TMoS recasting rumor-actions & reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
    I have found the following information. A Babylon 5 film would have mostly US leading actors making it a non-British film.

TAX RELIEF FOR THE PRODUCTION OF LOW BUDGET BRITISH FILMS

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/ctsa...lief-films.pdf

Low is less than 20 million pounds

The UK GovernmentÆs definition of a British film.
    http://www.culture.gov.uk/creative_i...itishfilms.htm
    Interesting, but I'd make two points which should be considered:

1. Is anyone positive that TMoS is actually a 'British' Film (as opposed to an American film being shot in Britain)? (There is, as Andrew has pointed out, a difference in tax terms).

2. The 70% labour cost rule appears to me, initially at least, to ensure that a foreign company doesn't come in, complete with crew and staff, and claim tax breaks. In a situation like this, inward investment would be generally be gained by having local crew working on the movie, being paid and injecting that cash into the economy.

Moreover, the cheaper the primary actors are, the lower their proportion of overall labour costs. If, say, this was 29% of costs by using relatively cheap, American TV actors instead of 61% of costs by using expensive name stars (figures are guesstimates used for comparison), the film would still qualify as British and for tax breaks.

Therefore it would be highly illogical to aim for a British movie (with tax breaks) but also to replace the relatively cheap TV cast with star names.

(It did cross my mind that perhaps the rumors have been confused and that recasting with star names has been confused with British names, however all the indications we have seen (including the casting websites) have been a) American and b) specified "star" explicitly).

Long story short: this situation would have been identified, analysed and resolved in the lead-up to the move to Britain. In my opinion, this isn't this issue.

Comment

• More groups in Spain...

Hi Jan and all! It's the first time I participate, although I've been reading through all the news in the site!

In Spain there is one group of supporters of B5: Estrella Negra (translated= blackstar)... and we are following the news of the recasting and the film in general .... be sure we are doing our best to support the B5 cast!!!!

â”´ngeles

Comment

• I posted this over at the other thread but I'll double post here so all see it!

Here are two addresses for Winchester Films which is the UK Production House attached to TMoS.

Let's get those letters going to them...they're the ones who need to hear from us. Also, there are fax numbers to both offices...I was thinking that a good number of instant fax letters wouldn't hurt.

In the UK:

Winchester Entertainment
        19 Heddon Street
        London
        W1B 4BG
        United Kingdom

Tel: 0207 851 6500
        Fax: 0207 851 6505

And in the US:

Winchester Entertainment
        701 Santa Monica Blvd.
        Suite 230
        Santa Monica CA 90401
        USA

Tel: +001 310 395 4800
        Fax: +001 310 395 8578

Let's get those letters going again, folks! There little time and lots to do!

CE
        Anthony Flessas
        Writer/Producer/Director,
        SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

• Re-casting

I'm new to this board and can't post often.

I've enjoyed and agree with all your comments and sentiments. The B5 virtual community is yet another of the Great Maker's creations.

So I hate saying this, but:

If they can re-cast James Bond as someone other than Sean Connery -
          if they can re-cast the Phantom as someone other than Michael Crawford -
          they can re-cast John and Delenn.

I don't like it either - Mira's skills are what got me hooked in the first place - but I think that's the way the business runs.

Perspective: The B5 story is so timeless and the themes so important, that 100 years from now (long after Bruce and Mira have passed) the entertainment industry will be re-making these stories in the popular format of the day, just like Phantom and Les Misearbles have been adapted.

The ideals of B5 that inspire us are bigger than any cast or genre. Much as we'd like to constrict them, it's in freeing them that their power is released. (I'm picturing the power released when Kosh died - the real Kosh.)

It does all come down to those Vorlons, doesn't it?

"Some must be sacrificed for all to be saved."

(Hoping I'm wrong, but trusting JMS.)

Comment

• Re: Re-casting

Originally posted by neo-nonconformist

I don't like it either - Mira's skills are what got me hooked in the first place - but I think that's the way the business runs.
            Welcome to the board! Always glad to have another perspective. It's true that they can make the changes, but should they is another question. The changes you mention did work, but I think they are different situations. In the case of James Bond, the movies are organized in a very episodic way. There are clear lines of demarcation between the individual stories. That made it easier to change Bond, James Bond, not once, but several times. You'll note, though, that much more changed than just the leading man. The interpretation of the character by the leading man caused a change in the tone and atmosphere of the movies. The interpretations themselves were greatly different. I think such a change would be much more harmful in the case of the B5 characters. The continuity and continuation of story lines help make B5 what it is. Also, audiences generally experience the characters in a series of movies infrequently over a much greater length of time. TV allows viewers to form a much greater degree of familiarity and attachment.

