X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kloreep
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    Another emotional moment for me is from the movie "In the Beginning" the opening monologue is a great statement. I'm not an emotional person normally, but B5 can hit those chords once you've experienced the entire series a few times...
    Indeed. The one Londo has later on in ITB, about how the humans continued fighting on despite their losses and the hopelessness of the situation, gets me every time.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    LotR, only caught one episode, from a hotel room in Peru of all places.
    There was only the one pilot episode; it never made it to series. So you've seen all there is to see of LotR.

Originally posted by Paul
    IMHO Londo, G'Kar, and Garibaldi made season 5 worth while.
    I'm not sure it was only that making it worthwhile, but Londo and G'kar are definitely the best part of it, IMO.

JMS wrapped up most of the story when UPN decided not to pick up season 5 and TNT did at the last minute.
    JMS has said Season 4's plot would only have spilled over in to Season 5 by 4 episodes worth... so I don't think it would have been all that different because of that, except perhaps without episodes like Learning Curve and A View From the Gallery.

One could only wonder how the show would have went if Claudia Christian had been there for season 5. I liked Ivanova.
    IIRC, JMS has said it would have been Ivanova, not Lyta, who got romantically involved with Byron.

Lyta would still have joined his group and become a loyal member, ending up at essentially the same spot, but Byron would have simply been a friend.

How things would have gone otherwise is interesting to speculate about... would she have agreed to the telepath colony without Sheridan forcing her to? Etc. Plenty of room for variation from what Lochley did.
    Last edited by Kloreep; 02-16-2005, 07:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    IMHO Londo, G'Kar, and Garibaldi made season 5 worth while. JMS wrapped up most of the story when UPN decided not to pick up season 5 and TNT did at the last minute. One could only wonder how the show would have went if Claudia Christian had been there for season 5. I liked Ivanova. One could also wonder how the story would have went if Michael O'Hare had remained onboard? Teah I know I am dragging up old hat but speculation is what makes the forums fun.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The turn and salute scene is just too much to watch without shedding a tear. I have to turn off the DVD there because if I watch the beginning of the credits where they show the film crew with the WhiteStar formation overhead, I really tear up.

Another emotional moment for me is from the movie "In the Beginning" the opening monologue is a great statement. I'm not an emotional person normally, but B5 can hit those chords once you've experienced the entire series a few times...

I liked the mystique of the Techno-mages in B5, and Crusade robbed me of that, not that it was a bad series, but it was certaily more of a trekkie show. LotR, only caught one episode, from a hotel room in Peru of all places. Not too interested as I was watching, until G'kar showed up, good to see a familiar face!

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste
    When I watched the episodes the second time, the telepath story receded somewhat and didn't seem so large.
    Thats the difference between watching an episode every week and between watching few episodes in a row.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Oddly enough, I liked S5 right from the start with one real exception -- the telepath story. Where my experience differed from the first viewing to the second was in how big the story loomed in my recollection. When I saw S5 the first time, it felt like the telepath story dominated the first third of the season. When I watched the episodes the second time, the telepath story receded somewhat and didn't seem so large.

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Synbios1978
    Finished watching season 5 on Saturday. I will say that I'm very glad I watched it but it's sad there's no more actual B5.

But, thanks again for convincing me to watch it. I went into Season 5 with very low expectations and was plesantly surprised by how everything went.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there Synbios1978, you went in with low expectations. After S4's initial run, the huge movement through the arc contained therein, the threat of cancellation, the actual canellation, the last minute reprive to the airing if the 5th season episodes, Claudia not being onboard for this final call, all this built up ENORMOUS (and on reflection, unrealistic) expectation. That is why many people didn't really like it much first time around...including (YIPES!) me!! It was difficult to find the required shift of gears needed to tell this final section of the story, and get used to it. That is why, this last time around my family and I Really appreciated S5 for the fantastic season that it actually was, funny, thoughtful, witty, articulate, intelligent, exciting, dramatic, emotional. All the things, in fact, which the previous four years had had - it was just that the appearence of new faces and restructuring of the story alittle dictated that a slower start was required to fit in all those new elements. But it sure worked out fine by me.

