TMoS recasting rumor-actions & reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by colonyearth
    [B]Unfortunately, I have learned that the original cast is, in fact, in this film...at least Sheridan and Delenn...and if we believe PJ, then Londo as well.

Wait, what have you learned? I am not quite sure from your wording. Do you mean fortunately they are in the film or unfortunately they are not?

Comment

I think he means the original characters are in. From that, after Pat's comments, the implication would be that the original actors haven't been approached to play them.

Comment

Ohhhh. Thanks, Doktor. I get it now. I mistook use of the word "cast" too =)

Nuts.

Comment

I am also very saddened and dismayed to report that I have given up hope on those over at FirstOnes.com. (Perhaps someone else might have better luck.)

They have now resorted to personal attacks upon me and suggested ones against Jan.

I will not remain in such an atmosphere and have told them I wash my hands of them.
          I followed some of that over there CE and I can't believe the response you guys got. Very odd. They were acting like you were some kind of trolls. I've got seven words for 'em.

GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY!

Someone also expressed the idea that the Telepath War could be a sequel to this film. I had been thinking that for a while myself. It may be that the B5 universe is so complex that you can't bring newbies up to speed in just one film, therefore you set up the universe and hope to tell that story later. Pure speculation of course, although we do know he wants to tell it someday.
          Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Someone also expressed the idea that the Telepath War could be a sequel to this film. I had been thinking that for a while myself. It may be that the B5 universe is so complex that you can't bring newbies up to speed in just one film, therefore you set up the universe and hope to tell that story later. Pure speculation of course, although we do know he wants to tell it someday. [/B]
            I saw somewhere that actors in the Firefly movie had some clause in their contracts outlining that if the film went well they would be called upon for a trilogy.

Assuming TMOS has the correct actors in their roles, I would be thrilled with the possibilities!!!

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
              I am also very saddened and dismayed to report that I have given up hope on those over at FirstOnes.com. (Perhaps someone else might have better luck.)

They have now resorted to personal attacks upon me and suggested ones against Jan.
              Sorry you've been subjected to that, CE. As much as you can, let it roll off you because it's not about the messengers, it's about the message.

I think it may stem in large part at how suddenly this all seemed to happen. Yeah, I was concerned for some time before I posted, but how was anybody else to know that?

That said, I'd like to publicly express how honored I am that so much confidence has been expressed by so many of you.

PS: BTW, if you add the views of this thread and the original "uh-oh" thread, we've broken the 10,000 mark! And that's not counting the massive numbers at so many other sites that I've seen!
              I checked with DougO when the count got so high and he let me know that each page seen will count as a view. Even so, it's really impressive!

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I am proud to be a part of this movement and be associated with the excellent caliber of people within it. I have never been involved with this type of movement before and am glad that I am able to help even in a very very very small way.

Never start a fight but always finish it.
                Joan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                  Funny, I'm already getting tired of 'ancient and extinct Shadow race'. Why not 'vanished' or 'powerful' or something?
                  Your wording would make The Shadows into the villains out for revenge. JMS's words make them part of the scenery.
                  Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth

I will not remain in such an atmosphere and have told them I wash my hands of them.
                    Another newbie to this board...I generally just post to fanfiction sites and am content to lurk here, but I thought this important enough to come out for.

CE, I don't think your efforts at FirstOnes were completely wasted. While a few of the members flamed you, an equal number, I think, were convinced enough to write a letter.

You'll never convince everybody. I'm not completely sold on this myself, but I wrote. A positive message can't hurt and if the information turns out to be wrong...well, I still consider it an hour and 37 cents well spent.

I agree with some of the FirstOnes when they say that there must be proof out there, and I wonder why we haven't heard much from the original cast on this? I'd think their agents would know about the casting sheets, probably they even have them. JMS may be gagged, but they're certainly not - they supposedly haven't been offered contracts, after all. The one cast member who has spoken even obliquely on this, Pat Tallman, didn't really provide any more info than we already knew. If they aren't interested enough in reprising their roles to speak on their own behalves...to energize their own fans...then why should we be? It's just a concern on my part, but it is puzzling.

It also occurs to me that this whole mess could be a very clever publicity ploy, and that WB has no intention of recasting at all. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but what better way to preheat TMoS's potential audience than by starting a persistant negative rumor, generate a fan outcry and then seem to backpedal? They have then invested the fan base in the movie and virtually assured that we'll do a lot of their marketing for them.

At any rate, I put out the information about possible casting changes on Jumpnow.de - one of the few remaining active B5 fanfic sites - so you're hitting that fan niche also. Like I said, I'm not totally convinced about any of this...but positive messages can't hurt.

V/R
                    John
                    Last edited by JPH3; 12-16-2004, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Hi, John, and welcome to the board.

