X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Malloy
    I am a Russophile because I love the culture and identify with it more. I feel very much at home among Russians!
    I am a Russophile because I think that, fundamentally, the nationalities closest to American ways of thinking are the Russians and the French.

We fight, of course, because one always fights with family. But, in the end, the aspirations and dreams of the three peoples are remarkably similar in their content and delusions.

Of course, I will mention Parliament of Dreams here to keep this a B5 post! Love that episode for what it says about the best human ability: to tolerate diversity. The final scene was one of the best things the show ever aired.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Re: Scripts

Originally posted by sftv
    I have the Sleeping in Light Script that Joe sold at ComicCon a couple of years ago.

The one script I have that was used by an actor is Walter Koenig's script for Epiphanies, which has his notes and such in it including a "Naughty Girl" scribbled by one of Lyta's lines.
    I used to have the SiL script but let it go to a fellow fan in the UK who'd never seen a script before. I've never had an actor's script. I'd love to read their notes. Mine are mostly from the Art Dept. and I learned a lot about the level of detail that went into the show from them.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Darth_librarian
    replied
    Re: Scripts

Originally posted by sftv
    I have the Sleeping in Light Script that Joe sold at ComicCon a couple of years ago.

The one script I have that was used by an actor is Walter Koenig's script for Epiphanies, which has his notes and such in it including a "Naughty Girl" scribbled by one of Lyta's lines.

Lee
    I'll have to watch the ep sometime, and see what he was refering to!!!

Leave a comment:

• sftv
    replied
    Scripts

Lee

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Re: Re: It's finally here!

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
    :Raises Glass:
    Congratulations to Jan, the True Seeker! Best of luck on the final leg of your quest!
    Thanks. I think the reason 414 is so hard to find is that it was the episode that Scott Adams of Dilbert fame guest starred in. Heck, if somebody wants to keep an autographed title page, that's fine with me...I just want the danged script!

Jan

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Re: It's finally here!

Originally posted by Jan
    It's here! It's here! the script I've been waiting for since Christmas arrived today. #520 - Wheel of Fire (Actually, it was filmed as 'The Alien Inside') is now in it's pretty blue pressboard covers and ready to take it's place among the rest of the collection.
    :Raises Glass:
    Congratulations to Jan, the True Seeker! Best of luck on the final leg of your quest!
    Last edited by WorkerCaste; 02-08-2005, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    Keep in mind that in the former Soviet Union, ethnic peoples were scattered all over the place. A lot of ethnic Russians ended up in the southern provinces now in turmoil.

I have many Russian friends at my church. The most active family is ethnic Russian, but born in Ukraine. It's funny how historically Ukraine was the cultural birth place of Russia, but now due to western influences (Poland, for one) many people of Ukrainian descent are very nationalistic. Ukrainians resent a connection to Russia. Their language is different too, slightly. On the other hand, the spiritual center of Russian Orthodoxy is the Kievo Pecherskaya Lavra in Kiev.

I fall into the melting pot slot. I don't like it. My mother's family tried to keep their English traditions but my father's Irish/English/Scottish family retained absolutely NO TRACE of their heritage. English folk songs flow in my blood for sure, but discovering the brutality of Brittish Imperialism and the mess the world is in now because of it, I'm not so sure I want to cling to that heritage. I am a Russophile because I love the culture and identify with it more. I feel very much at home among Russians.

What any of the above has to do with B5 escapes me!

Leave a comment:

• vacantlook
    replied
    Ooo.

[tosses confetti into the air]

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    It's finally here!

It's here! It's here! the script I've been waiting for since Christmas arrived today. #520 - Wheel of Fire (Actually, it was filmed as 'The Alien Inside') is now in it's pretty blue pressboard covers and ready to take it's place among the rest of the collection.

One left to find. Just one. I'll find you my presscciiousssssss script....

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum already in progress)
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• I love Lyta
    replied
    Jan wrote:
    "the joke version of ..."

Well, I finally got to see the Crusade Episodes (they never showed them here) and I guess he must have had another humorous phase when he wrote "Visitors from Down the Street".
    I mean X-Files the other way around all with aliens being the suspicious feds, the smoking alien and the female even having red tentacles...

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    It's only here in the US that we tend to lose track.
    Losing Track isn't necessarily a BAD thing.
    History shows us that, most of the time here in the US, it is a GOOD thing.
    America has its ugly ethnic hatred side.
    "Dogs and Irish not welcome" signs once decorated certain neighborhoods.
    Todays gangs have their ancestors in Irish, Puerto Rican, Irish, Slavic, even Jewish street gangs.

Eventually, most of the gangsters died out, ther kids went to college and became respectable.

As the old song says:
    "When you're on Park Avenue, Cornelius and Mike look Alike."

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<It's only here in the US that we tend to lose track.>>

I really don't care about my ancestry. I am American. That's good enough for me. I think it creates a lot of divisiveness when you start talking about what you are. I think my father was Cherokee, Irish and Swedish and my mother's family has been here since the colonial days. But at the end of the day, does any of that really matter? Am I going to go to the bar and sit next to a white dude with brown hair and green eyes and ask him what his ethnic and national lineage are? Nope.

I think the main reason Americans lose track of their lineage is that we tend to get into the "race game" more than the ethnic group game. "I'm white," "I'm black," "I'm Hispanic," "I'm Asian," "I'm Native American."

Plus, a lot of white Americans are so "melted in" that their background becomes watered down, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    then why does JMS refer to himself as part Russian, instead of part Belarusian?
    I would guess that his Ancestry is Russian, no matter where the family was living at the time.
    And I know that people in that part of the world are very conscious of such distinctions.
    As are most other ethnic groups.
    It's only here in the US that we tend to lose track.

I have an acquaintance who is of Russian heritage who was raised mostly in Poland.
    Well, until the Nazis arrived.
    She spent the remainder of her childhood in a Concentration Camp for the "Crime" of being Russian.
    The rest of her family didn't survive.
    Except possibly an older brother.
    He was in Russia when the war started and all records that might tell where he went were destroyed.
    But, during that time, all boys 12 & above in the eastern part of Russia were drafted into the Russian army and sent to fight the Nazis, so his chances of survival were pretty slim.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by rotabilis
    I realize that Belarus was part of the USSR (and probably was during the time his father lived there), but didn't it still have its own separate identity from Russia? Unfortunately I know little of the history of the area.
    Possibly he simplified it for those of us totally unfamiliar with USSR-ian geography. He also didn't mention his mother's origins so maybe that's why the generalization.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• rotabilis
    replied
    Jan quotes JMS saying:

I'm basically one-and-a-half generation American; my father was born ehre of immigrant parents, but lived his formative years back in Byeloruss.
    Interesting. My paternal grandfather came from the same place (which I usually see spelled as Belarus). But if that's so, then why does JMS refer to himself as part Russian, instead of part Belarusian?

I realize that Belarus was part of the USSR (and probably was during the time his father lived there), but didn't it still have its own separate identity from Russia? Unfortunately I know little of the history of the area.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X