Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    The other big difference is that the interest on loans is capped by the usury laws.

Default on a loan and you find get more credit difficult.

Bust a movie and you will find getting money for the next one difficult.

The same applies to advances on books and recordings.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    jahkneebee, keep us advised. That's pretty exciting news and the concept art is, as Sheridan might say, cool! Good luck with your new property!

Andrew, a loan, as shown by your own definitions, comes with a legal or moral expectation that it will be repaid along with any applicable interest as agreed upon. This obligation only applies to the person, persons, or organization receiveing the loan. Now, the loan may be defaulted, in which case the debtor can be taken to court or collateral property can be seized; the loan may be forgiven, in which case the creditor can claim it as a one-time loss; or another can repay the loan, in which case the debtor has recieved a gift (appropriate taxes applying in the US, at any rate. ) An investment carries with it an expectation of a return if the endevour is successful. If, say, a movie goes bust the investors have no ordinary recourse unless the producers have broken laws, broken the terms of the agreement, or are guilty of fiscal mismanagement. Under those circumstances the investors can file suit. Still, an investor cannot carry it as a full value asset on their books the way a lendor can due to the speculative nature.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Harrdy
    (Oh, maybe I got it wrong, I thought it was the big drawing of the interior of the B5 Station that was meant. Sorry if I was wrong!)
    No, you're right, Harrdy. Peter Ledger did the original concept art for B5, which JMS commissioned in order to sell the series. AFAIK, he did two large-ish paintings, one of the exterior of the Station and the one Jahkneebee bought of the interior core. Peter Ledger also designed the original 'keyhole' logo and did some images of what JMS had in mind for the characters. Color reproductions of these were part of the treatment that was available from the Fan Club for a short time.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Harrdy
    replied
    I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one who would like to have a replika. Do you plan to do them 1:1? Bechause it would be a wonderful view on one of my walls 8-)

(Oh, maybe I got it wrong, I thought it was the big drawing of the interior of the B5 Station that was meant. Sorry if I was wrong!)

PeAcE

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by jahkneebee
    I had the honor(please forgive- I know it was an expensive auction) of winning the Concept Art on E-bay. Last year this would have been totally out of the question financially for me, but I got lucky
    Congratulations! I really loved looking at all the detail of the painting. What a wonderful piece of B5 history you'll have!
    There's more: JMS suggested that I make copies and sell them. I just happen to have some very good friends that own an art gallery. Last year I introduced this couple to ALL FIVE SEASONS! They are now working on the movies. They have agreed to help me print and distribute copies of the Concept Art, and may even throw a show featuring it.
    I noticed that JMS had noted on the auction that the rights went with the painting. Very cool! Nice that your 'converts' will be able to help with this.
    I have some personal parameters:

1) These have got to be affordable to the general fan
    2) Rick Biggs family will benefit from at least one run
    When the time comes, I'll be happy to be your go-between with either Mrs. Biggs or the friend who's been doing the auctions for Rick's family.
    3) Jan, I need your address because you put so much heart into this site moderation you are going to get the first copy- for free. [There was so much acrimony by some people over these auctions that I need an ally! ]
    Uh...wow...How *very* nice of you! Thank you so much. I don't know that I've done anything to deserve it but I accept with thanks. If, once you've got everything set up, you still want to do this, send me a PM here and I'll be happy to supply my address.

As for an ally, I've been saying from the very beginning that JMS has every right to do with his things as he pleases and I'm very happy for the people lucky enough to be able to win the bidding. Thanks for sharing the happy news!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Joansie
    replied
    Congratulations on your aquisition. It sure looked nice. Let us know what you are going to ask for them. I am quite sure there are a lot of us who would love to buy one. Me included.

Thanks for sharing that with us and again congrat's

Leave a comment:

• jahkneebee
    replied
    Late breaking news from the Great Maker:

I had the honor(please forgive- I know it was an expensive auction) of winning the Concept Art on E-bay. Last year this would have been totally out of the question financially for me, but I got lucky-THE NEWS:

JMS has to declare this thru Customs for shipment. He asked if I would approve of sending it declared as:

CONCEPT ART- WORK IN PROGRESS

Heck YES! This is from JMS himself and I e-replied that those were three very beautiful words to this fan.

