Thor #600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor #600

I was impressed by the size of the book until I realized 1/2 was a reprint. And it wasn't the Simonson frog story!

On to JMS' part. It was written very well, quite a nice story. the ending was a nice surprise, and a good spring board for other stories. Without giving away too many spoilers, the protagonist while pivotal, came out of nowhere. His origin was explained, but the introduction of such a wild card seems to break the Chekov rule jms likes to quote.

I'd wait for the trade paperback, and get the whole story arc if you can. Marvels' habit of attaching old reprints to a new book leaves me and my wallet a little flat.
    What a wonderful world you live in. -
    Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

I'm hoping to pick this up in the next few days. I'd probably accept the higher price just for the sake of the new (I think it's new, right?) Stan Lee story.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      I'm hoping to pick this up in the next few days. I'd probably accept the higher price just for the sake of the new (I think it's new, right?) Stan Lee story.

Jan
      Yes, I almost forgot, there is an new Stan Lee story as well. It has a quasi -retro look to the art, and blends great with the reprint that follows.
      Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

Personally, I thought the Stan Lee story blew big-time, and you're talking to somebody who had collected just about every Lee/Kirby issue at the time. To me, it felt like a generic fill-in piece done as a try-out.

Having just read the issue an hour or so ago, I thought it wasn't really worth the money. The JMS story was as good as ever, but the Lee story was awful, I really hated the Hembeck-like cartoon story and I resented paying for Tales of Asgard reprints I already had. Even the cover gallery, which would have been fun from a nostalgia point of view, was so tiny that you couldn't see the images. Thank goodness it's back to business as usual next issue.

Comment

Am I not right in thinking even just the JMS portion of it is already just under double the normal issue page count? If a 22 page JMS issue is worth $2.99, isn't a 42 page JMS issue plus multiple pages of (even varying or low worth) extras worth $4.99?

Either way, I'm buying the hardcover collections so I don't have this to worry about, just waiting for the collections which is stress enough for me!

Comment

Point taken. I probably would have been perfectly happy paying five bucks for a forty-plus page JMS story, so maybe I should look at the rest of the features as a bonus. Just seems like a waste of trees to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
              Point taken. I probably would have been perfectly happy paying five bucks for a forty-plus page JMS story, so maybe I should look at the rest of the features as a bonus. Just seems like a waste of trees to me.
              I just picked it up at lunchtime and barely had time to skim it quickly but I'm looking forward to the reprints because I don't have any background with Thor. It'll be interesting to see non-JMS older stories about him. Dunno if I'll like the Olde Tyme Englysh, though.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Well I finally got around to reading this I think the JMS book is taking a great direction with the story. It's looking like he's actually allowed to do what he wants with the character for once without crossover-mania ruining things.

I thought the stan lee story was a cute retro story. It didn't have much impact and I agree that it was somewhat filler..but it did have that feel.

And for some reason when marvel does big issues now they're throwing reprints of old issues in the back. It's not just Thor that got that treatment.
                Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
                True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Just in time. I think 601 is coming out this week, isn't it?

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Just in time. I think 601 is coming out this week, isn't it?

Jan
                    Yep, Diamond Comic Distributors shows it shipping for release tomorrow.
                    $3.99 for those budgeting.

Comment

Working...
                    X