Interviews on DVD's More?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviews on DVD's More?

I'm a bit annoyed by the extremely brief snips of interviews included in DVDs from all 5 seasons of B5. Just when you get a glance at a great character in their civies, the image changes very fast to something else.

I would like to see a single DVD issued with much more from the cast and crew, producers, JMS, etc. It would be great to hear more than the one partial sentence usually devoted to the actors without their make-up.

Surely the actors and the rest aren't idiots. So why did WB make the extra features with interview snips?
    Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
    Kosovo: 1999, 2004
    New York City: September 11, 2001
    Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
    Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
    http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Cast and crew aren't paid for commentary, so we're lucky to get what we get.

Amy

Comment

Originally posted by AislingGrey

Amy
      Yeah, and they can't give up too much of their free time because it must be used to volunteer for organizations which encourage such things as wildlife reserves and gun grabbing.
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I'm sure I must have said this before, but I do feel that it's a bit of a shame that virtually every single major cast member was tracked down and interviewed for these discs... and yet all we get on most of the sets is a 5 minute introduction to the season. The cast commentary in each set is...okay...but it would have been nice to have a more extended documentary for each season. I'm sure that with the amount of subjects that can be covered, and the fact that half a dozen plus interviewees must come up with more than enough material (there must be a lot of unused stuff), we could have had half an hour at least. Just strikes me as a bit of a wasted opportunity.
        Doctor Who World Cup 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
          Yeah, and they can't give up too much of their free time because it must be used to volunteer for organizations which encourage such things as wildlife reserves and gun grabbing.
          Or having a radio program in Jerry Doyle's case.
          ---
          Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
          www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

I am glad that we have any cast commentary at all .Remember they could just say no I am too busy right now.As Aisling said they ARE NOT PAID for it.Be glad for what we got a great show with movies ,a short lived spinoff and a movie for the big screen.

Faith Manages
            Last edited by Satai Delenn; 02-15-2005, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I think Amy's observation would be interesting to explore more. How do people feel about the issue of compensation for cast and crew when it comes to DVD extras? I've never been able to decide exactly how I feel about it. I suppose Brother Theo might say, "No defined system of belief."

On the one hand, I think everyone should get paid for their work, and this really is the profession of these people. If they volunteer their time, the studios will satisfy consumers' demand for more extras by using them as much as possible. Essentially the studios can charge more and sell more by including the uncompensated efforts of the cast and crew. I can certainly respect Andreas' stand that he won't do them without compensation.

On the other hand, if they were to be compensated for all the interviews and commentaries, would the studios be willing to pay extra to produce the discs? Would the public be willing to pay more to buy them? Would we lose the window into the world of filmaking, or only be able to get limited perspectives if the studios were only willing to pay one big name person to do the commentary? There is, in some respects, a precedent since actors are often expected to do junkets to promote a work. Also, I've got to think that the reason a lot of the cast and crew do commentaries or interviews is because they enjoy doing it. They are justifiably proud of their work.

As you can see, I am decidedly undecided! What does everyone else think?
              "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

I would be willing to pay more money if I got more cast comments on episodes and whatever else may be put on them.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste

As you can see, I am decidedly undecided! What does everyone else think?
                  The way I see it, if the recording studio, camera operator, contractor putting the extras together etc. are doing it for free then the actors should too. If they're getting paid then so should the actors. Fair is fair.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I was under the impression that the actors and producers got a residual from DVD sales, and thus anything they do to increase sales will make them money indirectly. Do they not receive anything from DVD sales, or is this work on DVD commentaries truly uncompensated?

Crew members and others not getting residuals would, of course, need to be paid for their work on the commentaries, and the actors and producers should also be paid if they get no payout from the DVD sales.
                    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
                      I was under the impression that the actors and producers got a residual from DVD sales, and thus anything they do to increase sales will make them money indirectly. Do they not receive anything from DVD sales, or is this work on DVD commentaries truly uncompensated?
                      Residuals are actually deferred compensation for work already done - the acting. By saying that residuals are compensation for new work, then anybody not doing interviews or commentary shouldn't get residuals for the DVDs.

I'm sure residuals for DVDs are negotiated much more favorably toward the actors now than they were back then, too...since DVD either didn't exist or was in it's infancy.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
                        I was under the impression that the actors and producers got a residual from DVD sales, and thus anything they do to increase sales will make them money indirectly.
                        As Jan pointed out, residulas themselves are deferred compensation, so you can't really count those. The additional residuals that might result from increased sales are, as you pointed out, another possible form of compensation, albeit indirect and speculative. That's kind of the enlightened self interest approach. Do what you can to make a better producte and increase sales. There's also a self-interest aspect with regard to putting your face, as an actor, in front of more people. Publicity, if you will. It might also be considered a demonstration of willingness to go the extra distance in supporting a project. All told, though, I can't think the incremental residuals or the possible PR bump would be terribly large.
                        "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Yes, I am grateful for what we've got, and I am aware that the cast get paid nothing - or next to nothing - for their involvement with the DVDs.

All I'm saying is, each season of B5 deserves something a little more indepth than a 5 minute documentary - and I would have liked to have seen something more substantial, as I'm sure hours and hours worth of interview material was assembled.

It's no argument at all to say that these features can't be longer because the stars aren't paid for their contributions. If they were being paid according to how many minutes they were on screen, that argument would make some sense.

Hey, it's not a major compaint - or hardly a complaint at all - but it's my favourite show and I'd like to have seen its stars relive the good old days for a little longer.
                          Doctor Who World Cup 2010

Comment

Are u kidding?

Originally posted by AislingGrey

Amy
                            Well I never knew that!

It was my honest belief that the cast and crew were paid for commentaries and interviews. WOW! Now that really annoys me because as far as I am concerned, that represents work. It may not be in costume, in front of a set or speaking lines of dialogue writtten in advance... but it is still work, related to previous work, from which the studio will make even more money.

How can they not be paid? That is just plain UNFAIR!!!

It just goes to show what a fine bunch of folks the B5 cast and crew really are! To do it from sheer love of the product.

It makes you really agree doesn't it?
                            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

LightStorm, it wasn't clear from your post whether you realized that it isn't just B5. Not paying for interviews and commentaries is pretty much the industry standard as far as I know. Pretty much everytime you get a DVD with those features it is through the generous efforts of the cast and crew. I do recall hearing of a couple of instances where a big-name person negotiated some payment, but I haven't heard that often at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X