No announcement yet.

Superman: Grounded (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished #706 and it wasn't bad. I liked it better than the Lois interlude issue by the same writer but...well, it was still kind of obvious - the problem the solution, the stories. JMS' stories are seldom obvious and if they are, it's generally something that needs saying.

I *loved* the cover, though.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Granted, I'm not a huge comic follower but this seems odd. Newsarama is reporting that DC has spiked the story for Superman #712:

DC Comics determined that the previously solicited story did not work within the “Grounded” storyline. However, Chris Roberson, will be back for the final two issues of Superman’s year long walk across America. As we near the conclusion, catch up with Superman next month as he makes stops in Portland and Newberg, OR.
      ...and replaced it with a 'lost' one-shot written by Kurt Busiek sometime around 2007. This seems to be sudden since Comic Book Resources quotes writer Chris Roberson as posting:

"As much as I look forward to seeing an unpublished Kurt Busiek Superman story, it's a shame that DC didn't determine that the story we prepared for Superman 712 didn't work in the Grounded storyline in time for us to do a different story. As it happened, the Sharif story was included in the outline for the remaining issues of Grounded that I submitted in November. The outline was approved, and in February the issue synopsis that I provided was used to draft the solicitation text, to work up character designs for Sharif (the grown up version of Sinbad from the early 90s), and for cover art to be pencilled, inked, and colored. The script for the issue was accepted in April, and was drawn, inked, and lettered. Unfortunately, when the issue was ready to be sent to the printer in the third week of May I was informed that the decision had been made not to print it."
      Other comments can be found at Comics Alliance.

The original solicitation for #712 read:

Meet Los Angeles’s newest super hero in the latest Chapter of “Grounded”: Sharif! But Sharif discovers that in today’s current cultural climate, some people don’t want his help – they just want him gone. Can Superman aid Sharif and quell a prejudiced public, or are there some problems too big even for the Man of Steel to solve?
      I've posted a question to JMS's facebook page as to whether the story was part of the notes he'd left for Roberson. Don't know if he'll answer or not.

Jan
      Last edited by Jan; 06-22-2011, 05:44 PM.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Thanks, Johnherpes (and welcome).

Can you clarify that it's an ad or photo that's inside the DC comics that were released this week? I haven't been to the comic shop yet.

I wonder if the cover's online anywhere.

Jan

Comment

Working...
        X