TMoS recasting rumor-actions & reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Well known and respected fans" it is.

And a "c" has been added to JMS' names. (No wonder he always just uses his initials! )
    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Do you guys trust JMS? Is he the sort to casually sell-out his baby by completely re-casting?

No.

In fact, he's shown himself to be exactly the opposite. Let him do what he needs to do. If he felt that WB was screwing him over completely, if he felt a fan campaign would help, he'd say so.

Time and again, he's been straight up with the fans and shown that he's capable of walking away and stopping a project rather than be jerked around.

I'd say people owe him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Telemachos
        Time and again, he's been straight up with the fans and shown that he's capable of walking away and stopping a project rather than be jerked around.
        Exactly. We *really* don't want him to walk away from it.

Can you think of any harm that could come from us simply thanking WB for considering the project and voicing our support for the original cast? JMS has spent years online showing us the workings of the business so we can ask for the entertainment we want.

In JMS I trust. In WB I don't.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by MulderLestatBlk
          Go make some noise over here:
          http://www.b5mods.com/

My brother is sending me a bunch of gaming webpages, the one community we need to get to, is the gamers. There are some hardcore fans in there. (Hardcore enough to make videogame mods...which is alot of work.) There are some more webpages out there and he is going to send them to me.

P.S. That's a wonderful letter! Much better then I would have done!
          I put up some info at www.teamxbox.com in the Off Topic area, in case you were considering putting something there.
          "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future, and it changed us..."

Comment

No wonder he always just uses his initials!
            I find it rather fun reading about jms talking about his name.

So you work your way up...just the one initial, J, then Michael, two syllables, then you let fly with Straczynski. Thnk of it as a train, receding into the distance, ten thousand letters, no vowels....
            Source

One person on the crew kept calling me Mr. Straczynski, which you should try saying out loud sometime. Even *I* can't do it. It was so painful to listen to that after a while I kept calling back "Joe" at him until he got the message.
            Source

And then there's this freaky one of someone having numerically analyzed jms's name and found a whole lot 3s.

Comment

Let him do what he needs to do. If he felt that WB was screwing him over completely, if he felt a fan campaign would help, he'd say so.
              And what if there isn't anything he can do if TPTB and WB execs are making the progression contingent on a lack of reaction from fans at the idea of recasting? I can't see how there's much he can do to counter TPTB other than continuously saying, "No." But if TPTB are making it a competition of sorts as to who better understand what the fans want, our reactions then are very important. Meanwhile, putting the fact that without the project being technically officially announced by Warner Bros and that most likely tying jms's hands as to exactly how much he can say at this point, consider the concept that if jms flat out asked for a campaign, TPTB would then just say that the only reason fans are having an issue is because jms told us to have an issue with it and that we're not having an issue with out out of really having an issue with it.

Comment

Guys, do what you feel will help (and will help you stay sane) -- but historically studios (and WB specifically) have shown little care or concern for fan-orchestrated campaigns.

If there is some sort of hang-up or tussle between JMS and WB, a campaign will do little or nothing.

But even more to the point, we're dealing with a huge pile of rumors and semi-rumors here. NOTHING is confirmed, either for good or ill. We will know more, at some point, and then will be better able to direct our anger (or thanks) more constructively.

But hey, don't let me stop you....

Comment

Originally posted by MulderLestatBlk
                  Go make some noise over here:
                  http://www.b5mods.com/

My brother is sending me a bunch of gaming webpages, the one community we need to get to, is the gamers. There are some hardcore fans in there. (Hardcore enough to make videogame mods...which is alot of work.) There are some more webpages out there and he is going to send them to me.

P.S. That's a wonderful letter! Much better then I would have done!
                  I've got a thread going in the StarWarsGalaxies forums and it's now picking up steam!
                  Only game owners can post there but if there are any, please comment there.

Comment

Originally posted by Telemachos
                    Guys, do what you feel will help (and will help you stay sane) -- but historically studios (and WB specifically) have shown little care or concern for fan-orchestrated campaigns.

If there is some sort of hang-up or tussle between JMS and WB, a campaign will do little or nothing.

But even more to the point, we're dealing with a huge pile of rumors and semi-rumors here. NOTHING is confirmed, either for good or ill. We will know more, at some point, and then will be better able to direct our anger (or thanks) more constructively.

But hey, don't let me stop you....
                    So, by your own reasoning a campaign won't actually hurt. Indeed, you say that it might "do little".

Consider the following: if we do nothing and the rumours are true then we likely lose the film or the original cast. If we do something and the rumours are true then, by your logic, we have a chance (albeit "little" by your reasoning) of persuading TPTB to keep the original cast in TMoS.

It boils down to doing nothing with no chance of a result, or doing something and allowing for the possibility of change.

I know which one I'd rather...

Comment

My random 0.02, alot of actors say, keep writing. Tell them what you think...

^_- Cause every little bit helps. And the internet has become a good source of information for companies, such as the WB. It has become such a source, that WB has started planting stuff all over the net, and they did it, with Superman, which caused a big bunch of complaints, and then WB coming out and saying, it was only an idea! *backtrack* And then they dropped it.

Let your voice be heard. If you don't tell them what you think, they are going to keep thinking they can go around ruining franchises. And sadly with Catwoman, they posted plants, and with three or four other films, a couple teen flicks, they go in looking like fans, posting about movies, very funny when fans spot one...etc. I have seen WB do this so much, it's actually becoming FUNNY that they think no one notices!

