• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    grumbler
    Confirmed User

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranger1
    Well,i dont think they will be that dumb in the future,if they have a communicator which based on a person's DNA,im sure that something like a credit chit will work the same way.
    Hmm, and we saw a criminal break the relatively high-level security on a communicator. The credit chip would have to have a much lower level of security to avoid frequent 'false negatives." Besides, the credit transaction presumably has to be paid for in a percentage 9else why would anyone track credit, as today), and the lurkers are too close to starvation to want to pay it.

As I said, a small cash economy make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1

• Ranger1
    replied
    Well,i dont think they will be that dumb in the future,if they have a communicator which based on a person's DNA,im sure that something like a credit chit will work the same way.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    Ranger Captain

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Even now you can go to your local store and steal that device,you wont get any money,there are some sorts of safety issues.
    Even now you have problems of card "cloning" where people will scan and record the info on the magnetic strip of your credit card, then use it to create a new card, or simply to access your account...

I think that the risk of such thing would be another reason not to give away freely credit chit readers to just about everyone in Downbelow.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    But since many of the lurkers are, in facr, petty criminals, I think the idea of handing out free machines to "take credits" is probably going to be a really bad idea, as that is just exactly what they will try to do!
    Even now you can go to your local store and steal that device,you wont get any money,there are some sorts of safety issues.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    Confirmed User

• grumbler
    replied
    Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.
    But since many of the lurkers are, in facr, petty criminals, I think the idea of handing out free machines to "take credits" is probably going to be a really bad idea, as that is just exactly what they will try to do!

There is clearly room on B5 for a small-scale cash economy, and if Jan is right we see it in action. Large-scale transactions are probably going mostly to be in credits, I would think, since translating large sums of cash into credits (except on immediate arrival) is too likely to draw the attention of the authorities ("just how did this guy/gal get so much cash here on B5?")

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by SciFiRanger
    Originaly posted by Ranger1
    <<Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.>>

Or it would at least be intigrated into your ID/Health/Debit card. Perhaps the average credit chit would be something on the equivalent of a travlers check.
    No i was talking about the device which accept the credit chit

Leave a comment:

• SciFiRanger
    Confirmed User

• SciFiRanger
    replied
    Originaly posted by Ranger1
    <<Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.>>

Or it would at least be intigrated into your ID/Health/Debit card. Perhaps the average credit chit would be something on the equivalent of a travlers check.

Originaly posted by Jan
    <<DRAZI VENDOR: Here it is, Captain Lochley.
    She takes the wrapped sandwich, gives him a coin, and they move on.>>

Lochley would have acess to all the local currencies and could have easily exchanged some chredits for the vendors preferred currency. As for any other coinage used on station, I would assume a similar senario would have played out.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1

• Ranger1
    replied
    Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    1) Shouldn't be too expansive,how much do you think those plastic thingies to iron Visa's costs today?
    Accepting credit/debit cards costs 6-12% of the transaction, depending on your volume. (pretending for a moment that it was a serious question)

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by NotKosh
    Except

1) Not every small little vendor in downbelow will have a credit machine.
    2) Some people don't want all their transactions traceable
    3) The sandwich vender did not swipe and return what Lochley handed him
    4) In another thread, dealing with B5 actions, a link to WB auctions showed a 10 credit chit.
    5) We know ducats are used all the time on B5 as currency, when Garibaldi is on the run, etc.
    1) Shouldn't be too expansive,how much do you think those plastic thingies to iron Visa's costs today?
    2) Yeah...they have a name for those people....criminals LOL.
    3) yes.
    4) dun remeber it,but possible.
    5) Ducats are the Centauri currency.

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    Confirmed User

• NotKosh
    replied
    Except

1) Not every small little vendor in downbelow will have a credit machine.
    2) Some people don't want all their transactions traceable
    3) The sandwich vender did not swipe and return what Lochley handed him
    4) In another thread, dealing with B5 actions, a link to WB auctions showed a 10 credit chit.
    5) We know ducats are used all the time on B5 as currency, when Garibaldi is on the run, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    Confirmed User

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    This is what JMS posted on Money.

Andrew Swallow

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-15207

10/6/1993 6:36:00 AM

Money works as in any large city. You come in with the money of your
    place of origin (assuming you haven't made adjustments prior to arriving),
    and exchange it for prevalent Earth value credits, as determined by the
    current exchange rate. You are issued a credit chit that has your name,
    ID, other information, including genetic information to prevent forgery,
    and that has your available credits as stored in the B5 computer. As you
    pay, as with any credit card, you whittle away at that amount until it's
    gone, at which point you either cash in more of your money...or go broke.

jms

Leave a comment:

• moelawn
    Confirmed User

• moelawn
    replied
    Currency in the B5 Universe

I think they use cwedits.

Anyway, that's what I heard.

"An artist is a bloke who can hold two fundamentally opposing views and still function". Scott Fitzgerald, as quoted by the Roy Bland character in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy."

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    Ship's Surgeon

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Or maybe like with coinage less than $1, there are no exchange rates between the major races' currency when they're used to buy essentials such as food?

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    Ranger Captain

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    It's likely they had coins, equivalent to a few credits, as small change.

I wonder if the exchange rates between Centauri, Narn, Minbari, and Terran currencies were free-floating...

Maybe somewhere in the background images of B5 there is a Universe Today or ISN "hypertext caption" saying something about that, just like we have news briefs about the value of the Euro and the Dollar now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X