X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird
    replied
    Originally posted by alex_t
    I've heard a lot of soundtracks by Howard Shore and they are mostly in the same musical "area" (I don't know any better term). He may be capable of making something completely different, but he already established himself in that "area". And when he's invited to make score for some film, it almost automatically means that film producers want exactly *that* kind of score.

That's what I meant, and this is not an offense. I don't think that producers (and other "suites") will take any risk of allowing someone to do something really new.
    But then does that not sum it all up? Exactly who does produce "really new stuff" these days? Answer...No one. By definition, movie music must fit within rather strict constraints...time and timing being just 2 of them.

John Williams, an undisputed master in this regard, a person I take great pleasure in listening to, will still put out pieces that are recognisabley his.

Still, at least you can wistle JW's scores (think JAWS, any Star Wars film, Ind Jones, Superman et al), when was the last time you could say that of.....mmm, how about Danny Ellfman? Can anyone here hum/wistle EITHER of the 2 Spiderman themes, or maybe his HULK theme? The last time Ellfman produced a memorable theme was BATMAN. To my mind still his best piece.

Many people say that the best kind of movie music is the type you don't even notice, it acts sublinimally without you actually 'hearing' it as such. What total and absolute rubbish. Music from film should indeed enhance what you are seeing, true enough. But as a 'character' in itself (as many here correctly state) it should also have a memorable and gripping voice. As an example, what kind of movies would HALLOWEEN and (again) JAWS have been without that killer scores?
    Last edited by Firebird; 02-06-2005, 03:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    The Halo games have wonderful scores.

And please no Chen!

TWT

Leave a comment:

• SoulfireX
    replied
    Well it wouldn't be B5 without Christoper Franke's music so hopefully he will compse the score for the movie. But if not I would like to see Marty O'Donnell do the score, he did the music for the Halo games. It's pretty unlikely but his music fits sci fi and definately has an epic feel.

Leave a comment:

• colonyearth
    replied
    Originally posted by z^3
    I've just flicked through this thread so apologies if this point has been made before...

Devil's Advocate Hat On: 'What's the difference between recasting an actor and replacing a composor (or others behind the scenes who have been there from the beginning)?'

I ask because, to my mind, some of the people we don't see on screen (Franke being one of them) are as important to what B5 is as the actors.

I'd be interested in other peoples' takes on this...
    I am in agreement when it comes to someone like a composer, since a score is like another character and voice in any film.

Franke will most likely be offered the scoring hat. He has scored many features before and is no stranger it.

If not Franke, Brian Tyler, I think has a larger musical voice with some ability to feel very Franke-esque, just listen to his score for Children of Dune...phenominal!

But ultimately, I would suspect that Franke will be offered the job. Although, given what's been going on, god only knows.

CE

Leave a comment:

• z^3
    replied
    I've just flicked through this thread so apologies if this point has been made before...

Devil's Advocate Hat On: 'What's the difference between recasting an actor and replacing a composor (or others behind the scenes who have been there from the beginning)?'

I ask because, to my mind, some of the people we don't see on screen (Franke being one of them) are as important to what B5 is as the actors.

I'd be interested in other peoples' takes on this...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Sanfan wrote:

"Third, Danny Elfman. Two of my favorite scores, Men In Black (the first, not the second) and Spiderman were composed by this guy, and it's just incredible. However, the large brass sections he typically uses..."

That's why I like him. I was a trumpet player for many years. I love strong well played brass music. Believe it or not, I did NOT play in the Ohio State marching band! I got my music degree there though. I had enough of marching for a lifeteime in my four years previous to college playing in U.S. Navy bands.

I sure hope the Galen issue is resolved. If PW isn't available, create a new character for the movie!

Leave a comment:

• JDSValen
    replied
    Franke is the voice of B5. B5 wouldn't have been the show it was without him. Not only were his scores for the show breathtaking, but his score for "Sleeping in Light" is something that rivals most movies.

That being said, I think Even Chen should score this movie. He was the voice of Crusade and, at key moments, his music can be very powerful.

However, I doubt that WB would go for it so, if not Franke, then I'd say James Newton Howard. His stuff is incredible and would fit perfectly with the type of film I think they are going for.

