No announcement yet.

Monetary unit used on B5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that they use the Mingi and the Pu. Bit of a bugger to lose your small change but hey...
    "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
      I'm not able to pull up the DVD at the moment but the script reads:

DRAZI VENDOR: Here it is, Captain Lochley.

She takes the wrapped sandwich, gives him a coin, and they move on.

HTH,

Jan
      Thanks, Jan.
      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

It's likely they had coins, equivalent to a few credits, as small change.

I wonder if the exchange rates between Centauri, Narn, Minbari, and Terran currencies were free-floating...

Maybe somewhere in the background images of B5 there is a Universe Today or ISN "hypertext caption" saying something about that, just like we have news briefs about the value of the Euro and the Dollar now?
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Or maybe like with coinage less than $1, there are no exchange rates between the major races' currency when they're used to buy essentials such as food?
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Currency in the B5 Universe

I think they use cwedits.

Anyway, that's what I heard.

"An artist is a bloke who can hold two fundamentally opposing views and still function". Scott Fitzgerald, as quoted by the Roy Bland character in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy."

Comment

This is what JMS posted on Money.

Andrew Swallow

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-15207

10/6/1993 6:36:00 AM

Money works as in any large city. You come in with the money of your
              place of origin (assuming you haven't made adjustments prior to arriving),
              and exchange it for prevalent Earth value credits, as determined by the
              current exchange rate. You are issued a credit chit that has your name,
              ID, other information, including genetic information to prevent forgery,
              and that has your available credits as stored in the B5 computer. As you
              pay, as with any credit card, you whittle away at that amount until it's
              gone, at which point you either cash in more of your money...or go broke.

jms
              Andrew Swallow

Comment

Except

1) Not every small little vendor in downbelow will have a credit machine.
                2) Some people don't want all their transactions traceable
                3) The sandwich vender did not swipe and return what Lochley handed him
                4) In another thread, dealing with B5 actions, a link to WB auctions showed a 10 credit chit.
                5) We know ducats are used all the time on B5 as currency, when Garibaldi is on the run, etc.
                "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotKosh
                  Except

1) Not every small little vendor in downbelow will have a credit machine.
                  2) Some people don't want all their transactions traceable
                  3) The sandwich vender did not swipe and return what Lochley handed him
                  4) In another thread, dealing with B5 actions, a link to WB auctions showed a 10 credit chit.
                  5) We know ducats are used all the time on B5 as currency, when Garibaldi is on the run, etc.
                  1) Shouldn't be too expansive,how much do you think those plastic thingies to iron Visa's costs today?
                  2) Yeah...they have a name for those people....criminals LOL.
                  3) yes.
                  4) dun remeber it,but possible.
                  5) Ducats are the Centauri currency.
                  Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1
                    1) Shouldn't be too expansive,how much do you think those plastic thingies to iron Visa's costs today?
                    Accepting credit/debit cards costs 6-12% of the transaction, depending on your volume. (pretending for a moment that it was a serious question)

Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.

Comment

Originaly posted by Ranger1
                        <<Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.>>

Or it would at least be intigrated into your ID/Health/Debit card. Perhaps the average credit chit would be something on the equivalent of a travlers check.

Originaly posted by Jan
                        <<DRAZI VENDOR: Here it is, Captain Lochley.
                        She takes the wrapped sandwich, gives him a coin, and they move on.>>

Lochley would have acess to all the local currencies and could have easily exchanged some chredits for the vendors preferred currency. As for any other coinage used on station, I would assume a similar senario would have played out.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiRanger
                          Originaly posted by Ranger1
                          <<Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.>>

Or it would at least be intigrated into your ID/Health/Debit card. Perhaps the average credit chit would be something on the equivalent of a travlers check.
                          No i was talking about the device which accept the credit chit

Comment

Yeah,but if for the sake of argument,the government would want to throw all the hard currency out of the window and use only some sort of a credit card (chit),then imo they will give them out for free.
                            But since many of the lurkers are, in facr, petty criminals, I think the idea of handing out free machines to "take credits" is probably going to be a really bad idea, as that is just exactly what they will try to do!

There is clearly room on B5 for a small-scale cash economy, and if Jan is right we see it in action. Large-scale transactions are probably going mostly to be in credits, I would think, since translating large sums of cash into credits (except on immediate arrival) is too likely to draw the attention of the authorities ("just how did this guy/gal get so much cash here on B5?")
                            I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
                              But since many of the lurkers are, in facr, petty criminals, I think the idea of handing out free machines to "take credits" is probably going to be a really bad idea, as that is just exactly what they will try to do!
                              Even now you can go to your local store and steal that device,you wont get any money,there are some sorts of safety issues.

Comment

Even now you can go to your local store and steal that device,you wont get any money,there are some sorts of safety issues.
                                Even now you have problems of card "cloning" where people will scan and record the info on the magnetic strip of your credit card, then use it to create a new card, or simply to access your account...

I think that the risk of such thing would be another reason not to give away freely credit chit readers to just about everyone in Downbelow.
                                Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                                James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Working...
                                X