X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sue is my favorite Wonder Person!

Comment

New WW Elsewhere in DCU

A couple of things of note on Wonder Woman in other appearances in the DC Universe.

The recent DC Halloween special showed the new look WW on the cover butin the actual story, it was the classic WW look.

The first issue of the JLA/The 99 crossover comic has Wonder Woman with the new look, although she doesn't do or say much in the story to reveal anything about the character's place in the DCU. Of course, this may be a more generalized version of the JLA (since Superman himself hasn't been that involved with the Justice League of late), so it may have just been DC saying she should look like the current incarnation.
      Webmaster
      SFTV.org
      B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Son of Baldwin = Awesomesauce

And at NYCC I spoke with the writer of JLA/99, Stuart Moore, who explained that they were using the new costume for propriety's sake considering the 99 are an Islamic superhero team. He told me that the new costume debut was just a convenience and that if it hadn't been around they would have used a more modest version of the costume based on past variations (like the formal full cloak she's been known to wear)

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelforce View Post
          However, I really would like to see a bit more personality in Diana. So far, all we've really seen is anger, though the last few panels of 604 with the tears of joy at her first flight was a huge step in the right direction.
          We've seen her treat the Oracle gently and hold her hands, too. I think some of the characterization isn't spoken with this version of Diana.

Currently the book feels a bit too generic for my liking and I think the problem is that JMS is concentrating too much on plotline (which has me *very* intrigued) and not enough on characterization (though what we've seen of Hippolyta is exceedingly well done).

I am, however, very patient, especially when one of my favorite writers is handling things. I'm anxiously awaiting a return to alpha power levels as well as seeing the more compassionate side of Diana that makes her so unique in the superhero world, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the journey there!

I have faith that all that's comin' eventually
          That's interesting to me because it's been *so* long since I'd read Wonder Woman (it was back when she was all goo-goo-eyed for Steve, iirc) that I don't recall a softer side that wasn't kinda sappy (in tune with the times, of course). While I tried to pick up the title when Gail Simone (sp?) took it over, I was completely lost and dropped it quickly.

Question: I remember the lasso forcing people to tell the truth but I don't recall anything about its effect being like in the latest issue where the one caught in it would lose their will to escape. Is my memory faulty or what?

Jan
          "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            We've seen her treat the Oracle gently and hold her hands, too. I think some of the characterization isn't spoken with this version of Diana.

That's interesting to me because it's been *so* long since I'd read Wonder Woman (it was back when she was all goo-goo-eyed for Steve, iirc) that I don't recall a softer side that wasn't kinda sappy (in tune with the times, of course). While I tried to pick up the title when Gail Simone (sp?) took it over, I was completely lost and dropped it quickly.

Question: I remember the lasso forcing people to tell the truth but I don't recall anything about its effect being like in the latest issue where the one caught in it would lose their will to escape. Is my memory faulty or what?

Jan
            I agree there is subtle characterization, but overall, Diana has come across to me (so far) as defiant, angry and vengeful. The Diana most of the current fans are familiar with is wise, compassionate and loving (see WW:Blackest Night where was described as the embodiment of love)

The story so far, though, hasn't allowed much else due to the plotline/situation. I expect to see more depth and dimension as the setting changes in the coming issues.

As to the lasso, this is definitely something new and I'm very curious to see where he goes with it

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelforce View Post
              As to the lasso, this is definitely something new and I'm very curious to see where he goes with it
              Well, as JMS said in New York, the gods were obviously sloppy when they 'left' so it'll be interesting to see what stays and what goes after the parallel universe rejoins ours.

Of course, the guy (whose name escapes me at the moment) could have just been wrong, too.

Jan
              "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Working...
              X