X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWA Comics - New Company with JMS as part of Creative Council

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/a...publisher.html

Partial quotes:
    To help shape the comics, the publisher has a creative council, which includes the screenwriter and director Reginald Hudlin, the novelists Margaret Stohl and Gregg Hurwitz, the comic book writer Garth Ennisand J. Michael Straczynski, a screenwriter and co-creator of Netflixs Sense8.
    Straczynski took a sabbatical from comics about three years ago, but kept busy working on multiple projects: an autobiography, a novel and a screenplay, adapting his Rising Stars comic book series for MGM. I was open to returning to comics if the project was something challenging, so when Bill and Axel approached me about creating an entirely new, cohesive, shared comic-book universe, the prospect was too much fun to resist, he wrote in an email. Straczynski has developed the origin point of AWAs superheroes.
    Last edited by Jan; 03-20-2019, 12:45 PM.
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

This looks like yet another set up making comics with the express aim of selling them on as films or tv shows. I am starting to really dislike this model. It doesn't produce art, it produces the product deemed most 'saleable'. Hard pass on this publisher. Looks awful.
    Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
      This looks like yet another set up making comics with the express aim of selling them on as films or tv shows. I am starting to really dislike this model. It doesn't produce art, it produces the product deemed most 'saleable'. Hard pass on this publisher. Looks awful.
      Curious why you say that? I didn't get any impression of a multi-media outlook at all?
      "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

This answers the main question I had.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Writing also.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	151338

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

Curious why you say that? I didn't get any impression of a multi-media outlook at all?
          I could be totally wrong, but the tone of the article was what tipped me off. Mentioning franchises and Netflix acquisition of Mark Miller's IP, it just seemed to have that kind of tone. I might be reading into it, but I think this is now often a consideration when designing new 'properties'.

I guess I'm just really not that interested in superhero comics anymore, even if you totally subvert the genre (arguably already done to death and done better in the late 80s), it's still largely derivative. If anything was to bring JMS back to comics, I would have hoped it was something more personal and inventive. I'd rather see him do the much touted 'Alone' than generic superhero stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubik View Post

I could be totally wrong, but the tone of the article was what tipped me off. Mentioning franchises and Netflix acquisition of Mark Miller's IP, it just seemed to have that kind of tone. I might be reading into it, but I think this is now often a consideration when designing new 'properties'.
            In this day I think it's pretty much a given that's what the hope is.You're not the only one who see's a streaming series in this lot's future. Bleeding Cool has been keeping an eye on this for quite a while before the news "broke". This is just one of their articles from 2018 on who is involved, where the financing is coming from, etc.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...-artisans-inc/
            Expect some kind of comics publisher that is pitched as an IP farm, a place to create ideas independent of medium, some big familiar names hired, with comic book pages positioned as acting as storyboards, and an aim of eventually selling off to Amazon Prime, Hulu or the like...

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post

In this day I think it's pretty much a given that's what the hope is.You're not the only one who see's a streaming series in this lot's future. Bleeding Cool has been keeping an eye on this for quite a while before the news "broke". This is just one of their articles from 2018 on who is involved, where the financing is coming from, etc.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...-artisans-inc/
              Oh great, Rupert Murdoch connections too. This looks like a total garbage fire. I will do my best to withhold judgement until i see some comics, but not inspired by this.
              Last edited by Ubik; 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X