They've hit Coming Attractions, Cinescape, CHUD, Ain't It Cool News...I'm an internet movie freak and find it entertaining to spot a plant and start asking questions...They sound like someone posing to be a fan...very funny. (It's just so fake.)
                      Last edited by MulderLestatBlk; 12-15-2004, 03:21 PM.
                      The most obvious, yet often overlooked medium for transmitting the message: http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/signs.shtml

Comment

Well, there's always the possibility that a fan campaign might screw up whatever JMS and WB are trying to work out.... "little" possibility of that happening too.

Here's what happens with fan letters: they're dumped off on some WB PR flunky or junior exec. If WB doesn't realize it has a big fanbase that's excited about a possible (and JMS-approved) movie, then some kvetching by fans isn't going to change their minds.

It comes down to money, as always.

But, like I said, please: if it makes you feel pro-active, by all means, go for it! But also please be realistic about how deals go down in Hollywood.

Comment

Additionally, if indeed TPTB are putting up the argument to jms that they can recast roles and we fans won't care, by our speaking out that we want to see the original actors of those roles in a movie, we weaken their argument. If the basis of the argument of TPTB is about us fans, then we in a fan-campaign are a factor.

If WB doesn't realize it has a big fanbase that's excited about a possible (and JMS-approved) movie, then some kvetching by fans isn't going to change their minds.

It comes down to money, as always.
                          It does come down to money = the money they've made on us fans buying Babylon 5 DVD sets. That gave weight to the go-ahead for a feature film. If the mass of DVDs sold doesn't cause WB to realize the big fanbase, they're flat-out not paying attention to their own business.
                          Last edited by vacantlook; 12-15-2004, 03:29 PM.

Comment

It's JMS' characters -- do you think if WB told him fans wouldn't care that (a) he would believe them or (b) he would care? It's *HIS* characters that are being screwed with (allegedly).

Here's a sad fact: CATWOMAN will make money. If WB makes the (terrible) decision to re-cast B5 and make the film anyway, there will be outcry from the fan community, the film may well suck beyond all belief.... and if WB is frugal, they'll turn a profit in the end.

Vocal internet fans are a small percentage of fans, who are themselves a small percentage of overall genre fans, who are themselves a small(er) percentage of the casual movie-going audience. If WB is excited and in tune with 'net fans (as JMS has been) that's a great thing. But they do not need to do so in order to make a film (sad, but true).

There is *SO* much misinformation, disinformation, and other rumors floating around. Would you choose to act on them blindly?

Apparently so.

Comment

Erm, Catwoman has already been written off as a loss, a big belly flop...and it got loads of bad vibes off the net. The company that made the game for Catwoman, went out of buisness! Catwoman killed the company. They went for broke! There have been articles about how the internet has killed some films over night. Alexander tanked after it got loads of bad reviews online...and early test screenings posted online, were mostly negative. Gigli? Anyone? You'd be suprised how many people visit these online movie pages. And how it effects the production of a film. I have seen the *internet* effect more movies in production then you think. CHUD.com alone gets tons of hits a day. So does, The One Ring.net, and Ain't It Cool News, and Dark Horizons. Movie Studios are using the internet now as a free marketing tool. They just don't want to admit it, in anyway whatsoever.

^_- Show your support for what you want. What's the harm in that?
                              Last edited by MulderLestatBlk; 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM.
                              The most obvious, yet often overlooked medium for transmitting the message: http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/signs.shtml

Comment

Telemachos has used the following phrasing:
                                bunch of screaming rabid fans
                                then some kvetching by fans
                                Do you think that any of us who are advocating the writing of letters think fans should be writing things that sound like immature online snerts? There are mature ways to write that wouldn't be able to be classified as rabid or kvetched, and that's what's being advocated.

It's JMS' characters -- do you think if WB told him fans wouldn't care that (a) he would believe them or (b) he would care? It's *HIS* characters that are being screwed with (allegedly).
                                No one has yet said anything about jms himself believing that the fans won't care about what actors portray the characters. No one. Our target isn't jms. We know he wouldn't think we don't care. The WB folks on the other had are a different people entirely. Just because jms knows we'd care about the actors doesn't mean that the WB is going to go with what he knows about the fans. They're suits. They always think they know more about the audience than artists do. They're in the business after all. Artists are just the people that they use to get a product to sell.

Vocal internet fans are a small percentage of fans, who are themselves a small percentage of overall genre fans, who are themselves a small(er) percentage of the casual movie-going audience. If WB is excited and in tune with 'net fans (as JMS has been) that's a great thing.
                                Which is why we're advocating taking this off the internet. Actual physical letters sent through the post to the suits means more than just some discruntled individuals posting on the internet. For every letter they receive, they can extrapolate that there are a certain degree of other real people out there that didn't send in a letter that have the same opinions. Hell, they probably even have a full-on formula that they can use to computate how many people one single letter represents similarly to how Nielsen can take 5000 people with boxes attached to their tvs and extrapolate to millions of viewers.

Would you choose to act on them blindly?

Apparently so.
                                Blind? Hardly. There have been several people I've communicated with for quite some time now that have independently heard the same thing from various sources of their own in the industry. I trust those people to not be pulling my leg because of the history they have.

Adding that to jms's having posted plenty on the newsgroup lately but having completely avoided debunking this despite its being discussed there in that newsgroup says a lot to me.

Mirky, but not blind.

Comment

Working...
                                X