Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nottenst
    replied
    Here is the Previews page with the Trade Paperback solicitation.
    It looks like it will be in the upcoming catalog.
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/AUG201209

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    This stuff is still so variable, I was really enjoying these, then the last one (Chapter 4) goes into long winded narration again, where JMS does an awful lot of telling and not showing. Or telling and showing the same thing. He has a really bad habit of doing this and I think he's missing a lot of the potential of the medium. It's got the same tone as the long winded (often mocked) speeches in B5. Some of those speeches are great, don't get me wrong, but in comic book format I'm a bit unsure about so much omnipresent narrator.
    Last edited by Ubik; 08-21-2020, 08:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Oops! Looks like I forgot to post the third chapter. And the fourth is up now, too. JMS posted:

J. Michael Straczynski - Hang with JMS

As most of you know, we're doing five stand-alone, bite-sized mini chapters for The Resistance that are available free online along with the first two issues of the main book. The fourth mini, "The Lost," just went online today. If you want to check these out, no subscription, no cost, not even a request for an email address, you can find them at: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-resistance/list…

A global disaster leaves hundreds of millions dead in its wake. Shortly after, a few thousand suddenly manifest superhuman powers. Are they harbingers of more perils to come…or Earth’s last hope?
    The full list & links to what's available online is here: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=404179

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    #3 of "The Resistance: Reborns" is up. Have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying these?

https://awastudios.net/comic/reborns-the-hidden/

This one has a slight echo of 'Midnight Nation' to it. Wonder/hope we'll be seeing all these folks down the road.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Here's #2 of the Reborns.

https://awastudios.net/comic/reborns-the-dangerous/

I'm liking these!
    I like this a good deal more than the Resistance. Just feels more grounded and personal. Less of the grandiose showboating and over reliance on bombastic narration. It's good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Here's #2 of the Reborns.

https://awastudios.net/comic/reborns-the-dangerous/

I'm liking these!

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This isn't JMS but I wanted to share. From AWA/Upshot:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ontent=Covid19

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This isn't something I've heard about. Axel Alonso posted it today.
    I asked JMS and he said:

J. Michael Straczynski

@straczynski
    There will be five in total, and I believe they will be coming out weekly.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    This isn't something I've heard about. Axel Alonso posted it today.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Yes, I do like to see how pags are laid out but sadly, for me just uploading the comic pamphlets doesn't give (IMO, anyway) a good reading experience, especially on a phone. This way you can appreciate the are and read it well on anything.

Episode #8 went up last night. What would have been Free Comic Book Day.
    Yeah, I read it. I am seeing a lot of parallels with Rising Stars and Supreme Power, with the political angle / countries having vested interesting in having a super. Still not too keen on the omniscient narration style. And I still get a strong 90s superhero vibe from it, despite their protestations this was super different to all those comics.
    Last edited by Ubik; 05-03-2020, 11:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Yes, I do like to see how pags are laid out but sadly, for me just uploading the comic pamphlets doesn't give (IMO, anyway) a good reading experience, especially on a phone. This way you can appreciate the are and read it well on anything.

Episode #8 went up last night. What would have been Free Comic Book Day.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied

After seeing what happened with 'Sidekick', I don't every trust that JMS is being predictable.

What do you think of the reading experience on Webtoons? I read the first one on Comixology and I'm liking the Webtoons version much better.
    Webtoons works quite well for me, although I miss the 'turing a page' experience, and the pacing you get from double page spreads, etc. Always been interested in page layouts and the rhythm of sequential art. Digital is a whole different experience, but this worked just fine. I expect the book may well shift from the macro view to something more personal, and that's where I find JMS' work shines.

For instance, the best moments of his Spiderman run were the Aunt May moments, not the big action set pieces!
    Last edited by Ubik; 04-26-2020, 02:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    After seeing what happened with 'Sidekick', I don't every trust that JMS is being predictable.

What do you think of the reading experience on Webtoons? I read the first one on Comixology and I'm liking the Webtoons version much better.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    I am totally fine with a slow burn ramp up, and most other new comics also tend to set out their stall in a similar way. I just found the way it was done a tad overblow with long reams of narration. Personally, I found it a bit off-putting. It's hard to explain, but it's a tonal thing. The only thing I can equate it to are those old 80s / 90s movie trailers, where the guy with the deep voice narrates something along the lines of "in a world where there's a virus and everyone is dead and politicians are awful and some people have super powers... etc." It just felt like a comic from two decades ago.

I'll stick with it for sure, as always interested to see where it goes when the scene setting is done. Once we get to 'people level' events, it'll likely pull me in more.
    Last edited by Ubik; 04-26-2020, 10:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I don't see that one issue plus a few pages is enough to draw any conclusions yet. So far I'm liking it and I like that we're being shown the gradual discovery of the newly powered humans. Other comics would have hand-waved that part with 'suddenly it was noticed that...blah-blah' when the reality is, that's not how things happen. I'm happy with a gradual ramping up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X