No announcement yet.

AWA: THE RESISTANCE - JMS and Deodato Jr together again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until I saw someone mention it on Twitter I guess I had completely forgotten anything about it. Completely overlooked it in Previews. If it gets put together as a trade paperback I'll try to get it then.

Comment

First part of issue #1 is available for free. Looks like AWA is using this to cope with piracy and perhaps the shutdown.
      https://awastudios.net/comic/the-resistance-1/
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Not bad. I'm generally not a fan of photo-referenced art, but it looks fairly nice. It's a solid start, but some of it comes off as a tad corny in terms of how dramatic it is. I can't quite find the right words to describe the tone, but something doesn't quite work for me. Perhaps more show, and less tell? Dunno. Curious to see more though.
        Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Read the first three 'mini' parts available on Webtoons. Still really don't like the art, it is way too static and photo referenced for me, and know, I know, it's a comic, but there are ways to create movement in sequential art.

Weird reading this during a real life pandemic. The irony is not lost on me. I still find the tone a bit pompous, but I get that this is just scene setting and we'll get to actual characters later. So yeah, solid effort thus far, I am most curious to see how powers are dealt with and if it really sets itself apart from modern superhero comics in a meaningful way.
          Last edited by Ubik; 04-05-2020, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
            ...I am most curious to see how powers are dealt with and if it really sets itself apart from modern superhero comics in a meaningful way.
            I think the interviews I've read give a hint in calling them 'powered' rather than superheroes.

I really feel for AWA debuting at a time like this! I haven't compared the physical copy to the online version but I'm reading that it was well done, not just slapping up the comic pages online, actually ordering the panels to give a better reading experience.

"As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

New chapter is up via Webtoons. I am sad to admit that the more I read of this, the less I like it. It feels like a 90s superhero comic and not in a good way. I think it's the grandiose tone that just does nothing for me. For all the talk of it being so different, I am yet to see anything particularly groundbreaking. The dialogue is also some of the worst I've read in a while. Feels like everyone is trapped in a bad action film. Will carry on reading, but unsure this is what I want out of my comics these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

I really feel for AWA debuting at a time like this! I haven't compared the physical copy to the online version but I'm reading that it was well done, not just slapping up the comic pages online, actually ordering the panels to give a better reading experience.

You are definitely right there. TCJ review is fairly lukewarm because of the timing of the book in relation to Corona, and I think the reviewer also struggled with the same narration heavy exposition that I did, where it tells instead of showing.

Comment

I don't see that one issue plus a few pages is enough to draw any conclusions yet. So far I'm liking it and I like that we're being shown the gradual discovery of the newly powered humans. Other comics would have hand-waved that part with 'suddenly it was noticed that...blah-blah' when the reality is, that's not how things happen. I'm happy with a gradual ramping up.

Comment

I am totally fine with a slow burn ramp up, and most other new comics also tend to set out their stall in a similar way. I just found the way it was done a tad overblow with long reams of narration. Personally, I found it a bit off-putting. It's hard to explain, but it's a tonal thing. The only thing I can equate it to are those old 80s / 90s movie trailers, where the guy with the deep voice narrates something along the lines of "in a world where there's a virus and everyone is dead and politicians are awful and some people have super powers... etc." It just felt like a comic from two decades ago.

I'll stick with it for sure, as always interested to see where it goes when the scene setting is done. Once we get to 'people level' events, it'll likely pull me in more.
                    Last edited by Ubik; 04-26-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

After seeing what happened with 'Sidekick', I don't every trust that JMS is being predictable.

What do you think of the reading experience on Webtoons? I read the first one on Comixology and I'm liking the Webtoons version much better.

Comment

After seeing what happened with 'Sidekick', I don't every trust that JMS is being predictable.

What do you think of the reading experience on Webtoons? I read the first one on Comixology and I'm liking the Webtoons version much better.
                        Webtoons works quite well for me, although I miss the 'turing a page' experience, and the pacing you get from double page spreads, etc. Always been interested in page layouts and the rhythm of sequential art. Digital is a whole different experience, but this worked just fine. I expect the book may well shift from the macro view to something more personal, and that's where I find JMS' work shines.

For instance, the best moments of his Spiderman run were the Aunt May moments, not the big action set pieces!
                        Last edited by Ubik; 04-26-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Yes, I do like to see how pags are laid out but sadly, for me just uploading the comic pamphlets doesn't give (IMO, anyway) a good reading experience, especially on a phone. This way you can appreciate the are and read it well on anything.

Episode #8 went up last night. What would have been Free Comic Book Day.

Comment

Yes, I do like to see how pags are laid out but sadly, for me just uploading the comic pamphlets doesn't give (IMO, anyway) a good reading experience, especially on a phone. This way you can appreciate the are and read it well on anything.

Episode #8 went up last night. What would have been Free Comic Book Day.
                            Yeah, I read it. I am seeing a lot of parallels with Rising Stars and Supreme Power, with the political angle / countries having vested interesting in having a super. Still not too keen on the omniscient narration style. And I still get a strong 90s superhero vibe from it, despite their protestations this was super different to all those comics.
                            Last edited by Ubik; 05-03-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X