Error in Rising Stars printing..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error in Rising Stars printing..?

I bought Rising Stars : Born In Fire (Vol. 1) from Amazon, and I noticed the last page of Chapter 5 (a mostly white page where Lionel is speaking with the dead) has been printed as a mirror image (or just the text).

Is this an artistic choice because he's speaking with the dead and you're meant to bother trying to read the mirrored text, or did I get a bad copy and should return it?

Hmm, ok as soon as I posted this I found a page where it's explained:

Rising Stars contains a truly rare and brilliant use of the comic medium. As the protagonists leave a character who has become a hermit because he is plagued by seeing the dead, they comment on how he will be alone when they leave. The last panel is a full right-hand page of him muttering that he'll "never be alone" while huddling in a chair. It's all normal until the reader starts to turn the page and light illuminates it from behind, causing the next page to show through and outline a host of dead people and their speech bubbles clustered all around the huddled man on the chair. The entire next page is just a white space with reversed images of people and text to bleed onto the previous page.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...gTheFourthWall

So you're just supposed to illuminate the page from behind to get the effect and read the bubbles, but I guess it isn't as obvious in the trade paperback because of thicker pages..?

Comment

Originally posted by vakie View Post
      So you're just supposed to illuminate the page from behind to get the effect and read the bubbles, but I guess it isn't as obvious in the trade paperback because of thicker pages..?
      Yeah, I recall wondering about that at the time. It's a great idea/effect, though.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
      X