Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Jeffrey Sinclair really David Sheridan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That line always bothered me too. I can only assume it's a goof on the part of PAD, who wrote the dialogue for that issue of the comic. JMS outlined it, and I'm pretty sure he intended to have Valen referring to Sakai in the past (and therefore not leave the message to her), but maybe PAD got confused, and JMS never noticed it.

Comment

Here is my totally unsubstantiated 2 cents (pre-inflation) on the message: Sinclair recorded it over time, and mentioned Catherine Sakai as a recipient because because he was not sure when he recorded it that he knew Catherine had been found. He added the last line later.

That's my story, and I am sticking to it. The idea that JMS confused Catherine and Carolyn is strictly verboten, though highly likely.
      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Ultimately, whatever happened in the comic, whether a misunderstanding or, as grumbler pointed out, mearly a precaution should Catherine find it before hand, doesn't really matter; jms has made a number of posts since the publishing of both In Valen's Name and To Dream in the City of Sorrows that clearly state that Sakai is in fact the person Valen is so happy to have found.

Posts we have dredged up and reposted and talked numerous times on this very board over the many years It's an interesting topic, made more interesting by the fact that it's a story that jms has given us some pieces to, while ultimately still leaving the core story elements hidden from us. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever know much more then we do now, which still isn't too bad all things considered; there are certainly other topics that we know even less about (i.e. Telepath war)

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

I think it was a pretty cool trick getting Sinclair to become Valen. JMS said he'd only do the time travel thing once.

Jan
          Hmmm but in the last scriptbook - there where he wrote how the 5th season would have looked like if everything had happend as planed - JMS said that someone would appear on the station pretending to be David who traveled through time ^^

Comment

Well, he always reserved the right to change his mind, too.

The fifth season stuff, though...wasn't that how he would have slanted things if he'd been sure of a spin-off, wasn't it? That's one of the things that I find fascinating about the script books--that we see how he planned ahead and how events changed his plans.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
              JMS said that someone would appear on the station pretending to be David who traveled through time
              There was also someone that appeared on the station that claimed to be King Arthur.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                The idea that JMS confused Catherine and Carolyn is strictly verboten...
                That's why I'm trying to blame Peter David.

Comment

Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
                  Hmmm but in the last scriptbook - there where he wrote how the 5th season would have looked like if everything had happend as planed - JMS said that someone would appear on the station pretending to be David who traveled through time ^^
                  Hmmm ... emphasis mine.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
                  The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                  The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Except the actual word is 'claiming', not 'pretending'. Here's part of what it says in Volume 10. Note that these were JMS's first notes on "what elements would be added to the fifth season in order to set up a series that would explore the process of empire building.":

Someone will come to them claiming to be Sheridan's and Delenn's son who has come back from the future to try and stop them from making a terible mistake. ...(substantial snip) (... when we reveal that this person is telling the absolute truth, a truth that we have one chance to prevent from becoming a reality
                    Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                    X