X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leto II
    replied
    Originally posted by JDSValen
    You have "In Valen's Name"!? I've been trying to get a hold of that for years!

As for your question . . . That's pretty much everything. There are other books, but nothing worth reading (i.e. not approved by JMS)
    JMS did give his canonical approval-in-perpetuity to the first six Dell novels (per a 1996 Sci-Fi Universe interview discussing this very subject), and reviewed all drafts and galleys involved, but the key difference between those books and the later ones is that they were all original plotlines conceived by the authors, rather than coming directly from Joe's TV series notes or original outlines.

Thus, there's a greater sense of direct, organic tie-in to the events of the greater five-year arc with the last three Dells and all the Del Rey novels and novelizations (and the DC Comics series)...the Earth-Minbari War; the Icarus expedition; Sinclair's relocation to Minbar; Marcus's backstory with the Rangers; Sakai's final fate; the Technomages' disappearance; David Sheridan and the Drakh on Centauri Prime, et cetera. Plus, the legitimacy that Straczynski's own personal, hands-on outlining and general oversight gives the recent books tends to lead more folks to consider them a step "up" from those first efforts within the canonical empyrean.

(Although reading the JMS-outlined #8 ["Personal Agendas"] is roughly a day-and-a-half or so of my life that I'd like back.)

Joe still considers a number of events within the early Dells canonical (the Amundsen's presence during the Prometheus incident, for example), but the newer novels are MORE canonical, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Leto II; 08-05-2005, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    The only information in the comics is that Valen "found her", "her" being viewed as referring to Sakai. This, plus Delenn saying that Valen had children in an episode from Season 4 (I forget the episode name, but she entered the Dreaming and found out she was child of Valen), is the only information about Sinclair/Valen after the Shadow War 1000 years prior to B5.

Leave a comment:

• Kloreep
    replied
    I think what information is available about Sinclair/Valen post-B4 is in comics. Not sure which ones, I haven't gotten ahold of any of them.

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    As far as the novels are concerned I'm a bit confused.
    Before I read To Dream in the City of Sorrows I thought many posts here implicated that it would hold the story of what happened after Entil' Zha went back with B4 to a thousand years in the past. A lot was mentioned about him and Catherine living on a planet back then and such(not about Minbar). But now that I read it I know that all it told was how Sakai disappeared in the rift.
    Could someone please enlighten me as to where you got those informations from?
    And no have not been ignorant to the book, I just lost that particular one on a plane and didn't have the means to get another copy until now.

Oh and my favorite trilogy is The Legions of Fire.

Leave a comment:

• Spoo Junky
    replied
    I just got Vol. 1 of IVN on line. I hope that I'll be lucky enough to get the rest. At least it's a start.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    I recently saw IVN in the bins at one of my local comic shops. I don't think it's entirely impossible to find...just difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Mariel
    replied
    [QUOTE=JDSValen]You have "In Valen's Name"!? I've been trying to get a hold of that for years![QUOTE]
    I bought it a month ago from an online comic shop. I think it's still available. Am I allowed to the web site here? If I am, I'll post it here...

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    In Valen's Name is an excellent comic series. I got it with the entire 11 issue run of DC's B5 comic off of ebay. I paid about 20 bucks for it. Very worth it.

The writing is very well done, excluding issues 9 and 10. Issue 11 is the Psi Corps special which was nice. The rest of the issues (1-8) would have made for great episodes. The artwork isn't the best. Reading a page and literally see Ivanova look different in each panel is very unsettling.

Still, if you find the entire 11 issue run either in your local comic shop, or on ebay for a reasonable price, pick them up with no second thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• JDSValen
    replied
    You have "In Valen's Name"!? I've been trying to get a hold of that for years!

As for your question . . . That's pretty much everything. There are other books, but nothing worth reading (i.e. not approved by JMS)

Leave a comment:

• Golan-Trevize
    started a topic Babylon 5 Novels

Babylon 5 Novels

I have the following B5 novels:

Psi Corps Trilogy
    Legions of Fire Trilogy
    Technomages Trilogy
    To dream in the city of sorrows
    The one that explains the Icarus expedition story (The touch of your shadow)
    In Valen's Name Comic book

are any more B5 related book worth buying?
    Why the sci-fi channel doesn't do a mini-series (Dune alike) adapting the Legions of fire trilogy or the technomage trilogy?
Working...
X