Season 5 Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 5 Opinion

Well, thanks to all the encouragement on this board, I finished Season 4 of B5 on Sunday, and last night watched the first disk of Season 5. I will say I went into Season 5 expecting little, since season 4 wraps up many things, however I've so far been fairly pleasantly surprised. Although the episodes remind me more of a Star Trek The Next Generation feel as I'm getting introduced to a new character and new storylines are establishing themselves, the individual episodes contain more substance than I was expecting. So, with 1 disc completed, I'm happy that I've started the season. Next up, finishing season 5 and grabing a set of Crusade before the press run without JMS commentary is started.
    Peace, Love, & Recycle

-Synbios1978

I can only say how envious I am that you have 'new' B5 to watch. Enjoy!

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Another one of those bastards who hasn't seen all the episodes eh Jan?
      "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Originally posted by Towelmaster
        Another one of those bastards who hasn't seen all the episodes eh Jan?
        Lucky, lucky things! No way I could have waited this long, though. Being able to watch Sleeping in Light multiple times makes up for it.

As long as they share the experience!

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I've yet to see half of Crusade and Rangers, so I still have B5 'yet to come'.

Its jsut a question of getting the disks released in the UK!
          "Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance."
          -- Lyndon Baines Johnson, February 11, 1964

-- "Gun's don't kill people, rappers do" The GLC

Comment

It's just a question of getting the disks released in the UK!
            And getting the disc released in the U.S. in the case of Rangers. It hasn't even been officially announced here, although its eventual release is clearly inevitable.

Regards,

Joe
            Joseph DeMartino
            Sigh Corps
            Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Like many TV shows, Babylon 5 plays much better on DVD because you get to watch them straight through.

However, I have not really liked Crusade much. And I thought Legend of the Rangers was complete, unmitigated crap. I would not buy it if they released it on DVD.
              Last edited by Sherlock; 02-09-2005, 08:15 AM.

Comment

How can I give my opinion without giving things away? I'll try my best!!

The thing LightStorm and I found with Season 5 was that, once you got past the fact that the first section of story telling (ie the 'telepath' thread with YES that god-awful song!), by definition had to be self contained, then it is a cracking season. By design, it needed to be that way because those episodes would have originally been the conclusion of the EARTH WAR thread so there was only a certain number of episodes in which to close out that particular piece, before returing to 'original' arc material

As seasons go S5 has just as much/more depth and pure emotional drama in it as ANY of the previous 4. I defy even the most steadfast, hard-as-nails, no-nonsesne, not-affected-by-TV-dramas cynic to not be moved by Londo's soiltary walk at the conclusion of the Cenaturi thread, or to not be in floods of tears during SiL when Sheriden tries on his black uniform after 20yrs in storage. IT IS SUPERB!!!!

As a footnote to this, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law rewatched S5 also, being of the opinion that they didn't really like it 1st time round. As they had watched it through from S1 ep1 LightStorm urged them to not stop at S4 but go through to the end, with reluctance they agreed.

By the time they got to the emotional centre of 'Sleping In Light', they were sobbing their eyes out! So much for not enjoying the season!
                Last edited by Firebird; 02-09-2005, 08:58 AM.
                Not the One......

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock
                  Like many TV shows, Babylon 5 plays much better on DVD because you get to watch them straight through.

However, I have not really liked Crusade much. And I thought Legend of the Rangers was complete, unmitigated crap. I would not buy it if they released it on DVD.
                  A touch strong really. I am sure that, as seems to be the case with alot of folks on these boards, LotR will grow on you.

Possibly....

In the end....

(or not)
                  Not the One......

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird
                    A touch strong really. I am sure that, as seems to be the case with alot of folks on these boards, LotR will grow on you.

Possibly....

In the end....

(or not)
                    Honestly, I thought the actors were unappealing, the production values were beyond low-budget, the virtual reality weapons firing seemed ridiculous, and worst of all the story was just completely boring. If that's what the series would have been like we should all be greatful to Sci-Fi for deciding not to make it. Otherwise it would likely have tarnished the reputation of Babylon 5. Just putting B5 on something just isn't enough for me to like it.

I can appreciate that some people enjoy it, though. I'm not implying that everybody should agree.
                    Last edited by Sherlock; 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock
                      Honestly, I thought the actors were unappealing, the production values were beyond low-budget, the virtual reality weapons firing seemed ridiculous, and worst of all the story was just completely boring. If that's what the series would have been like we should all be greatful to Sci-Fi for deciding not to make it. Otherwise it would likely have tarnished the reputation of Babylon 5. Just putting B5 on something just isn't enough for me to like it.

I can appreciate that some people enjoy it, though. I'm not implying that everybody should agree.
                      Got to be honest with you Sherlock, I felt exaclty the same way.

But then, and even I am not really sure when it happened, somewhere along the line I began to see things within it that didn't seem that bad after all. Except for that VR firing system, that WAS crap. I for one (and it is 'one' because my Firebird still thinks it is all undigestible do-do of the highest order - as you may be able to discern from her somewhat toungue-in-cheek reply!!) would actually rather like to have seen just who/what the 'Hand' are and the kind of damage that they could deliver...but that may just be me!?

http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                      Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                      47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

The presence of G'Kar saved LOTR for me...just. It was certainly a weak pilot, and it's quite easy to see why it didn't go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird
                          By the time they got to the emotional centre of 'Sleping In Light', they were sobbing their eyes out! So much for not enjoying the season!
                          I have only once been able to watch that scene since it first aired better than five years ago (and I have watched the ep any number of times). There is just something so... intolerably sad about that scene, ithout the triumphant elements of the other sad scenes. Mira and Bruce (and Chris) did that scene so well it is literally intolerable to me, and I skip past it every time.
                          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Yeah, one again they discovered huge powerful race, that somohow nobody seen before. Like like in Thirdspace. Wait, just like in Babylon 5 main arc. Wait a minute...

Why JMS cannot take existing story thread and use it? Without using the same thing once again and again? There are some repetitive elements, that bother me: Sheridan's use of nukes, sudden discovery of oh-so-powerful races... quite cheesy! As well as spin-off series with concept "a new world every week". Argh.

And in the same time the previous shadow war, the Valen, the Telepath war - all untouched...

Comment

It appears i might be alone here, but i though LotR had promise.. I mean in Thirdspace they met a race that almost destroyed the Vorlons. That got me to thinking long before the LotR of the possibility.
                              I mean imagine how the series could have progressed. Yes, we would have some inevitably intollerable eps, but the true genius of the story could have come through given a seaon and a half. I know that few suits are willing to take that much of a gamble, but i think it would have eventually paid off.
                              Look at Andromeda and Earth:Final Conflict. I didn't care for either in the beginning, but I got hooked on Earth by the end of the first season, and ok, yeah it took til last year for me to like Andromeda, but Now I like it.

On the release front, it may be too obvious, but how significant would a press release on 5/5/05 be? It may by just cheey enough for a suit to suggest .
                              There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against such power, governments, and kingdoms, and conquerors cannot stand.
                              WE WILL BE FREE!

Comment

Working...
                              X