No announcement yet.

Interview with Joe @ CBR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I can only agree with JMS to a certain extent on this one. I can certainly understand that it's annoying that people are discussing your script, especially since as he points out, it shouldn't be on the public domain anyway. But that being said, I think it's generally the bad scripts that tend to make people kick up a fuss. True, there have been some scripts/projects that have bitten the dust in the recent past, but as far as I can see, they've usually been scripts where the writer had gone in such a wildly different direction (witness most of the Superman scripts before Superman Returns) that the fans have made their feelings known. Again, I'm not advocating the distribution of scripts, but part of me can't help thinking that if a script really sucks big-time, maybe it's not a bad thing for studio executives know that something is wrong so there's time to fix it. I'm not including World War Z in this you understand, just talking about thinks in anstract.

Comment

I think he may have better information than us about the status of that project. He very, very rarely posts on IMDB at all, and if he did on that subject he might have a reason beyond general annoyance about people discussing his script. If he thinks there's reason to fear the project might be cancelled, and therefore requests that the script isn't discussed online, I think it might not only be courteous, but also wise if the fans honoured that request.

Comment

Chiming in to note that JMS's request was to people discussing the script *in detail* on a site known to be utilized by industry folks. I think the posts here were vague enough and this site obscure enough (to film execs, anyway) to not garner attention. Still, Mandragora's got a good point.

Also, at Comic-Con, JMS said that they're looking for a director and when they find the right person, it'll be a go. This is a script that doesn't really fall under the heading of horror (despite the zombies) nor the usual thriller (because of the zombies) so the right director will be crucial to the success of the project.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I think also, a lot of the discourse on the IMDB boards is less genteel than say, this site for example. Certainly some of the discussions I've seen there don't seem to be conducted by MENSA members, if one was to go by spelling and grammar.

And having said that, I meant to say 'abstract' in my last post, lest anyone think I was coming up with cool words that nobody knows. In my defense, that post was before my first cup of coffee; this one after. Score one for the benefits of caffeine.

Comment

There wasn't any discussion in detail on IMDB, and all of the posts but one were very positive. There wasn't any mention of a specific board, IQ level or type of fans that suggested his post is only directed at some fans but not others.

They've been looking for a director for more than half a year now, and originally the movie was scheduled to be released (and JMS expected it to be released) in 2008. In a recent con panel, Max Brooks included a line in his talk: "... if the movie is made".

According to JMS, we're talking about a movie with a budget of about $ 150 million here, IIRC, and a movie they find difficult to market. The idea that they might decide not to make it at all, irrespective of script issues, doesn't seem far-fetched at all for me. Finding out that the script leaked might well be a contributing factor for it to join Silver Surfer's fate.

In any case, frankly I don't understand that this is even an issue for discussion. The script shouldn't be in public domain, he explicitly requested that discussions about it stop, and for me that is enough - but it wouldn't be the first time that the fans are the creator's and their own worst enemy.
            Last edited by mandragora; 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Quick quibble here. "Public domain" is a legal term meaning that a work is available for use without fee. What's being discussed it that the WWZ script became available to the public.

The unfortunate reality is that a huge percentage of scripts commissioned and written never get made. Hopefully WWZ will beat the odds because it's a good story (something I never thought I'd see myself type about a story with zombies).

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I think when I used the term 'public domain,' I wasn't using in the legal/copyright sense so much as in a situation where the public are able (whether their input is welcome or not) to comment. I probably should have just said 'public arena.'

Comment

I think that the script review knife can cut both ways.

Sure fan outrage at the JJ Abrams SUPERMAN script probably help to get that particular version scuttled. I've read it and if it had gone into production, fans would have freaked even more and Warners would have lost a load of money and damaged the franchise for years to come. In itself, its not a bad script, but it should be about a new superhero created especially for the project. It's not a Superman story.

On the reverse, though, Will Farrell has publically stated that it was AintItCool's positive review of the ANCHORMAN script that got it out of development and greenlit.
                  Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
                    I have to agree, one of the underlying points of the book is that the various world governments, whether it was the US, China and whatever, really didn't to anything to stop the Z-outbreaks. What JMS does with his screenplay is bring it all around full circle by way of the report, which essentially gets swept under the rug. There is nothing I can see that runs contrary to what Brooks had in mind.
                    Let me be blunt, then.