JMS rocks!

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan
    I'm not sure, but wasn't the music for that scene (the turn and salute scene) the same as for when the Station was destroyed?
    Jan
    Yes its the same music,ok im off to cry

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranger1
    I have tears in my eyes just from reading that,for real.

The episode you are talking about is Objects at Rest,and indeed its sad..ok enough,im trying not to focus myself on those last 2 episodes of B5
    I'm not sure, but wasn't the music for that scene (the turn and salute scene) the same as for when the Station was destroyed? Just the music can choke me up because you can 'see' the story in the music oftentimes.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ranger1
    replied
    Originally posted by Synbios1978
    However, I think my favorite moment was the next to last episode where Sheridan turned the white star around before heading to Menbar and looked at the "new cast" standing in C&C looking back at them. That's when I believe it fully hit me exactly how far the series had come.
    I have tears in my eyes just from reading that,for real.

The episode you are talking about is Objects at Rest,and indeed its sad..ok enough,im trying not to focus myself on those last 2 episodes of B5

Leave a comment:

• Synbios1978
    replied
    Finished watching season 5 on Saturday. I will say that other than the telepath storyline, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lockley was a little out there at first, but she wasn't in enough for me to form a deep opinion about her. I kinda wish there was more of her as I would have liked to form an opinion. I loved Londo and G'Kar and I liked what resulted with Lyta, especially when she explained to Garabaldi exactly what she was, however, I found myself bored with the methods used to get there. I found a lot of enjoyment with the episode focused on Bester and his trainees, and of course thoroughly loved the bittersweet Sleeping in the Light. However, I think my favorite moment was the next to last episode where Sheridan turned the white star around before heading to Menbar and looked at the "new cast" standing in C&C looking back at them. That's when I believe it fully hit me exactly how far the series had come.

I'm very glad I watched it, although I hate the fact that there is no more B5 to watch. I guess there's always the movies and Crusade, but it's sad there's no more actual B5.

But, thanks again for convincing me to watch it. I went into Season 5 with very low expectations and was plesantly surprised by how everything went.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    RE: The Hand in L ot Rangers, just remember:

"Let me pass on to you the one thing I've learned about this place.
    No one here is exactly what he appears.
    Not Mollari, not Delenn, not Sinclair .. and not me."

G'Kar to Sakai in Babylon 5:"Mind War"

"I told you before you left: 'No one here is entirely what they appear.'
    If I surprised you, all the better. Good day, Ms. Sakai."

G'Kar to Sakai in Babylon 5:"Mind War"
    And not The Hand.

You just can't Trust the Vorlon.
    JMS will lead you down the path of your expectations, then kick you right in your assumptions...

Leave a comment:

• mslulu
    replied
    I liked Season 5 ok. I think people had a hard time with Lochley. I know I did at first, but the more I watched, the more I really liked her.

I also enjoyed Londo and G'kar's character development. Not to mention that Sleeping in Light is the finale to end all finales in my opinion (though it was filmed for Season 4.)

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelmaster
    Slightly off-topic : Jan, remember that I said I would get season5 once mr. taxman would own up? Called them and they are going to next week... :

Don't expect me on the forum too much in the week after that...
    Well, don't forget to come up for air every once in a while to report in, okay? Enjoy!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Slightly off-topic : Jan, remember that I said I would get season5 once mr. taxman would own up? Called them and they are going to next week... :

Don't expect me on the forum too much in the week after that...

Leave a comment:

• Satai Delenn
    replied
    Here's another vote for LOTR had a lot of promise as well.The crew especially had a lot of room for conflict espeically for the fact the rangers were admitting people from other races to join.It would have been nice to see how Tirk and Nafeel and how any others who weren't human or minbari felt about wearing a pin that only reperensed the two races.If Delenn wanted the ISA to to show all the member then the ranger pin should have been redesigned and I thought the Hand had promise .But we will never know it would seem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X