No announcement yet.

B5 Triologies and Novels / Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As has already been said, the payment problem may have been more about miscommunication. JMS might have thought they wanted him to do a couple months worth of consulting on the books, when the writers/publisher really only want him to read the book when it's done and give some feedback. I would imagine that Claudia Christian knows the B5 universe well enough to write a story that might only need a couple minor notes from JMS. As always, there are far more details than most of us will ever know, so everything we say is just speculation. If and when the new books are released, I'll probably spend the money on them. I'd rather waste money on a few bad books than regret missing out on a few great books.

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow
      Is Mongoose the same size as Wizards of the Coast?
      No, but WotC licenses out the D20 system to everyone.

The best RPG company ever, in my opinion, is West End Games. Their version of Star Wars was great. The books were great for reference purposes, too. The same can be said of the Mongoose B5 books and the WotC SW books, but the WEG SW books had the feel of the universe to them. The WotC stuff is mired in rules and regulations and lacking in the fun that WEG offered, both in play and information. WEG also published a quarterly journal, which had original fiction by SW authors (some of which was pretty significant, such as the round robin story by Zahn and Stackpole), among other things, such as "news reports."
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow
        Perhaps, but I never assumed the $500 per book as a set final offer.

Mongoose Publishing may not be as small as Aardvark/Vanaheim, the comic book company which published Dave Sim's comic "Cerebus" and a handful of other comics. Dave Sim was the company.

Is Mongoose the same size as Wizards of the Coast?
        No idea. I'm not a gamer.

From what Mr. Sprange posted, they did make another offer but it would *seem* that communications ended after the $500/book offer but, of course, I don't know that for sure. As it is, more of this was made public than really should have been, imo.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Another update:
          We are just preparing a new fancy web page for all these, but as a sneak peek for dedicated forum viewers. . .

The first month of releases (I am waiting to hear back for exact confirmation of date, but assume June/July for now) look like this;

Ranger Dawning by Richard Ford
          Actions of Many by MJ Dougherty
          Visions of Peace by Matthew Sprange (ahem)
          No Rest for the Wicked by Claudia Christian

Second month (July/August);

Ashes of the Past by Bruce Graw
          Birth of Heroes by Bryan Steele

And more are in the works, from a variety of authors. I am looking at tackling a Crusade trilogy that wil wrap up that timeline but the work, is, frankly, daunting with my schedule.

One bit of good news is that distribution rights have been increased to be worldwide. . .

. . . except the US.

We aren't picking on you Americans, it is just the way things are for now

Comment

Thanks, Sigma. Does anybody know why they're piling up all these releases this way? It seems like a lot.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

RPG work is notoriously unpredictable. My guess is that they want to get the books out in case they lose the B5 license.
              Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I did a little research.

Richard Ford - By far, the most "famous" author on the list. I don't see any sci-fi under his belt. Reviews of his novels are mixed, but the bad reviews mainly cry "boring."

MJ Dougherty - Professor who has written a couple of fantasy-sounding novels. Didn't see any reviews.

Matthew Sprange (ahem) - RPG only. Who knows? RPG people are creative, so it could turn out to be good.

Claudia Christian - Never heard of her.

Bruce Graw - RPG

Bryan Steele - RPG

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                  My guess is that they want to get the books out in case they lose the B5 license.
                  Wouldn't the license have been issued for a set length of time? Though I do recall that another company had made plans but not had their license renewed so your theory is certainly possible.

Jan

Comment

Claudia Christian - Never heard of her.
                    Surely, you jest.
                    ---
                    Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                    www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Richard Ford - By far, the most "famous" author on the list. I don't see any sci-fi under his belt. Reviews of his novels are mixed, but the bad reviews mainly cry "boring."
                      Assuming he is the same Richard Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
                        Assuming he is the same Richard Ford.
                        It isn't. I had the same thought and ran a search. Richard Ford works for Mongoose.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron
                          Surely, you jest.
                          He probably does. But I don't think his name is Shirley...
                          Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

One bit of good news is that distribution rights have been increased to be worldwide. . .

. . . except the US.

We aren't picking on you Americans, it is just the way things are for now
                            Well, I was already planning an Amazon.uk order for around that time (The next season set of Drop The Dead Donkey is due around then...) so one or two may just get added onto the order...
                            Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by frulad
                              He probably does. But I don't think his name is Shirley...
                              Finally someone that saw Airplane
                              ---
                              Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                              www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

Does anyone of you know where to get the 3rd book (Out Of The Darkness) of the "Legons Of Fire" trilogy? (for a "normal" prize) - and why the HELL is this book out of print but the frist 2 are not???

Comment

Working...
                                X