I wouldn't rule out John Frizzell either. He's scored both of Steve Beck's previous films.
    Last edited by JDSValen; 01-26-2005, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sanfam
    replied
    Choosing a composer for a score is so difficult. Each has their own little nuances, little trademark sounds. For a B5 movie, I'd probably go with David Newman as my first choice. He's incredibly adept at creating effective, subtle themes that can be slipped in and out of a scene with ease. Take his score for Galaxy Quest, for example. Dozens of themes, all very smooth, comfortable. And when the pace quickens up, he's able to support it perfectly. He is also flexible, in that he will adopt less conventional musical elements and place them in his work.

Alan Silvestri would be in at a close second. He's pretty well known for his score for Back to the Future, and the rather nice score of Contact. Not much needs to be said here.

Third, Danny Elfman. Two of my favorite scores, Men In Black (the first, not the second) and Spiderman were composed by this guy, and it's just incredible. However, the large brass sections he typically uses are a bit too strong for B5's generally subtle themes. In addition to this, the tone is generally too low to function in conjunction with Franke's existing score well. However, I would be curious to actually see how one of his scores would pan out in a B5 film. It certainly would be a different feel than we're used to.

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Vangelis perhaps? He did do Chariots of Fire and much better than that "Bladerunner"

Or maybe Klaus Schultze is still alive?

Leave a comment:

• Ranger 6 and 7/8
    replied
    Guys,
    I think the choice of composer would probably depend in large part on what type of mood they want to set. Remember when Crusade came out JMS and Franke both agreed that he wouldn't be used because JMS wanted Crusade to be a stand alone with just glimpses of the original B5. So if the movie from what the script seems to indicate will only mention B5 in passing (Lochley's relation to the heroine) and will also use Galen from Crusade, Then maybe Franke will collaborate with another composer. I have both of his B5 compilations and love them both.

I also own several scores and when I hear of a movie i will often purchase the Score first to see that type of mood they are projecting with the film. Often time for me the score will help me drudge through a movie even if it sucks bigtime.. Case in point: Pirates of the Carribean..
    that is my thoughts..hope it helps

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Franke would be the de-facto choice.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with Howard Shore either, other than budget concerns. The man's probably in demand now. Elfman is also good to my ears.

To counter Willie's geek status and place my own in competition, I suggest Yoko Shimomura. Parasite Eve soundtrack, particularly the main themes. Very cinematic stuff. Nothing against Mitsuda, but sometimes he's too celtic for his own good, and I haven't seen him doing anything standout recently.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorManbot
    replied
    This thread leaves me wondering if anybody from the original series will have any involvement in the movie, if it ever does leave pre production. At that point, they might as well call it something else.

Leave a comment:

• alex_t
    replied
    Originally posted by RubberEagle
    His Ed Wood Score sounds quite different, if i remember it correctly, with LotR beeing much bigger, much more present throught the movie(s)).
    I need to watch "Ed Wood" again. Apart from theremin I don't remember anything else from the soundtrack. And theremin wasn't Howard Shore's

Leave a comment:

• RubberEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by alex_t
    I've heard a lot of soundtracks by Howard Shore and they are mostly in the same musical "area" (I don't know any better term). He may be capable of making something completely different, but he already established himself in that "area". And when he's invited to make score for some film, it almost automatically means that film producers want exactly *that* kind of score.

That's what I meant, and this is not an offense. I don't think that producers (and other "suites") will take any risk of allowing someone to do something really new.
    See, with that i have no problem, i do in fact concur My problem was that your post sounded to me like everything Mr. Shore did sounds like LotR. (His Ed Wood Score sounds quite different, if i remember it correctly, with LotR beeing much bigger, much more present throught the movie(s)).

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    I would love to see Evan Chen given another chance. I still say his score for "A Call to Arms" was his best, better than Crusade which I also like very much. Chen's music requires repeated hearings and an open mind to hear his talent.

If not Chen, my suggestion would be Cliff Eidelman. He made an excellent score for Star Trek VI, very dark and well designed for the action on the screen.

I like a full orchestra in film music. Rock bands are always too loud and only a handfull: Cream, Queen, of course, The Beatles, etc. come close to producing a clear thinking score with any form to it. The "wall of sound" is like a brick wall, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X