                          Just read this book yesterday. I have to say, it's a fantastic classic sci-fi. If someone on this board is into that genre and JMS (which I know you are!) I highly recommend it. Art is incredible too.
                          Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I'm definitely going to have to read it a couple more times. There's a LOT there to absorb but I liked it a lot.

Jan

Comment

JMS hinted at a comic announcement yesterday and here it is:

û J. Michael Straczynski & Eduardo Risso to Amaze and Astonish with BEFORE WATCHMEN: MOLOCH

http://ifanboy.com/articles/fanexpo-...tchmen-moloch/

During todayÆs DC Entertainment-All Access panel at Fan Expo in Toronto, the publisher announced a new addition to the Before Watchmen line. In the two issue Before Watchmen: Moloch, writer J. Michael Straczynski and artist Eduardo Risso will amaze and astonish with the origins of Edward William Jacobi. Just who is Moloch the Mystic, and how did his own fate entwine itself so inextricably with that of the Minutemen?
                              CBR talks to JMS about it here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40654

Jan

Comment

cant wait for the next prequel
                                were we see night owl and silk spectre learn to cook
                                and rorschach has a B5 5th season marathon
                                and other pointless money grabbing stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X