Interviews on DVD's More?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice One ZHD....!

By the way ZHD, your avatar is seriously cool. Are you a BATMAN fan?
    http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
    Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
    47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Originally posted by LightStorm
      As far as I am concerned, If your professional opinion regarding a piece of your work is callled for, be it at a convention or as DVD extras, then you should be compensated for it.
      And they are at conventions (at least for nominal costs). The question seems to be whether they get paid residuals based on DVD sales. The consensus seems to be that they do not, but I have to wonder if the consensus is informed.

There seems to be a distinction between 'Cast members who loved the show' and 'Those just in it for the money'. Why is it so impossible to be a person that loved working on the show (and walked away from it at the end with some real life-long friends) but still being expected to be paid for any additional work done to promote and/or suppliment that original product? Seems perfectly fair to me. And when you consider the lack of interview material actually used (as previously stated) either newly shot or pre-existing, it makes you wonder just what did happen to the rest of it.
      Again, this assumes that the actors and producers did not get compensated through increased sales for their efforts. I am pretty sure, from what I have heard through other sources, that guest stars and extras do not. Principals, apparently, do. I would love to see this sorted out.

If the principals get compensated by increased sales, then their commentaries and interviews are less selfless than proclaimed here (hough no less appreciated by me). If they are not, then I will be the first to thank them for reminding me of Garibaldi's dents in his head.

I do have to say that, aside from the commentaires themselves - my personal favourite - the rest of the extras were pretty poor, 85% of them being a touch pointless. The music suite and the gag reels, were probably the best, non-commentary, extras on offer. When you consider the price of the boxed sets (per piece) you feel that there should have been much more.
      Ja, when you see what some series do (like SG-1 having comentary on every episode) you get jealous until you listen to what passes for "commentary' and then thank goodnes the B5 DVDs had an editor!
      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
        If the principals get compensated by increased sales, then their commentaries and interviews are less selfless than proclaimed here (hough no less appreciated by me). If they are not, then I will be the first to thank them for reminding me of Garibaldi's dents in his head.
        You seem to be assuming that DVD residual payments are based on unit sales. Where did that information come from?

Assuming they get "compensated by increased sales", how much do you suppose they get? $.01 per set? More? Less? And just how much is 'enough' compensation when you consider that the studio will profit much more simply by being able to proclaim that there are commentaries and other extras? If those who participate are being 'compensated' as you say, shouldn't those who chose not to or who weren't available lose that residual? They don't. That's not fair, is it?

What if the residual is simply a payment for the use of the episode in that particular medium-a one-time payment? Joe DeM gave the links for SAG and WGA. Are you going to research the question?

I still think that any new material such as interviews and commentaries should be compensated for appropriately. Previous promotional material done might arguably be part of the shows or episodes.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Even so, it's something of a double standard to proclaim your enjoyment of something but refuse to participate unless you are "fairly" compensated. That's why I don't buy these athletes' claims of "loving the game" and bullshit like that.
          Z'ha'dumDweller, this is a _totally_ specious argument! I enjoy programming, but I also have a mortgage to pay and food and DVDs and books to buy - should I work on my customers' sites for free? No, this is what I do for a living, and if I'm privileged enough to enjoy what I do for a living, that's a bonus. It doesn't mean I shouldn't be paid.

Similarly, athletes should be paid for _their_ work (but let's not get into those outrageous salaries), and actors should be paid for _their_ work. For _all_ of their work, including DVD extras they work on after the show is over and they are no longer drawing a paycheck. It's more work - and most people can't afford to work for free, and shouldn't be expected to.

Amy

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
            You seem to be assuming that DVD residual payments are based on unit sales. Where did that information come from?
            You mean the assumption that
            The consensus seems to be that they do not, but I have to wonder if the consensus is informed.
            ?
            It is just my natural way of being. Nothing personal

Assuming they get "compensated by increased sales", how much do you suppose they get? $.01 per set? More? Less? And just how much is 'enough' compensation when you consider that the studio will profit much more simply by being able to proclaim that there are commentaries and other extras? If those who participate are being 'compensated' as you say, shouldn't those who chose not to or who weren't available lose that residual? They don't. That's not fair, is it?
            Dunno, and not relevant to my point. If the actors get compensated for increased sales for their participation, then they are in a different league than the "crew types" who admittedly get paid for their time, which was my only point.

What if the residual is simply a payment for the use of the episode in that particular medium-a one-time payment? Joe DeM gave the links for SAG and WGA. Are you going to research the question?
            Don't need to, so long as the cast gets paid on a per-copy-sold basis. If they are not, then a statement to the contrary backed by the source is enough. If they are, then ten sources stating they are is of no more value than one, because you are debating one who agrees with you.

I still think that any new material such as interviews and commentaries should be compensated for appropriately. Previous promotional material done might arguably be part of the shows or episodes.

Jan
            Dunno what "appropriately" means here, which is, of course, the whole issue.

Should magazines and DVDs pay for interviews? If they do so, should it be just for actors, or should the President's Press Secretary charge for interviews as well?

My view on interviews is that one either agrees to them unconditionally (ie one trades the publication of ones views for ones right to keep those views secret unless paid to make them public) or one shuts the hell up (as Andre K has done). What one should be paid to publicize one's view is a non-sequiter.
            I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Re: Nice One ZHD....!

Originally posted by LightStorm
              By the way ZHD, your avatar is seriously cool. Are you a BATMAN fan?
              Thanks. It's the version of Batman from Kingdom Come, painted by Alex Ross.

I am a huge fan of Bats and I can't wait for the film that's coming this Summer. I've always liked him because he is the antithesis of Superman. I have always felt (and so has Bruce?) that Clark suffers from a certain naivete -- perhaps from his humble upbringing -- and always assumes the best in people while Batman is more of a realist and assumes the worst. It's Bruce's paranoia and undying desire for justice -- HIS brand of justice -- that I've always found fascinating. His obsession with cleaning up Gotham City reminds me of Javert in Les MisÚrables.

I just hope that the movie at least closely portrays the real character of Batman.
              Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Working...
              X