I agree with some of the FirstOnes when they say that there must be proof out there, and I wonder why we haven't heard much from the original cast on this? I'd think their agents would know about the casting sheets, probably they even have them. JMS may be gagged, but they're certainly not - they supposedly haven't been offered contracts, after all. The one cast member who has spoken even obliquely on this, Pat Tallman, didn't really provide any more info than we already knew. If they aren't interested enough in reprising their roles to speak on their own behalves...to energize their own fans...then why should we be? It's just a concern on my part, but it is puzzling.
                      It would be very bad form for the cast to say anything at all at this point, whether or not they've been contacted. If they have any chance whatsoever of getting their roles back, it would severely jeopardize their position to start talking about sensitive, private negotations in fan venues.

It's not that they're not interested. It's that it would not be in their interest to start making all sorts of 'sour grapes' noises at this point. If an actor gives even a hint that they're difficult to work with, in almost every case (except the largest box office superstars), the studio would opt for replacement.

So to any who are reading and thinking this way: this isn't a good reason to not write a letter, if this is what's been on your mind!

Thanks again to all for your great and enthusiastic efforts!

Amy

Comment

Thank you, John, and it's nice to know that some people have open minds. As I've stated, convinced or no, positive support for the cast and keeping them in place can never hurt. There is nothing to loose.

I have posted again over at FirstOnes.com...hopefully at least the flaming will come to an end.

I've only ever had the best interest of the cast, JMS, B5 in general and the fans at heart. My role is not meant to seek praise. I don't want it, don't need it. As long as I know my cast, the cast I so loved for 5 years, gets their chance to shine, I'm happy.

CE

PS: Thanks Amy for making that point...I was going to but you beat me to it.
                        Anthony Flessas
                        Writer/Producer/Director,
                        SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Telemachos
                          But even more to the point, we're dealing with a huge pile of rumors and semi-rumors here. NOTHING is confirmed, either for good or ill. We will know more, at some point, and then will be better able to direct our anger (or thanks) more constructively.

But hey, don't let me stop you....
                          Sure, but why did you keep trying to stop us?
                          Sending a polite letter does no harm, in fact it makes WB aware of the fan interest in the movie and our appreciation for the original actors.

The problem is that by the time this is confirmed the roles will be (re)cast already. Neither the actors nor JMS can comment anything until there's an official announcement due to film business politics. But they could deny untrue rumors, as they have done in the past, and they haven't...

Many hints indicate that Peter Woodward may not be available, most of us have shown a willingness to accept Galen's part being recast if that is the case, we are hardly a rabid bunch. It is our true concern that, not because of scheduling problems or lack of interest from the actors, but due to a decision by the suits at WB, Bruce Boxleitner will be replaced in the role of Sheridan, and/or that Mira Furlan will be replaced in TMoS, or that other characters we love will not be played by the actors that defined those roles and made them so memorable.
                          You know what: if they replace the original cast it will be the shadows of our memories playing the characters in the memory of shadows.

There's no one advocating for rabid fanboy/fangirl letters, in fact many of us are actually asking that no one mentions boycotting the movie nor put any other threats in their letters.
                          We are asking for a very civil and polite campaign that shows our support for the movie, and our support for the original cast to reprise their roles if those characters are in the script, while also showing concern that the parts may be recast.

Yes, it's rumors, but rumors confirmed independently by people with contacts in the film industry, people that have shown themselves to be trustworthy dedicated B5 fans here and in other online communities. I have no reason to doubt them when they say there is cause for concern, and if you don't trust them as me and others do at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Please everyone consider this: sending a letter not only does no harm but it does help B5:TMoS becoming a reality.

If the rumors are false and no recasting is being considered you have helped to show the WB that the fans will support the movie and the reappearance of the original cast.
                          If the rumors are true you have still shown the fanbase interest in the movie and would have played a part in helping the WB reconsider having the original cast reprise their roles.

I would still be proud of sending a letter even if this is just a publicity stunt (which I sincerely doubt, I believe those that say there's cause for concern). Remember that B5 is not as popular as other sci-fi properties, B5 does need publicity to succeed.
                          Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                          James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by JPH3
                            It also occurs to me that this whole mess could be a very clever publicity ploy, and that WB has no intention of recasting at all. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but what better way to preheat TMoS's potential audience than by starting a persistant negative rumor, generate a fan outcry and then seem to backpedal? They have then invested the fan base in the movie and virtually assured that we'll do a lot of their marketing for them.
                            This has come up a couple of times, but it seems to me that publicity ploys are best applied after an official announcement has been made. You get a broader audience then.
                            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Something to remember:

The tale of the uncasting of Pat Tallman for season 1 of B5.
                              Where the studios made an offer she had to refuse to make sure she wouldn't be in the series (can't remember where I read that though I know it's online).

This wouldn't be the first time someone at WB messes with the show producer/creator/script-writer desires for an actor to have a role. In that case it led to a new character being created and by serendipity to the return of Pat Tallman later on.

In the case of TMoS it's too late for JMS to re-write the script again to replace characters instead of having them recast, and frankly a B5 movie without anyone from the B5 and Crusade series would be a major disappointment for the fans.
                              JMS already seems to have compromised with the studio by creating several new starring roles where they can cast whoever they want, there's no need to have new actors play the characters we love.
                              Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                              James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

I personally don't care if they use bigger name actors. I just don't want those bigger name actors to replace the original characters. If they want to use the bigger names for different characters in the movie then more power to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X