"Before Watchmen" - SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post from JMS:

For a hidden preview of Before Watchmen art go here and click on "punks" mid-article: http://www.dccomics.com/watchmen/new-frontiersman
    I saw some of this at C2E2 and it looked really good even though I had a lousy seat for the panel.

Jan
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

I've posted the entirety of this JMS facebook post up in the 'interesting posts' thread because I think it's excellent information for anyone breaking into pretty much any business. This post is a response from JMS regarding some outrage over something he said at the C2E2 convention:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalin...39652459402959

And because I've seen him mis-quoted in a few places, let me assure you that what JMS quotes himself as saying *is* what he said-I was there.

Jan
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

A great example of a poster getting a far more civil reply than he deserves:

...The question for JMS is not whether people have or have not been screwed before, but whether you, JMS, want to sign on to screwing over Alan Moore right now.

Are you an artist, or are you a scab? We all know how you've answered that question. The rest is just hand waving.
        Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
        ...leaving aside whether or not you can have a conversation without resorting to name calling...hereÆs where this conversation becomes circular and impossible to win or discuss logically. It always ends up going something like this.

DC is stealing these characters from Alan!

Actually, DC owns the characters, so itÆs legal.

ThatÆs not the point! The creator of those characters wouldnÆt want them used! They were made to be finite!

You mean like the Invisible Man and Jekyll and Hyde were meant to be finite.

ThatÆs different! Alan can use those characters because theyÆre public domain!

Because theyÆre public domain, so itÆs legal.

ThatÆs right! ThatÆs the point!

Even though the creators wouldnÆt want them used in this way?

TheyÆre dead, fuck æem! He has the legal right to use them if he wants to!

You mean just like DC has the legal right to use the Watchmen characters.

ThatÆs not the point!

And we circle back to where we started....

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
          A great example of a poster getting a far more civil reply than he deserves:
          Yup, that's been about the entire argument I've seen summed up. I've seen some of the pencil art for the books and it's pretty phenomenal stuff. DC really has put a good group working on this and they seem really passionate about making the books good. And DC owns the books. If someone doesn't want more watchmen - don't buy it. I just wish George Lucas would give the option to buy just the IV-VI blu rays!
          Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I agree that what artwork has come out for it looks great, but I've already stated how the entire project hasn't convinced me to climb on board.

And comics from the 90s showed me that artwork alone doesn't make a good comic.
            RIP Coach Larry Finch
            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow View Post
              I agree that what artwork has come out for it looks great, but I've already stated how the entire project hasn't convinced me to climb on board.

And comics from the 90s showed me that artwork alone doesn't make a good comic.
              What about good artwork + Joe Straczynski writing?
              True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I'm still passing.
                RIP Coach Larry Finch
                Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Reviews by those lucky enough to be invited to DC's sneak preview of the works-in-progress have been posted here and there. Here's one:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38731

Comment

JMS posted a link to some preview pages for the first issue coming out this week:

http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/958...5c07uacje4f90u

Jan

Comment

I read Minutemen #1. I liked the beginning pages where the comic turns around the opening narration as something the character is working with and that he doesn't like himself. The art is good at creating an atmosphere that seems appropriate to the story. It held my attention enough to think that issue #2 will go somewhere interesting, but since it introduces every minutemen character it doesn't really have time to settle down on any particular path in this issue.

Comment

Here's a link JMS posted with some preview pages for the first Silk Spectre issue:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...ectre-no-1/#/1

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
                          I read Minutemen #1. I liked the beginning pages where the comic turns around the opening narration as something the character is working with and that he doesn't like himself. The art is good at creating an atmosphere that seems appropriate to the story. It held my attention enough to think that issue #2 will go somewhere interesting, but since it introduces every minutemen character it doesn't really have time to settle down on any particular path in this issue.
                          The art was nice, but I felt the story left something to be desired. A disjointed telling of a few origin stories in a couple pages with no real direction for it. Like you mentioned, I hope issue 2 takes it somewhere.

Comment

Anyone read Silk Spectre yet? Something I just like about Amanda Conner, but I can't quite articulate what it is. Good setup connecting back to the Minutemen Silk Spectre and showing where her daughter's motivations are in this. Looking forward to the rest of this one. Tomorrow Comedian #1 comes out (Brian Azzarello) and next week is JMS' Nite Owl.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
                              Anyone read Silk Spectre yet? Something I just like about Amanda Conner, but I can't quite articulate what it is. Good setup connecting back to the Minutemen Silk Spectre and showing where her daughter's motivations are in this. Looking forward to the rest of this one. Tomorrow Comedian #1 comes out (Brian Azzarello) and next week is JMS' Nite Owl.
                              Not yet. I picked up the first couple but haven't had a chance to read them yet. JMS posted a reminder that his first Night Owl comes out on Wed. and posted a link to the cover of his #3:

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sit..._NITEOWL_3.jpg

For some reason I'd thought that once each mini had begun, the rest would follow weekly but he corrected me:
                              No, the weekly rotation between the titles means that only my first issue will be out before SDCC. After me comes Rorschach and Ozymandius, then my second issue hits August 1st. My first Dr. Manhattan comes out on, I believe, August 22.
                              Jan

Comment

JMS just linked to preview pages for tomorrow's release of Night Owl #1

http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...23&postcount=1

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X