No announcement yet.

Superman: Earth One News (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like Barnes and Noble still has them. I went ahead and placed an online order on Monday, and it has been shipped. their online search of local stores shows most of them in my area (Phoenix Metro) has it in stock. If you want to get a first printing at cover price or less (pre-eord price was less than $12 on bn.com, it is now $14.48) Pretty much a similar story with Borders via Borders.com. Before today, Borders listed it as not available in stores, but now that it is officially released, it does show as "likely in stock". I do have a current 40% coupon for Borders, so maybe and extra one or two might be good to acquire.

A good number of them have sold for above list price on Ebay (including a signed one for $47).
    Webmaster
    SFTV.org
    B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

JMS posted this in response to a question as to whether Lex Luthor will be in the next volume and if there's a date for the second volume:
      Much appreciated. Because I knew Tyrell would be meeting with a less than pleasant fate, there wasn't a great deal of time spent on him. The key was to set up the larger mystery, and determine who gave the order to hit Krypton.

More will be said about the next volume in the next few days. In the interim, I probably won't be using Lex in volume two -- I have plans for that to be done in a very particular way for the greatest impact -- but the Big Bad will be someone known to the fans, albeit in a somewhat transformed manner.
      Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

A sequel is definitely in the works.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/11...-in-the-works/

Unfortunately, this means JMS will be coming off Superman and Wonder Woman though...
        Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Finally : "Earth One" has been dispatched to me.

. . . and now - we wait . . . for it to arrive . . .
          Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Originally posted by frulad View Post
            A sequel is definitely in the works.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/11...-in-the-works/

Unfortunately, this means JMS will be coming off Superman and Wonder Woman though...
            Interesting..

A bit weird about coming off the monthlies.. why all the rush? Why not at least finish the current arcs and then start on the EO books..? I'm sure people could wait a while.

On the other hand, I guess we'll still get JMS' story arc on those, just finished by others. I guess it's a bit like the B5 novels, outline by JMS and written by others.. it could work. Or doing an outline for one season of a TV show, and setting it up for other writers.

I sort of understand the reasons behind it, but this just gives more stuff for people to bitch about, they seem to enjoy spinning everything negatively out there on the internets don't they.

I was already a bit apprehensive when it was announced that JMS would be doing Superman, WW and Earth One.. seemed like Joe and/or DC got a bit carried away and took on too much.

Comment

I picked up Superman: Earth One (I finally found a copy in town) and Absolute All-Star Superman.

I've already read the latter when I checked out the series from the library and after I read it I wanted to own a copy. And from what I read about Earth One, I had to snag a copy.

I will get around to reading Earth One. I'm reading another book right now, but I'm bumping the books on my "next to read" list back so I can read Earth One next.
              RIP Coach Larry Finch
              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Let us know what you think, WSAH.

Chopping up a post from JMS's Facebook Fan page:

The first clutch of pages have gone in on the Superman Earth One sequel (it's terrific to be able to take a few days to think about one scene and get it right), [snip Twelve news]...and the first Superman Earth One has now been on the New York Times B...estseller List for Graphic Novels for four weeks straight, currently occupying the number two slot.
                Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                  Let us know what you think, WSAH.
                  I just finished it a couple minutes ago.

Overall, it was a solid story. Even though telling the origin of Superman is very old hat, especially since it seems DC retells it every few years and then tries to incorporate it into the "canon" through whatever crisis someone comes up to attract new readers, Earth One manages to combine the familiar with some freshness.

I liked how some parts reminded me of what JMS did when he told Hyperion's origin in Supreme Power, but still had elements that was in line with what was done before.

The neighboring planet of Krypton being the reason for Krypton's destruction via gifts from a "mysterious benefactor" (I'm only guessing Brainiac, but I think all guesses are wild) was an interesting twist. If the Earth One series continues, I just hope the payoff will be worth the ride and that it simply isn't a tale of vengeance. Park Chan-wook's Vengeance trilogy is still fresh in my mind, and shows how revenge affects the victims as well, instead of only showing the perpetrators receiving their due.

The only quibble is when Clark went around trying to find a job that he wanted. After everything calms down after avoiding annihilation, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them thinks "Hey, doesn't he look like that kid that came out of nowhere and wowed us?". I think that's only my cynicism peeking out.

Another I enjoyed, but not related to the story, is that there was a lot of meat (story) to take in. One of the things that contributed to my ceasing the purchase of individual issues is that I don't like reading only part of the story. When I purchase a novel, I get it all at once to read at my leisure. I wouldn't purchase a novel if every chapter was released on a monthly basis. That's why I prefer purchasing them in trade paperback or hardcover collections, or buying stand-alone graphic novels. It makes for a much enjoyable read when I'm sitting in my recliner with a snack and something to drink.

In the end, I think DC has something great on their hands with their Earth One imprint. I'm eagerly awaiting the next Superman one, and I'll get that Batman: Earth One as well.
                  RIP Coach Larry Finch
                  Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                  Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-.../overview.html
                    New York Times Best Sellers Books
                    17 December 2010
                    Hardcover Graphic Books
                    1. SERENITY: THE SHEPHERDÆS TALE, by Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon and Chris Samnee
                    2. BRIGHTEST DAY, VOL. 1, by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi
                    3. THE WALKING DEAD, BOOK 1, by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard
                    4. THE ADVENTURES OF OOK AND GLUK, by George Beard and Harold Hutchins
                    5. SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, by J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis
                    Complete List ╗
                    http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-...ooks/list.html
                    5. SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, by J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis. (DC Comics, $19.99.) This original graphic novel, the first in a planned series, offers a different take on Clark KentÆs earliest days as Superman. Last Week 7
                    Last edited by Dan Dassow; 12-19-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
                      In looking back at the list, S:EO was #1 for four of its first five weeks and #2 the other week before it dropped to #5 in the latest week. They definitely got more of them into the stores after the initial sell-out.

Lee Whiteside
                      Webmaster
                      SFTV.org
                      B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

Superman: Earth One was awarded the Diamond Comic Distributors Gem Award for the top selling Original Graphic Novel.

http://www.diamondcomics.com/public/...&s=5&ai=105704

Jan

Comment

I picked this up while I was (unusually for me) in New Hampshire, just a brief observation. Does anyone else think that the picture on the cover of the THB bears a remarkable resemblance to Tom Welling?
                          Phaze
                          on the "now happily observing CSI NY where a rapist is executed by a vigilante" ID
                          "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

JMS tweeted the news so I went to copy it myself:

#6 SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, by J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis. (DC Comics, $19.99.) This original graphic novel, the first in a planned series, offers a different take on Clark KentÆs earliest days as Superman. Weeks on list: 27
                            Looking forward to the next one, which JMS has said is progressing nicely (but no publication date yet).

Jan

Comment

Found on Twitter from some time last night:

Originally posted by JMS
                              On final lap finishing next Superman Earth One graphic novel, and y'know what? Writing Superman is FUN. (And the pencils look great.)
                              Jan

Comment

From Facebook last night:

Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
                                Huzzah! The final pages of script for Superman: Earth One volume 2 have been turned in! Now onto the next project....
                                And
                                Originally posted by Fans of J. Michael Straczynski
                                Last I heard they were planning to release it in the spring.

Jan

Comment

Working...
                                X