There's more: JMS suggested that I make copies and sell them. I just happen to have some very good friends that own an art gallery. Last year I introduced this couple to ALL FIVE SEASONS! They are now working on the movies. They have agreed to help me print and distribute copies of the Concept Art, and may even throw a show featuring it. I have some personal parameters:

1) These have got to be affordable to the general fan
    2) Rick Biggs family will benefit from at least one run
    3) Jan, I need your address because you put so much heart into this site moderation you are going to get the first copy- for free. [There was so much acrimony by some people over these auctions that I need an ally! ]

Enough for now, keep your eyes open. JMS rules... be the best fan you can.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    Never mind, Andrew-you believe whatever you want. Here in the States, though, banks are clearly defined, regulated and insured. Movie/Television studios do not qualify as banks, nor do they make loans nor do they charge interest. Feel free to ask one for a loan application and see what response you get.
    Probably the same response as the people who wanted to make the Babylon 5 film.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Never mind, Andrew-you believe whatever you want. Here in the States, though, banks are clearly defined, regulated and insured. Movie/Television studios do not qualify as banks, nor do they make loans nor do they charge interest. Feel free to ask one for a loan application and see what response you get.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    No, they want to recoup their investment which is something completely different. If the money isn't 'paid back' by the same person it's given to it's not a loan and WB et al are not banks. No matter how you want to simplify it, that doesn't change.
    You are using a very unusual definition of loan. I can find no requirement that the same person has to pay it back.

As to whether they are a bank or a moneylender or a shylock or an investor could be a long discussion.

Definitions of loan on the Web:

* the temporary provision of money (usually at interest)
    * lend: give temporarily; let have for a limited time; "I will lend you my car"; "loan me some money"
    * loanword: a word borrowed from another language; e.g. `blitz' is a German word borrowed into modern English
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn2.1

* A loan is a type of debt. Like all debt instruments, a loan entails the redistribution of financial assets over time, between the ' and the '. The borrower initially receives an amount of money from the lender, which they pay back, usually but not always in regular instalments, to the lender. This service is generally provided at a cost, referred to as interest on the debt.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loan

* A sum of money given to an individual with the intent that it is to be repaid at some future date along with any agreed upon interest.
    www.keybank.com/html/MOL-6.1.html

* A loan is a type of financial aid which must be repaid, with interest. The federal student loan programs (FFELP and FDSLP) are a good method of financing the costs of your college educational These loans are better than most consumer loans because they have lower interest rates and do not require a credit check or collateral. The Stafford Loans and Perkins Loans also provide a variety of deferment options and extended repayment terms.
    www.riheaa.org/borrowers/loans/glossary.html

* An amount borrowed to be repaid at a later date, with interest.
    http://www.yourcreditcounts.com/cred...s_glossary.jsp

* A financial source that is available to students and their parents through student loan programs with varying interest rates and repayment provisions to supplement the family's financial resources, scholarships, and grants.
    www.salliemae.com/service/gloss_gl.html

* Borrowing from the insurer and securing the amount of the loan with the cash value in the life insurance policy. If the insured dies when there is an outstanding loan balance, the amount of the loan and any unpaid interest will be deducted from the proceeds.
    www.1adv-term-life-insurance.com/glossary_l.htm

* A mortgage loan made by an approved lender and guaranteed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. All veterans, and those currently serving in the military, are eligible for a VA loan, which is commonly characterized by a lower down payment than other types of loans.
    www.mortgageloansearch.net/glossary.shtml

* money borrowed that is usually repaid with interest.
    www.cumex.com/resources/glossary.html

* A type of mortgage not insured by either the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
    http://www.utahrealtyguide.com/archi...icles/7545.asp

* The letting out or renting of money by a lender to a borrower, to be repaid with or without interest.
    www.1choicemortgage.com/Glossary.cfm

* A loan is when a person borrows money from a financial institution or other type of lender with an agreement to pay back the full amount plus interest over a period of time. Loans are usually guaranteed with assets like a vehicle or home. Until the loan is paid off, the lender will have a lien on these assets and has the right to repossess them if the terms of the loan are not met.
    www.carfax.com/Definitions/Glossary.cfm

* A type of financial aid that must be repaid with interest.
    www.1student.org/glossary-l.cfm

