Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JMS Superman Graphic Novel Announced

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JMS Superman Graphic Novel Announced

    Starting next year, DC Comics will unveil SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE and BATMAN: EARTH ONE, two graphic novels spotlighting the most powerful heroes of the DC Universe, with their first years and earliest moments retold in a standalone, original graphic novel format, on a new earth with an all-new continuity.
    There's an interview with JMS here.

    No definite date for release but at over 100 pages it sounds great.

    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    There's an interview with JMS here.

    No definite date for release but at over 100 pages it sounds great.

    Jan
    Sounds veerrryy interesting.

    PS. : Jan : The link to the interview gives an error message here (address not found)
    Jan from Denmark

    My blog :

    http://www.babylonlurker.dk

    "Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by babylonlurker View Post
      PS. : Jan : The link to the interview gives an error message here (address not found)
      I've tried several links to AICN and none work at the moment. I'll check again later.

      Jan

      ETA: It's working now.
      Last edited by Jan; 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

      Comment


      • #4
        One of the things I found quite interesting about the JMS interview is that in some ways it plays into the previous comics thread about whether or not he is a 'prima donna' (the writer's choice of words, not mine. I've always felt that Joe's comic book stuff works better when A) it's a self-contained project, or B) a project that is only announced once most of all of it is finished so that it can't fall victim to various production delays. Ironically, the interviewer in this case actually brings up the subject of other JMS books that have suffered delays and Joe actually addresses some of those points. As we've been discussing on that other thread, it appears that a lot of the points brought up in that 'prima donna' article don't hold water under closer scruitiny.

        If I have one regret about the Superman and Batman graphic novels, it is the fact that artist Gary Frank is actually working with Geoff Johns on the Batman book, not JMS on the SUperman book. Based on previous JMS/Frank collaborations, it would have been great to see them working together again.

        Comment


        • #5
          Supes!

          It is good to see Joe officially get his shot at Superman finally (which is definitely something he's been wanting to do for a long time). Somewhat surprising to see AICN get the interview scoop on this, leaving the main comics sites in the dust. Since Johns and Franks are currently doing a Superman: Secret Origins, it would probably seem redundant to have Franks do the Superman stuff again.
          Webmaster
          SFTV.org
          B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

          Comment


          • #6
            I didn't necessarily see it as redundant so much as the next chapter in some ways. But yes, I suppose it would be too easy to compare a JMS/Frank book to a Johns/Frank book, especially if they were only separated by a matter of months.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
              As we've been discussing on that other thread, it appears that a lot of the points brought up in that 'prima donna' article don't hold water under closer scruitiny.
              That's something I've noticed for a long time in fandom, not just comics. Somebody can be right on time for years but let something be late more than once, regardless of the reason, you start hearing mutterings about the writer not caring enough to be on time or having lost interest in the title or whatever. Similarly, fans might really enjoy many of a writer's works for a long time but as soon as there are things they don't care for, you hear that the writer's 'lost it'. Given how many times I've read things along the lines of "I used to enjoy X's work but if he's going to be writing things like ___FITB___, I'm never going to read his stuff again, I'd say it's often the public doing the prima donna thing, not the writer.

              Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think a lot of the reason for JMS delays with Marvel has nothing to do with him and more to do with delays in the event titles pushing everything back. That is not to say he didn't leave some titles up the air Still looking for the next

                As to the Superman stuff.I look forward to it I just wish it wasn't a origin story. Superman and Batman for that matter have had enough retelling of the origin stories. That is not to say that JMS story idea isn't interesting it is, and JMS writes moments of transition very well. That said I'm kinda wait and see on it. I'm sure I'll get the trade, when it comes out in paper back. But the origin story of any super hero tends to get covered a lot and would like to see something else.

                On the upside this is a side universe which gives JMS more creative control something I know he wanted more of. So it could go either way. Like I said I'm very wait and see on it.
                "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
                  One of the things I found quite interesting about the JMS interview is that in some ways it plays into the previous comics thread about whether or not he is a 'prima donna' (the writer's choice of words, not mine. I've always felt that Joe's comic book stuff works better when A) it's a self-contained project, or B) a project that is only announced once most of all of it is finished so that it can't fall victim to various production delays. Ironically, the interviewer in this case actually brings up the subject of other JMS books that have suffered delays and Joe actually addresses some of those points. As we've been discussing on that other thread, it appears that a lot of the points brought up in that 'prima donna' article don't hold water under closer scruitiny.

