• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sigma
    Assuming he is the same Richard Ford.
    It isn't. I had the same thought and ran a search. Richard Ford works for Mongoose.

Leave a comment:

• Sigma
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    Richard Ford - By far, the most "famous" author on the list. I don't see any sci-fi under his belt. Reviews of his novels are mixed, but the bad reviews mainly cry "boring."
    Assuming he is the same Richard Ford.

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    replied
    Claudia Christian - Never heard of her.
    Surely, you jest.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    My guess is that they want to get the books out in case they lose the B5 license.
    Wouldn't the license have been issued for a set length of time? Though I do recall that another company had made plans but not had their license renewed so your theory is certainly possible.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    I did a little research.

Richard Ford - By far, the most "famous" author on the list. I don't see any sci-fi under his belt. Reviews of his novels are mixed, but the bad reviews mainly cry "boring."

MJ Dougherty - Professor who has written a couple of fantasy-sounding novels. Didn't see any reviews.

Matthew Sprange (ahem) - RPG only. Who knows? RPG people are creative, so it could turn out to be good.

Claudia Christian - Never heard of her.

Bruce Graw - RPG

Bryan Steele - RPG

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    RPG work is notoriously unpredictable. My guess is that they want to get the books out in case they lose the B5 license.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Thanks, Sigma. Does anybody know why they're piling up all these releases this way? It seems like a lot.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Sigma
    replied
    Another update:
    We are just preparing a new fancy web page for all these, but as a sneak peek for dedicated forum viewers. . .

The first month of releases (I am waiting to hear back for exact confirmation of date, but assume June/July for now) look like this;

Ranger Dawning by Richard Ford
    Actions of Many by MJ Dougherty
    Visions of Peace by Matthew Sprange (ahem)
    No Rest for the Wicked by Claudia Christian

Second month (July/August);

Ashes of the Past by Bruce Graw
    Birth of Heroes by Bryan Steele

And more are in the works, from a variety of authors. I am looking at tackling a Crusade trilogy that wil wrap up that timeline but the work, is, frankly, daunting with my schedule.

One bit of good news is that distribution rights have been increased to be worldwide. . .

. . . except the US.

We aren't picking on you Americans, it is just the way things are for now

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by WillieStealAndHow
    Perhaps, but I never assumed the $500 per book as a set final offer.

Mongoose Publishing may not be as small as Aardvark/Vanaheim, the comic book company which published Dave Sim's comic "Cerebus" and a handful of other comics. Dave Sim was the company.

Is Mongoose the same size as Wizards of the Coast?
    No idea. I'm not a gamer.

From what Mr. Sprange posted, they did make another offer but it would *seem* that communications ended after the $500/book offer but, of course, I don't know that for sure. As it is, more of this was made public than really should have been, imo.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    No, but WotC licenses out the D20 system to everyone.

The best RPG company ever, in my opinion, is West End Games. Their version of Star Wars was great. The books were great for reference purposes, too. The same can be said of the Mongoose B5 books and the WotC SW books, but the WEG SW books had the feel of the universe to them. The WotC stuff is mired in rules and regulations and lacking in the fun that WEG offered, both in play and information. WEG also published a quarterly journal, which had original fiction by SW authors (some of which was pretty significant, such as the round robin story by Zahn and Stackpole), among other things, such as "news reports."

Leave a comment:

• SLerman
    replied
    As has already been said, the payment problem may have been more about miscommunication. JMS might have thought they wanted him to do a couple months worth of consulting on the books, when the writers/publisher really only want him to read the book when it's done and give some feedback. I would imagine that Claudia Christian knows the B5 universe well enough to write a story that might only need a couple minor notes from JMS. As always, there are far more details than most of us will ever know, so everything we say is just speculation. If and when the new books are released, I'll probably spend the money on them. I'd rather waste money on a few bad books than regret missing out on a few great books.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    Perhaps, but I never assumed the $500 per book as a set final offer.

Mongoose Publishing may not be as small as Aardvark/Vanaheim, the comic book company which published Dave Sim's comic "Cerebus" and a handful of other comics. Dave Sim was the company.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    So now every company that publishes books is a...grabs a book off my shelf...Bantam book, Del-Rey, or a Harper-Collins?

From what I've heard about Mongoose, it's a small company.
    Presumably you're referring to the amount offered to JMS? That would be comparing apples and oranges since Mongoose is primarily a gaming company.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro
    ZD, I think I agree with what you're saying. There are people out there who will read anything that has B5 stamped on it, because they love the characters, and more power to 'em, I wouldn't think to deprive them of that pleasure. It's just that I'm not particularly interested in them, and if they're not canonical, I have even less interest. To me, it doesn't feel quite right.
    I'm also saying that if some great writers get in there and put out some kick ass stories, then I'll be a happy man whether or not JMS has proof read/outlined/edited/whatever it all. Peter David has a pretty good grasp of what B5 is all about, so I'd trust someone like him to write a B5 story without JMS's assistance. That's just one example.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    So now every company that publishes books is a...grabs a book off my shelf...Bantam book, Del-Rey, or a Harper-Collins?

From what I've heard about Mongoose, it's a small company.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X