No announcement yet.

JMS Comic Update January 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's been particularly silent of late, hasn't he? Only one post in the last 3.5 months.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

You are right Jan, a very silent JMS period, at least regarding his online postings. Maybe he really has much do with all his projects. If he hasn't seen KoshN's question reagrding the B5 graphic novel yet, well, I doubt he'll realize or answer such an old post when he gets back to the borad after such a long hiatus.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        He's been particularly silent of late, hasn't he? Only one post in the last 3.5 months.

Jan
        I was noticing that too. It's kind of a bummer. With movies and only a couple of comics though it's a little harder to have a Q&A dialogue type of deal like he usually likes to post about than when he had television shows on the air week to week. We only really see the full product of the work that's going on maybe once a year because of that.

Which means there's less direct Q&A and more subtle announcements of projects, which can be gotten across in interviews just as easily as newsgroups. And I think that's what we're seeing. Could be wrong.

Maybe I'll ask how his cat's doing on the newsgroup to see if he bites.
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
          I was noticing that too. It's kind of a bummer. With movies and only a couple of comics though it's a little harder to have a Q&A dialogue type of deal like he usually likes to post about than when he had television shows on the air week to week. We only really see the full product of the work that's going on maybe once a year because of that.

Which means there's less direct Q&A and more subtle announcements of projects, which can be gotten across in interviews just as easily as newsgroups. And I think that's what we're seeing. Could be wrong.

Maybe I'll ask how his cat's doing on the newsgroup to see if he bites.
          From the perspective of newsgroups, I tend to think of JMS more as a fellow fan than as a producer and writer. His projects now have a larger and more diverse fan base than he can readily address on newsgroups. Other media makes more sense. Although I miss interacting with him, I fully appreciate that his time is becoming increasingly limited for such interaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dassow View Post
            From the perspective of newsgroups, I tend to think of JMS more as a fellow fan than as a producer and writer. His projects now have a larger and more diverse fan base than he can readily address on newsgroups. Other media makes more sense. Although I miss interacting with him, I fully appreciate that his time is becoming increasingly limited for such interaction.

Well hopefully when Babylon 5: The Next Generation is ready to make it to TV it'll pick back up again.

I have no idea how they're going to do a Babylon 5: Deep Space 9 though. That'll just be messy. (edit: oh wait, Deep Space 9 *is* babylon 5... I think I'm getting into some sort of temporal paradox thing here)

And I'm sorry for going way OT Jan!
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
              Well hopefully when Babylon 5: The Next Generation is ready to make it to TV it'll pick back up again.
              Hard to tell. Remember, JMS had a purpose in his online fan interaction: to demystify the making of a TV series. That's done.

I'd love for him to come back for questions when he does his directing thing on upcoming movies, though.
              And I'm sorry for going way OT Jan!
              Yeah....sure you are!

Ha!

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Hard to tell. Remember, JMS had a purpose in his online fan interaction: to demystify the making of a TV series. That's done.
                I got the sense he genuinely enjoys posting to the newsgroup though beyond just talking about various projects.

In terms of back on topic: I really hope his series with Image he mentioned goes through though. A long term creator owned project like that is really what's been missing from comics lately. I love the brave and the bold, but the one shots don't really excite me as much as his more epic work.

Comment

I'd love for him to come back for questions when he does his directing thing on upcoming movies, though. ...

Jan
                  There is still much that JMS can do to demystify film directing and production. Let's hope that he is able to spare the time to share his insights.

Comment

Working...
                  X