• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Article 3 of the US constitution

http://www.fathermag.com/cgi-bin/pageprint.pl
    # SECTION 3.

Treason defined. Proof of. Punishment

1. Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

2. The Congress shall have power to declare the punishment of treason, but no attainder of treason shall work corruption of blood, or forfeiture, except during the life of the person attainted.
    Andrew Swallow

Comment

Now here is an interesting question. Since Congress never declared war in Viet Nam, they were not "officially" our enemies. So, then, is it treasonous to do anything in relation to someone who is "not" an "enemy"?
      "Ivanova is God!"

Comment

Everyone: you are carrying the joke too far. Just say "haha" and move on.
        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by SpooRancher
          I'm sorry. I thought one of the wonderful things about this country was that it was not considered treasonous to voice your conscience and act upon it. Silly me. I wonder what will happen to all those of us who have voiced opposition to Ascroft and the Patriot Act?

Will they still be calling us traitors in 30 years?
          Travelling to a country we are at war with and giving aid to the enemy is treason. That is not free speech. Actions are not speech, despite decades of "interpretation" of the Constitution. The bit about the war not being a declared war has me wondering. I can't believe it wasn't recognized as a war at some time though...
          Last edited by NotKosh; 04-18-2005, 10:35 AM.
          "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotKosh
            Travelling to a country we are at war with and giving aid to the enemy is treason. That is not free speech. Actions are not speech, despite decades of "interpretation" of the Constitution. The bit about the war not being a declared war has me wondering. I can't believe it wasn't recognized as a war at some time though...
            I can. In simple terms the UN has banned war. It cannot stop wars being fought but it can make declaring war embarrassing.

The modern equivalent of a declaration of war is getting a UN Security Council Resolution authorising "force".

Declarations of War are made between two countries and at a level above their constitutions.
            Andrew Swallow

Comment

Working...
            X