                  If I have one regret about the Superman and Batman graphic novels, it is the fact that artist Gary Frank is actually working with Geoff Johns on the Batman book, not JMS on the SUperman book. Based on previous JMS/Frank collaborations, it would have been great to see them working together again.


                  I agree with you there 100%. Dream Police I think still ranks as some of JMS' best work for just that reason. I look forward to this project. I know JMS has been talking about wanting to write superman for years.
                  Last edited by SmileOfTheShadow; 12-15-2009, 02:05 AM.
                  Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                  True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    There's an interview with JMS here.

                    No definite date for release but at over 100 pages it sounds great.

                    Jan
                    Wonder if it'll beat the B5 graphic novel to publishing (Bet it does. ), and the B5 graphic novel was announced what, eight years ago?
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                    JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                    Babylon 5 is the football.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                      Wonder if it'll beat the B5 graphic novel to publishing (Bet it does. ), and the B5 graphic novel was announced what, eight years ago?
                      Probably. I would imagine that writing the Superman story has got to burn as much, or perhaps more, for him as telling the B5 story did back in the day. This is something he's dreamed of his entire career, if not life.

                      Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is great news. I have always considered myself more DC-ish than Marvel-ous. To hear jms is going to have a shot at Superman is wonderful. I'm curious which part of the mythos he'll focus on. I can only hope my favorite DC title will get the jms touch next, per his own quote.

                        "...if there's any book I'd love to do (after
                        any of the Superman titles), it'd be the Legion of Superheroes."

                        http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-5898&query=legion
                        What a wonderful world you live in. -
                        Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          Probably. I would imagine that writing the Superman story has got to burn as much, or perhaps more, for him as telling the B5 story did back in the day. This is something he's dreamed of his entire career, if not life.
                          Yeah, no doubt he'll be able to get a Superman graphic novel out the door before a partly finished B5 graphic novel that he started eight years ago. He should finish the B5 graphic novel first, and THEN go on to do the Superman one.

                          If the Superman one comes out first, it'll really say something about his commitment to B5, and the B5 fans who stuck with him all these years and who'd be all over any B5 morsel we could get these days. B5 and we are sort of the red-haired stepchildren, now (post "Changeling").

                          He should finish what he started.
                          Mac Breck (KoshN)
                          ------------------
                          Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                          JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                          Babylon 5 is the football.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                            Yeah, no doubt he'll be able to get a Superman graphic novel out the door before a partly finished B5 graphic novel that he started eight years ago. He should finish the B5 graphic novel first, and THEN go on to do the Superman one.
                            Quite aside from his undeniable talent, JMS is also a businessman and an artist and both aspects are probably relevant here.

                            First, if you made your living by writing, which project would you give priority to? A continuation of a story set in a universe where the main story's already told or...something that pays really well and gives you name recognition with the possibility of future professional reward?

                            As for the B5 story itself...who knows what's going on in his head pertaining to it. There've been times in the past where he's been away from a story he'd begun and lost the white-hot heat, the fingerprints of the story. I want the B5 graphic novel, whenever it comes, to be a great story and one that enhances the B5 universe (as JMS himself has stated a number of times lately), not something finished because people kept poking him. If that means waiting until he's got that great story, I'm fine with that.

                            If the Superman one comes out first, it'll really say something about his commitment to B5, and the B5 fans who stuck with him all these years and who'd be all over any B5 morsel we could get these days. B5 and we are sort of the red-haired stepchildren, now (post "Changeling").
                            Oh...please. Exactly what will it say? What committment has he EVER owed any of us than to tell a good story? There's never been any obligation on his part to ever give us any more B5 and it's certainly unworthy to assume that because he's not churning out graphic novels and movies and pounding the streets trying to bring B5 back to life that he's ever been anything but appreciative of the fans. But he sure as heck doesn't owe any of us anything more than the aforementioned good stories. In whatever format, whatever genre, whatever characters or setting he chooses.

                            If I were JMS reading what you've said, I'd find it somewhat insulting that you prefer for him to remain static and a one-trick pony.

                            He should finish what he started.
                            It's not as if you've already got part one of a two-parter or anything. He did finish what he started: The show. Anything else is lagniappe.

                            Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                              If the Superman one comes out first, it'll really say something about his commitment to B5, and the B5 fans who stuck with him all these years
                              I'd say it says he is committed to giving Babylon 5 fans stories that are worth waiting for.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X