No announcement yet.

TMoS recasting rumor-actions & reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, CATWOMAN got horrendous reviews and was completely (and rightfully) written off by the furious fans.

But, here are some facts behind all the buzz about it being a "bomb":

- It made $40 mil domestic and around the same overseas. WB got probably around $45-50 million of that take. It'll do well on pay-per-view and network sales, and WB will turn a profit on the whole venture during the DVD/video release. In that respect, CATWOMAN is like a lot of studio releases that aren't blockbusters.

If WB had kept the costs down a bit, they could've gotten an even better return.

Quality? If it turns a profit, they're happy.

Of course, we all hope that Warners sees B5 as something more -- and gives JMS the ability and freedom to create something more -- but very, very few studio guys are gonna care about quality over $$.

Comment

If you want a worse example try Thunderbirds.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3593664.stm

"The live-action remake of the Gerry Anderson TV puppet series has taken a relatively low worldwide total of about $21m (ú11m). It cost $42m (ú22m)."

and

"He said it may have failed because audiences who remembered the TV series were too old to watch a children's version."

As distinct from the family film I was looking forward to.

A thing to remember with Sci-Fi is that grownups watch as well as children.

Now if a fax or scan of one of the casting sheets would just turn up in a fanÆs in tray. Possibly from [email protected]
      This will trigger the letter writing campaign that Jan and CE have worked so hard to prime.
      Andrew Swallow

Comment

I just found this on the forum at spacecast.com up here in Canada. It gives an almost complete breakdown of the "new" roles to be cast. I haven't seen this anywhere else but if it has been already mentioned I apologize for the duplication. Very interesting article though.

http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/...hp?Article=754
        Joan

Comment

Originally posted by babylon1122
          I just found this on the forum at spacecast.com up here in Canada. It gives an almost complete breakdown of the "new" roles to be cast. I haven't seen this anywhere else but if it has been already mentioned I apologize for the duplication. Very interesting article though.

Interesting. Hollywood North Report is a relatively new site, but has scored some spot-on scoops in the past.

Should we send them an email with an update about what's been going on? If they've been able to score this info, they might be able to offer further confirmation for the doubting Thomases.

I could alter the AICN letter a bit.
          Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

1. Great story.

2. The only original character description in that list is Galen and his actor is believed to be working on a second film. So all would need casting. We still do not have the proof.
            Andrew Swallow

Comment

I am relatively new to all of this so I might not be the one to ask. IMHO I don't see the harm. Plus it could help the cause.
              Joan

Comment

Action Geezers to the rescue????

Aw crap!

In posting on my own forums I just realized that for those suit-mandated B5 movie action sequences requiring the fist fights, gun battles, energy balls flying and kiss-kiss stuff you need younger blood.

So our Action B5 Geezers(in the eyes of TPTB) to the rescue couldn't be front and center for that.

Aw crap!

If we can't get them in the BIG MOVIE, then maybe they could do some more made-for-tv stuff with the original cast sometime?

Letters are written, BTW.
                DDC2000
                Vorlon From ISNNEWS.NET
                Last edited by DDC2000; 12-15-2004, 07:47 PM.
                Visitor from another time-space-distortion-anomaly...

Comment

Originally posted by babylon1122

Well, it's certainly more the kind of article that I've been expecting, particularly the last paragraph. Unfortunately, the only names that mean anything to me are Doug Netter and JMS.

Funny, I'm already getting tired of 'ancient and extinct Shadow race'. Why not 'vanished' or 'powerful' or something?

Thanks Babylon 1122.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Re: Action Geezers to the rescue????

Originally posted by DDC2000
                    Aw crap!

In posting on my own forums I just realized that for those suit-mandated B5 movie action sequences requiring the fist fights, gun battles, energy balls flying and kiss-kiss stuff you need younger blood.

So our Action B5 Geezers(in the eyes of TPTB) to the rescue couldn't be front and center for that.

Aw crap!

If we can't get them in the BIG MOVIE, then maybe they could do some more made-for-tv stuff with the original cast sometime?

Letters are written, BTW.
                    Funny.... this wasn't an issue when the Star Trek movies were made, with all of the original ST "geezers" front and center. They were even brought back for FIVE sequels. And Star Trek had been off the air for a lot longer before the first film than B5 has at this point.
                    Peace be with you,
                    Michael Rubinstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                      Well, it's certainly more the kind of article that I've been expecting, particularly the last paragraph. Unfortunately, the only names that mean anything to me are Doug Netter and JMS.

Funny, I'm already getting tired of 'ancient and extinct Shadow race'. Why not 'vanished' or 'powerful' or something?

Thanks Babylon 1122.

Jan
                      It does sound potentially entertaining. It would be nice to see the station, Starfuries, the Shadows, and the Technomages given the big-budget treatment. And Galen is an appealing character. If it serves to tantalize new viewers into checking out the original series, then it's a winner.