I'm wondering how JMS is going to use THIS as some sort of bullshit indictment of the Bush Administration, like he's done with practicaly everything else he's written in the past few years.

Enough with the social commentary, Joe.
                    "I don't find myself in the same luxury as you. You grew up in freedom, and you can spit on freedom, because you don't know what it is not to have freedom." ---Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Comment

Vyce, c'mon...there's simply no denying that there's plenty of government failure of *many* nations in the source material. And corporate greed as well. And military failure and blunders. Those are all in the book. It'd be pretty silly to expect them to not be in the script, wouldn't it?

You might see some kind of indictment of the Bush administration but then, one generally finds what one's looking for.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
                        Let me be blunt, then.

I'm wondering how JMS is going to use THIS as some sort of bullshit indictment of the Bush Administration, like he's done with practicaly everything else he's written in the past few years.

I'm curious as to where you're seeing this trend. I've not read everything JMS has put out in recent years, but I have the first Thor collection in hardback, the Midnight Nation paperback, have read Book of Lost Souls, have got B5: The Lost Tales, have the hardbacks of Supreme Power (but nothing from when it was renamed Squadron Supreme), have access (via Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited) to his Doctor Strange and Bullet Points miniseries which I've read both of, as well as the first issue of Silver Surfer: Requiem and some of his Amazing Spider-Man run (though only a few issues, so far).

Out of those the only thing I can think of is part of one Thor issue that has a citizen of New Orleans railing against Thor for the Marvel heroes not helping when hurricane Katrina hit, which could be construed as a dig at the Bush administration. It also fit in the context of the Marvel Universe quite well though, with the heroes all having been busy in their Civil War, and I could just as easily see it as a dig at that event storyline.

Just curious as to whether I've blipped over/forgotten more obvious digs at Bush, or whether this trend includes things I've not read yet (from his film scripts, or Jeremiah, or his Amazing Spider-Man or Fantastic Four runs, or The Twelve, or Rising Stars).

Comment

Isn't it also possible that if a particular president is in office for eight years and if a fair amount of work under discussion was created during that period of time, wouldn't there inevitably be some kind of commentary simply because the work was coming out during that period? Personally, I haven't seen an awful lot of anti-Bush rhetoric in JMS projects, notably the 9/11 issue of Spider-Man, or even something like Jeremiah, where the two episodes introducing the government of Valhalla Sector (which I believe air this Friday on Sci-Fi) aren't representative of Democrat or Republican, just a bunch of self-important assholes who want to stay in power at all costs. If one wishes to match those sentiments with the Bush administration, it probably says more about the viewer than the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by Karachi Vyce View Post
                            Let me be blunt, then.

OK, KV. I've read the script. Spoilers ahoy-

It is revealed that some governments did things that were counterproductive to stopping the zombie plague. The Chinese, the Israelis and the Americans. Mistakes were made, not so much because of their particular political ideals, but because no one could imagine such a thing. There, I suppose there is a parrallel that could be drawn to 9/11. However, if memory serves, Brooks wrote his book before 9/11 and it sat in a drawer for a while, so the parrallel is only coincidental. There is one corporation that tries to profit from the disaster, but any student will tell you that war profiteering is nothing new. JMS has put nothing new into the material, except fleesh out (no pun intended) the book's conceit that it is a compilation of eyewitness accounts about the war. If you thought the book was somehow a commentary on Bush, well, again I'll refer to fact that Brooks wrote it before 9/11.
                            Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Frulad, if you look, you'll note that Vyce doesn't indicate that he's read the script. He's simply doing some pre-emptive complaining as far as I can tell.

Jan
                              Last edited by Jan; 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

While I've seen the kind of author tracts Vyce talks about in more than a few places, (including a few recent Star Trek novels) JMS's work isn't one of them, as far as I can tell.
                                "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

Comment

Working...
                                X