Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gah! What is it with the broken german all the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest I had to read on Wikipedia of him, but it seems he was one of the few who where not silent. Most of the church was silent - as their policy was "Give the Caesar what is his" - and some even applauded the Nazis because of the deep hatred of Jews. The reasons behind this hatred are the "betrayal" of Judas, the similar Religion, the Judaism being the elder religion, the wars around Jerusalem and many other. There was through the Middle Ages a hatred against Jews in Europe, sadly.

So it seems to me Bonhoeffer was one of the few who where true to their belief, true to their self and stood in the way. He - and other like him - couldn't stop the Regime, but they show us that not everybody was a Nazi at that time. They are the conscience of the past (IMHO).

I saw two parts of a documentation about failed assasination attempts against Hitler last weekend. I find it comforting that some people stand up against the criminal regime and very grim that so many attempts failed.

PeAcE
    greetings from austria, best known for its history and fine wine... feels like a wine cellar on a graveyard 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Harrdy
      Most of the church was silent - as their policy was "Give the Caesar what is his" - and some even applauded the Nazis because of the deep hatred of Jews.
      The one I'm watching mentions that, but there was also a good amount in the church that rallied around Bonhoeffer to support him and go against the Nazis.

The reasons behind this hatred are the "betrayal" of Judas, the similar Religion, the Judaism being the elder religion, the wars around Jerusalem and many other. There was through the Middle Ages a hatred against Jews in Europe, sadly.
      I grew up in the Baptist Christian church environment. I've actually read 95% of the bible. My experience: A lot of people read only excerpts during bible meetings and on Sundays, therefore easily taking things out of context -- creating huge misunderstandings that, most often, people distort to fit their prejudices. Example: During America's colonial times, many church leaders and individuals used passages from the bible to justify black enslavement.

The hatred and overall dislike of Jewish people is still very strong today, I believe. If one reads the bible from start to finish, you start to see how "christians" justify their prejudices against the Jews -- which I disagree with 100%.

So it seems to me Bonhoeffer was one of the few who where true to their belief, true to their self and stood in the way. He - and other like him - couldn't stop the Regime, but they show us that not everybody was a Nazi at that time. They are the conscience of the past (IMHO).
      I think he was true to the teachings of Christ. Parts of the church siding with the Nazis feared for their lives, which is understandable. But, if one believes in God, therefore Heaven, why be afraid of dying? PeAcE[/QUOTE]

Harrdy, thanks for your thoughts on this.
      "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an embecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you; I will chew it up and leave. I will work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down. Why can't we drink forever? I just want to start this over!" TOOL

Comment

Working...
      X