* That which one lends or borrows, esp. a sum of money lent at interest; as, he repaid the loan.
    http://www.auto-loan-calculator-auto...an-terms.shtml

* A mortgage loan insured by CMHC.
    www.mytelus.com/homegarden/article.do

* A sum of money lent to an individual (or organization) with an agreement to repay the money, possibly with interest.
    educationusa.state.gov/life/glossary.htm

* A sum of money borrowed (principal) usually for a specific reason (eg to obtain an education). The bank lending the money usually charges interest for use of the money. The amount borrowed is typically repaid with interest over a period of time.
    www.grcc.edu/ShowPage.cfm

* A sum of money lent for a specified period of time and repayable with interest.
    www.yourwebassistant.net/glossary/l9.htm

* Transaction whereby an owner of property (lender) grants another party (borrower) to use the property for a specified length of time. The borrower promises to return the property and to pay a fee (interest) for its use. When the property is cash, the borrower signs a promissory note. A loan may be secured with collateral or unsecured.
    www.rbeck.com/ryan_beck2/invest_glosry_LoLz.htm

* A loan made by a life insurance company from its general funds to a policyowner on the security of the cash value of a policy.
    onestopfinancials.net/Ins_defs.htm

* A binding pledge made by the lender to the borrower to make a loan, usually at a stated interest rate within a given period of time for a given purpose, subject to the compliance of the borrower to stated conditions.
    www.alaskausamortgage.com/help/mtgterms.asp

* A loan which is repaid by a series of small, periodic payments until a given date, when either the balance comes due in a single, large payment or the amount of the payments rises significantly.
    http://www.ezrealestatesolutions.com...Glossary-B.htm

* The Mosaic law required that when an Israelite needed to borrow, what he asked was to be freely lent to him, and no interest was to be charged, although interest might be taken of a foreigner (Ex. 22:25; Deut. 23:19, 20; Lev. 25:35-38). At the end of seven years all debts were remitted. Of a foreigner the loan might, however, be exacted. At a later period of the Hebrew commonwealth, when commerce increased, the practice of exacting usury or interest on loans, and of suretiship in the commercial sense, grew up. Yet the exaction of it
    christianity.about.com/library/weekly/blT0002300.htm

* The amount of total borrowed money, that is repaid with interest.
    http://www.4siterealestate.com/resou...geGlossary.asp

* Housing loans to veterans by banks, savings banks, or other lenders that are guaranteed by the Veterans Administration, enabling veterans to buy a residence with little or no down payment.
    www.rhstitle.com/titleDictionary.lasso

* A lending of a principal sum of money to one who promises to repay the sum plus interest.
    www.census.gov/hhes/www/rfs/glossary.html

* An arrangement in which a lender gives money or property to a borrower, and the borrower agrees to return the property or repay the money, usually along with interest, at some future point(s) in time.
    https://selco.org/consumer/auto_lending.asp

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    Am I disappointed that the film fell through? Yes. Am I upset that JMS told us? Hell no. I just have to read the archived post of JMS, (which I did a year or so ago. Took me a week, and that was when the archives went back to September 1991 when TWCBN was named "Babylon 5".) JMS has shown to be the only person I know of in his line of work to keep the fans informed, who will actually sit for a few hours on his computer instead of sleeping, and wants feedback from his fans. I would be more pissed off if I completely missed any news of a film being made.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Serenity is the movie based on the (extremely) short-lived series Firefly. It was a Joss Whedon show that had a lot of potential. It had interesting characters, story arcs, backstory. I missed it when it was on but heard such good things about it that I bought the DVDs which I've never done before.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Satai Delenn
    replied
    Serenity what's that ?

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I'm hoping that Serenity does really well. So far the trailer looks good and the pre-shows seem to be doing ingredibly well. Maybe if another 'little show that could' makes buckets of money people will cast about for another movie with an already established fan base. Somebody who can close his deals this time.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Satai Delenn
    replied
    Because I really, really WANT a B5 feature film.

We can want a B5 feature film till the cows come home .But if a studio isn't interested in making one were out of luck and I think JMS is on a tight clock with the ages of the cast .They are getting older as everyone does.If a movie does come about I will be cheering it on but I am also trying to be realistic about the possibilites.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X