No announcement yet.

Rising Stars, Dr.Spectrum & Supreme Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the plot did die down a bit in the last few issues, but I have to say number 12 really did restore the quality of storytelling that I've come to expect in the series.

As for the journalist, if the plot calls for a similar role in the future, I think there is a good chance of him being used again.

I think Im definately going to wait for the 6 pack collections to be released the next time around, all this starting and stopping is a real pain.

Last edited by CRONAN; 09-02-2004, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I have only read 1-6 Contact. Do they have a Powers and Principalities TPB out?
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

There will be one come November - JMS gave an Amazon link in one of his recent posts if you wanna go preorder it.

EDIT - For ZHD: I've heard of Kingdom Come, but didn't get it because I wasn't too familiar with superhero comics - is it easy enough to enjoy/get-into without knowing all the previous years of comics? 'Cause it seemed to have quite a cast.

And anything else you think is worth getting into (read: better than SP ), I'd be interested in hearing about...
        Last edited by Radhil; 09-02-2004, 07:10 PM.
        Radhil Trebors
        Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil
          There will be one come November - JMS gave an Amazon link in one of his recent posts if you wanna go preorder it.

EDIT - For ZHD: I've heard of Kingdom Come, but didn't get it because I wasn't too familiar with superhero comics - is it easy enough to enjoy/get-into without knowing all the previous years of comics? 'Cause it seemed to have quite a cast.

And anything else you think is worth getting into (read: better than SP ), I'd be interested in hearing about...
          I may order it and add it to my order set to arrive on 9/21. I have the Psi Corps trilogy, a DVD of Jerry Seinfeld: I'm Telling You for the Last Time..., and the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD on the way. I get free shipping if I have them sent together, so I did so, and the SW set comes out on 9/21.

Kingdom Come...I believe it can be enjoyed by all, but it is much more fun if you know the DC history. I know it more than most people, but even I didn't know some of the obscure characters who appeared in the series. Still though, it was an engaging story. They had a novel written that was based on it, and I own it, but I have yet to read it. The art is all painted and fantastic.

As for anything else...I am reading the TPB of Batman: Hush right now. I am about halfway through it, and I am loving it. It's a mystery, and not your typical one. More like a conspiracy. I enjoyed the two-year long story of Gotham City experiencing an earthquake. It started with Cataclysm, which was a Bat/Gotham title crossover. Then came the "Aftershock" issues, which dealt with stories in Gotham after the earthquake, and were in all Bat titles and also Robin, Nightwing, Azrael, etc. Finally came No Man's Land, where a new villain appears, and has Gotham essentially "disowned" from the US. It is quarantined. No Man's Land was also a massive crossover. Now, some of the stories during this time were good, some were so so. Lots of cool stuff went on, like a new Batgirl kicking ass, and nobody knowing who it was, since there hadn't been a Batgirl ever since Barbara had been maimed years earlier. They also had a novel written for No Man's Land.

For other stuff...the Hitman series, written by Garth Ennis had some great stories, usually arcing in three to six issues. The character was similar to Marvel's Punisher and Ennis actually went on the write the miniseries that inspired the Punisher movie.

That should be enough for now.
          Last edited by Dr Maturin; 09-02-2004, 10:54 PM.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Oh, and at some point you must read the Watchmen collection.

Comment

Alas, it will be nigh on another year until we get the NEXT SP collection, with the Doc Spectrum issues taking SP s place for 6 months.

Its gonna be a while.....

: (

Comment

Originally posted by CRONAN
                Alas, it will be nigh on another year until we get the NEXT SP collection, with the Doc Spectrum issues taking SP s place for 6 months.

Its gonna be a while.....

: (
                So is Powers and Principalities out yet? The TPB of it?

Comment

It's due in December
                  , though I've known a few good comic book stores to get stuff in a week before Amazon does.
                  Radhil Trebors

Comment

You saw those reccomendations I posted, right, Radhil? You didn't comment, so I just wanted to make sure.

Comment

Yup, got 'em, just don't know when I'll be able to act on 'em. Real Life is intruding at the moment. Blech.
                      Radhil Trebors

Comment

I am reading the first collection of Rising Stars. I'd bought a few of the issues when the series premiered, but never read them. Good stuff. I like it much more than SP. The premise is somewhat reminiscient of Watchmen.

EDIT: This series just keeps getting better and better. I just finished the chapter with the nerd and the office chick looking through the album.

Is the Flagg name change a GI Joe joke?
                        Last edited by Dr Maturin; 09-25-2004, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmm

I just finished reading the first 2 issues in the Doc Spec mini-series, and I have to say they ain't bad. They have a very similar feel to the SP issues, esp in regards to the twist endings. Much depth is added: you'll encounter things previously unexplored in the SP series. There's a heck of a lot of Kosh-like revelations in them, that could be taken to mean any number of things. Overall, they're worth checking out for any SP reader.

It took a while, but I think I got it worked out......
                          Last edited by CRONAN; 10-10-2004, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                            I am reading the first collection of Rising Stars. I'd bought a few of the issues when the series premiered, but never read them. Good stuff. I like it much more than SP. The premise is somewhat reminiscient of Watchmen.

EDIT: This series just keeps getting better and better. I just finished the chapter with the nerd and the office chick looking through the album.

Is the Flagg name change a GI Joe joke?
                            Whew. I just finished through issue 21. Can't *wait* for the next (last) three! As for Flagg, JMS said this:

<<
                            >In RS #3, a comment was made that Flagg had to change his name over the
                            >copyright. Was this for real, (As I know there used to be another Flagg in
                            >another company's line up.)

To a certain extent. After the PR for Rising Stars got going, Howard Chaykin
                            noticed the Flagg name, and he did (and does) have the rights to Flagg. I'd
                            thought it was only American Flagg! that he had the rights to, and it wouldn't
                            be an issue, but apparently it's otherwise.

It wasn't a big deal, really...I saw Howard one night at dinner (we're not
                            close friends, but we are friendly acquaintances, and I've always been a big
                            fan of his work), and we chatted about it, and I suggested the solution that's
                            in the book, he laughed, thought it was a great and funny idea, and that was
                            the end of it.

jms>>

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by CRONAN
                              Hmmmmm

I just finished reading the first 2 issues in the Doc Spec mini-series, and I have to say they ain't bad. They have a very similar feel to the SP issues, esp in regards to the twist endings. Much depth is added: you'll encounter things previously unexplored in the SP series. There's a heck of a lot of Kosh-like revelations in them, that could be taken to mean any number of things. Overall, they're worth checking out for any SP reader.

It took a while, but I think I got it worked out......
                              I agree. These issues really flesh out the character a lot.

Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Is Samm Barnes like a female copy of jms? It really is scary how well it mimics the original series at times.....

(You guys see that one movie, ''Mimic''?)

*shivers*

Comment

Working...
                                X