Of course, the icing on the cake would be if those same newbies could be given a taste (and we could be given an extra dose) of:

- Ivanova's deadpan wit
                      - Kosh's inscrutability, penchant for riddles, and subtle compassion
                      - G'kar's gravitas, eloquence, passion, and sex appeal
                      - Londo's incomparable Londo-ness
                      - Vir's under-estimated nobility and similarity to Samwise Gamgee
                      - Bester being the supremely cool Anti-Chekov

That's MY wish list, anyway...

Oh, and maybe Garibaldi could punch out Bruce Willis.

Still, this isn't the way I wanted to find out about the film. Something must be seriously messed up for all these rumors/tidbits to be flying and JMS so completely mum about it all.
                      Peace be with you,
                      Michael Rubinstein

Comment

Movie could lead to game

Maybe the best thing about a B5 film is that we might finally get the B5 space sim game that we should have gotten years ago...
                        Peace be with you,
                        Michael Rubinstein

Comment

"To protect a group of diplomats" is the key phrase to note here. Much like LotR, I see the diplomats being Sheridan, Delenn and perhaps even G'Kar and Londo.

I do find it fascinating that none of the original cast are even mentioned except Lochley. I know that JMS is not married to one cast or tale within his vastly, massively detailed universe...just look at both Crusade and LotR for that fact.

I see this as a retelling of Crusade with elements of what LotR was to be and could've truly been. I just hope that the original cast has their important roles to play and are played by the actors who made them important in the first place.

I will also state this without doubt...the wording in the character descriptions is pure JMS, so whoever leaked this, they leaked JMS's write-ups.

Given that our main cast would seem to be only parts in this not the main thrust, I find it even more appalling that WB and TPTB would even consider recasting them.

The main roles of Baker, Galen, Joss, and Tyrell (wasn't he in the Techno-mage books?) are the ones to cast more well known actors in...or more "film-like" names at least. Leave the original cast alone.

I say again, I only hope the original cast plays an important role in this. Someone mentioned somewhere here I think that Sheridan made the point of stating in ACtA that they had run into leftover Shadow Tech before and had always gotten their butts kicked. This could well be that tale. It wouldn't surprise me...which would set it around the time of the Teep War or very shortly afterward...even a chance for Bester to play a cameo, and even a chance to set up the Teep War as a sequel very subtly, which would then bring the main cast into the fold much stronger in a second film.

Time will tell.

CE
                          Anthony Flessas
                          Writer/Producer/Director,
                          SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

http://www.keepb5alive.com/ has been viewed 4.356 times as of 1:15 am PST today. Thanks, SciFiRanger, for keeping the tally and for linking to this new thread.

Originally posted by colonyearth
                            "To protect a group of diplomats" is the key phrase to note here. Much like LotR, I see the diplomats being Sheridan, Delenn and perhaps even G'Kar and Londo.
                            I wonder what brings that group to the station. As you said, that's the opportunity I see for the original cast and that reason might dovetail somehow with the Diane/Galen/Tyrell story.

Or not. It's all speculation. I agree that the descriptions seem to sound more like JMS.

Jan
                            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

It has been said before but I want to make it absolutely clear :

I have nothing against a B5-adventure without the old cast. I just don't want to see those 'veteran-characters' played by other actors. If the movie turns out to be set years later in time and the former main characters are not needed for the movie then I would be at peace with that if JMS is satisfied.

I personally think that it is very important that people who agree with this observation make it very clear to WB and the rest of the world.

I do not only object to the re-casting so much as to the fact that apparently they are fucking about with Joe's work again.

When will they finally learn he does not work that way?
                              "En wat als tijd de helft van echtheid was, was alles dan dubbelsnel verbaal?"

Comment

Unfortunately, I have learned that the original cast is, in fact, in this film...at least Sheridan and Delenn...and if we believe PJ, then Londo as well.

I am also very saddened and dismayed to report that I have given up hope on those over at FirstOnes.com. (Perhaps someone else might have better luck.)

They have now resorted to personal attacks upon me and suggested ones against Jan.

I will not remain in such an atmosphere and have told them I wash my hands of them.

I would rather continue to go places where I can hopefully make a difference in this matter.

I have been so impressed with the response of the fans and their outpouring of support for the main cast and JMS. It has done my heart such good to see everyone banding together. Sadly, those at FirstOnes.com refuse to even come here or B5tv and verify or see what other fans are saying and doing. They have effectively closed themselves off from those of us, the majority of us, who are fighting to make sure our cast remains and that TMoS is the best film it can be.

Towelmaster, I can assure you that JMS would not set this so that the cast wouldn't have their moment.

While I am saddened by FirstOnes.com...I am continually encouraged by those of you here and around the rest of the web and at b5tv...such a wonderful show of love and support.

I am moved...you should all be very proud.

CE

PS: BTW, if you add the views of this thread and the original "uh-oh" thread, we've broken the 10,000 mark! And that's not counting the massive numbers at so many other sites that I've seen!

Be proud! Be very proud!
                                colonyearth
                                Confirmed User
                                Last edited by colonyearth; 12-16-2004, 06:02 AM.
                                Anthony Flessas
                                Writer/Producer/Director,
                                SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Working...
                                X