New JMS post 1/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jan

There are union minimums that would *have* to be offered. Above that, everything, and I mean *everything* is negotiable. Movies seem to be where the big money is so unless some of the B5 actors is a lot richer than I think (JD being a possible exception) and they're working a lot more steadily than I think, chances are good that they'll at least enter negotiations with the studios. They've got to consider more than just the money, though. Could be they've got other plans for their careers.

One thing the actors and musicians can negotiate about are residues on New Display Technologies. There are a whole host of new machines for watching movies coming along - from tv over internet to flash memory cards via USB hard disc drives + others.

For the artists having an income whilst the movie stays in copyright is a significant advantage. With a good agent they may even get 1%.

For the manufacture of say memory crystals a 15% royalty fee is easy to manage, he just increases his prices. Reduced manufacturing costs due to mass production, inflation and increased sales are handled automatically.

The advantage to the studio of New Display Technology clauses in contracts is that[list=1][*]It does not cost anything this year, so no change to the budget.[*]Advance planning means that there is no delay, due to negotiating with the artists, each time a new method comes a long.[*]The clause prevents people like the music publishers holding Hollywood to ransom; as keeps happening to the DVD version of some films.[*]The Studio is in a strong position to negotiate with display manufactures and service suppliers, ensuring it gets the 15%.[/list=1]

The definition of artists includes actors, writers, singers, musicians, dances, directors, animators and producers.

A New Display Technology is any method of playing or showing a movie that is not in the SAG 2005 standard contract. So theatre display, tv, satellite, VHS cassette and DVDs are excluded.
    Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by frulad
      They really blew it with Tom and Belanna's baby. They could have done something touching like having Tom hold the baby up to the window, point to Earth and say "There's your home." or words to that effect. Completely wasted opportunity...
      Michael jackson beat them to that...
      "Gold chains and watches, the maggot's got plenty.
      He pinched them from ladies and upset the gentry"

'The Maggot', Goldie Looking Chain

Comment

I would love to know any info about how our "bucks" and letters were received over at Warner Bros. Man, if I were but a fly on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by mslulu
          I would love to know any info about how our "bucks" and letters were received over at Warner Bros. Man, if I were but a fly on the wall.
          You will,in TMoS DVD commentary
          Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1
            You will,in TMoS DVD commentary
            Well, said. ROTFLMAO!!!

Ah, sarcasm is a blistering tool when used properly!!
            Not the One......

Comment

Actually, if it's anything like what happened with CRUSADE, I wouldn't expect to find out even then. Most likely we'll never really fully know what impact we might have had or still have (depending on whether this fight is truly over yet or not).

Hopefully by week's end we'll know a bit more.

CE
              Anthony Flessas
              Writer/Producer/Director,
              SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
                Hopefully by week's end we'll know a bit more.
                But don't count on that. JMS said that the two weeks would be critical, he didn't say anything about being able to come back to us and tell us about it.

Just so nobody's holding their breaths....

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                  But don't count on that. JMS said that the two weeks would be critical, he didn't say anything about being able to come back to us and tell us about it.

Just so nobody's holding their breaths....

Jan
                  That's why I said, "hopefully."

I know that they will have to make some decisions soon, so within a reasonalbe time-frame we should start to get some official word as well. With principle photography set to begin in April, something will have to be said through the official channels.

But, then, they've kept this film quiet and under the radar until now...goodness only knows when any more word will come.

CE
                  Anthony Flessas
                  Writer/Producer/Director,
                  SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Working...
                  X