• Firebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
    "American English "
    A contradiction in itself....

Leave a comment:

• Redrake
    replied
    Let's hope in the end they'll work something out. But I also hope it won't take 15 years like it happend to Star Trek.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by Redrake
    There was at some point discussed wether Sci-Fi Channel should do the series, but they couldn't because of their low budget. The problem is that there aren't many big companies for TV series.
    IIRC, the problem wasn't that SciFi's budget was small, it was that it was already spent, and TNT wasn't making things easy. SciFi would really need the rights to rerun B5 and to rebroadcast the original 13 eps of Crusade, but TNT had pruchased those rights and set the sale price very high. MikkoM, B5 was owned by WB and the sold broadcast rights to other entities. Usually series have to have their broadcast rights sold in order to be to be made since the studios don't want to go too far into speculation. TNT ordered Crusade from WB. When the cancelled their order, WB tried to sell it elsewhere, but there isn't a huge market for used series, especially in genre TV.

Leave a comment:

• Redrake
    replied
    Originally posted by MikkoM
    Isn`t/wasn`t it possible to change TNT to some other production company? And what is Warner Bros role in the production?
    There was at some point discussed wether Sci-Fi Channel should do the series, but they couldn't because of their low budget. The problem is that there aren't many big companies for TV series.

Leave a comment:

• MikkoM
    replied
    Question?

Isn`t/wasn`t it possible to change TNT to some other production company? And what is Warner Bros role in the production?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    My apologies. I looked it up. I always thought "oaf" meant a big guy.
    Just the ones in the photographs. They consider the big guys more photogenic.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Sorry Z'ha'dumDweller since by definition an oaf is stupid you cannot be both intelligent and an oaf.
    My apologies. I looked it up. I always thought "oaf" meant a big guy.

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    My thoughts exactly. They do not deserve any prize for style. But TNT is business. The only thing they did that I think is inexcusable to the fans is the way they blocked others from continuing the series.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Without wanting to get into the Geek / Jock debate (other than to say I have no problem with being considered "a bit of a geek"), I think everyone is making the same point, but thinking it is a disagreement as far as Crusade goes.

The bottom line is ...

TNT discovered that B5 viewers were tuning in for B5 and then tuned out again at the end, not sticking around for their other programmes, whilst regular TNT viewers tuned out for B5 and tuned back in again at the end. If their goal was to use Crusade to increase the TNT viewer base, their experience with B5 indicated it would be a massive mailure.

In that context their decision to cancel the show made perfect sense from a commercial point of view, and I imagine they would still feel that way, as they would never have seen a penny of the DVD profits, since both B5 and Crusade belong to WB.

What was stupid/childish/add your own insult, was the way they went about it. They should have gone to JMS and WB and said they wanted out of the contract to produce Crusade, but that would have meant (presumably) contractual penalties for pulling the plug.

Rather than front up to WB with the truth, they just set about destroying the show by making demands that they knew JMS would never agree to and claim WB/JMS had breached the contract by not giving them the show they wanted.

Having done all that they obviously didn't want anyone else to make the show a success so, much as the Drakh did in ACtA, they poisoned the well.

TNT did behave despicably in the way they went about cancelling Crusade, but I would defend until my dying day their right to cancel it if it wasn't achieving what they wanted it to achieve.

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Towelmaster - nerds and jocks are normally considered to be opposites.

Wikipedia definition of Jock
    " 3. In American English it is a slang term for an athlete, sometimes one thought of as stupid. This term is especially common in secondary schools and colleges. The stereotypical jock is obsessed with sports. It may have come from 'jockstrap', slang for 'athletic supporter'. "
    Yeah, and I don't give a damn what some people decide to call me. I've got better things to do with my time... ;-) Is all I'm saying...

Even though I do have a brain the size of a planet...
    (thank you Marvin. GOD! That movie has to come out soon now!)

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    What about me? I am both intelligent and a musclebound oaf (6'6, 270lbs -- that's 1.98m, 122kg for you non-Americans). I like B5 and low-brow entertainment.
    Sorry Z'ha'dumDweller since by definition an oaf is stupid you cannot be both intelligent and an oaf.

Towelmaster - nerds and jocks are normally considered to be opposites.

Wikipedia definition of Jock
    " 3. In American English it is a slang term for an athlete, sometimes one thought of as stupid. This term is especially common in secondary schools and colleges. The stereotypical jock is obsessed with sports. It may have come from 'jockstrap', slang for 'athletic supporter'. "

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    What about me? I am both intelligent and a musclebound oaf (6'6, 270lbs -- that's 1.98m, 122kg for you non-Americans). I like B5 and low-brow entertainment.
    Well you cannot be adequately described ZhD, a description like that would make a mess all over the Nielsen-system.

I personally don't give a flying f*ck about what people call me. Nerd, Geek, Jock(?), whatevah. Sticks and stones...

I do think the first posting was/is a bit one-sided. More info is available through the various channels. To me it seems the TNT-approach was basically 'if we don't make Crusade then nobody else will either'... Stupid yes, an insult to the fans yes. But it made perfect sense from a business-point of view then. Now, after half a billion in sales from B-5 DVD's alone, perhaps TNT is quietly cursing their own judgement. Which means that they'll do it all over again next time but for other reasons...

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Geeks are intelligent - one of the reasons that the muscle bound oafs dislike us.

The only people they like are violent bullies whose hobbies are wine, women and song.

Leave a comment:

• Bonehead
    replied
    Well, although I'm English and we dont use the term 'jock', I guess I would be classed as one. My passion being football (or soccer to those of you from across the water)

This may surprise you to know, but I'm a huge B5 fan as well.

Next you'll be telling me I cant like Star Trek and B5, but I do. This argument is old and any such labels are nonsense....

...and yes, 90% of the time the term 'geek' is meant as derogatory.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Originally posted by LightStorm
    It also seems to gravitate towards the more intelligent.
    Geeks are intelligent - one of the reasons that the muscle bound oafs dislike us.

The only people they like are violent bullies whose hobbies are wine, women and song.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X