With Phantom, you're dealing with a very different medium. First, you have to change cast because no one can do the same thing 6 or more times a week for, well, forever. Also, any given audience member is likely to only experience one Phantom in his or her viewing, or they might expereince two widely seperated by time. Add to that the fact that stage is a less intimate experience. Small details are lost, and the drama must be much broader to reach the audience. In that environment, changes in interpretations are often less dramatic.

IMO, changing actors when the core viewing audience has become so familiar with the existing actors is a much riskier proposition than changing in a series of movies or a play.

Just food for thought.
            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

• Re: Re-casting

Originally posted by neo-nonconformist
              I don't think anyone is arguing that "they" cannot recast the TV series actors, just that they would be foolish to do so.
              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

• Well I think it a mute point I have no worries the JMS will walk if they try to change the actors, and I would fully support him if WB forced him to walk away.
                The avalanche has already begun it is to late for the pebbles to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by The One to come
                  Well I think it a mute point ...
                  moot

And you iconize yourself as a Vorlon!

...must one of those rebelious Vorlons.....
                  Mac Breck (KoshN)
                  ------------------
                  Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                  JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                  Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

• Originally posted by KoshN
                    moot

And you iconize yourself as a Vorlon!

...must one of those rebelious Vorlons.....
                    Well you know those pesky Vorlons and the things they say....
                    http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                    Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                    47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

• I just realized today, that it was a little over a year ago we first got hints from JMS that a big announcement would happen, in just a few more weeks...months...?

Now we've been on pins and needles for the past however many weeks because immediately after getting very good news about the film and production dates, etc., we got sickening news of re-casting - at least of Galen.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I check the lists several times a day looking for any word.

Fan? Fanatic?

I must say after watching Crusade on DVD at least three times since I received it, I really like ALL of the characters.
                      Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
                      Kosovo: 1999, 2004
                      New York City: September 11, 2001
                      Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
                      Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
                      http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

• Remember....

I have been a _very_ long-time lurker and I have enjoyed all the intrigue and excitement that JMS has generated over the past months.

With all the deliberations, doubts, and debates over what-is-to-come; I find I have one thought repeating over & over in my mind.

"I will miss this place when it is gone."

I am honoured to have been here when this dream was built, I will continue to honour its legacy as the existing paradigm tries to corrupt what it doesn't understand.

Remember the spirit with which B5 was created; What is built endures.

JMS has built a future for us. A future that allows us to demand more from our entertainment. A future that caters not to "lowest-common-denominator mass-market-fluff" but to intelligent, thoughtful, and inspired art.

The completion of the B5 story has left us with a vacuum. Nature abhors a vacuum, so be confident that there will be something that will fill it's place, grow, and be nutured by the fertile soil that has been left.

TMoS may not be what we hope, but it is what we will get. Reward the corporations that honour us, be confident that what is old and fails to adapt will sentence itself to extinction.
                        http://www.danasoft.com/sig/o2kewl-sig.jpg

Comment

• Re: Re: Action Geezers to the rescue????

Originally posted by rotabilis
                          Funny.... this wasn't an issue when the Star Trek movies were made, with all of the original ST "geezers" front and center. They were even brought back for FIVE sequels. And Star Trek had been off the air for a lot longer before the first film than B5 has at this point.
                          My thoughts exactly. In fact, I was of the right age at the time of the theatrical releases of Star Trek, I guess, to really relate more to the grizzled and ponchy cast on film than their younger and less charming 60's incarnations.

However, as far as B5 is concerned, I am not yet on board with the concept that we will see nothing of our beloved characters in TMoS.

At worst, I am in the denial stage maybe, saving the anger stage for later when I know for certain that jms has lost the control of this production he so rightly deserves. This assumes his script includes the original cast at all. His five year story is complete, so he may in fact intend to focus on a new cast. Who knows?

One thing is certain for me: plots and casting news always come out early for fan-frenzied film-favorites. Heck, we haven't even reached production yet and speculation is at a phenominal high.

For now, faith manages.

Comment

• The following link Looks real, but it provides almost NO Info.

It is, apparnetly, a site where Actors can post their E-Mail addresses in hopes that someone will reply with more specific info about the movie.
                            It doesn't give any more info than we already have.
                            So, if you're willing to lie about being an Actor, you could go fishing...

Space Movie Info

A sci-fi film now casting for April 2005. Directed by Steven Beck.

The Memory of Shadows , an upcoming science-fiction space film, is now casting major roles for production this April.

This film is about a giant space station in the future, where the evil technology of the ancient "Shadow Race" is being unleashed upon the galaxy by an unknown force. Earthforce intelligence officer Diane Baker sets out to discover who is behind this conspiracy.

It is being produced by Alain Gottesman, and directed by Steven Beck. Production begins this spring.

Click Here For More Info
                            And that's it.
                            Except for the screen that allows you to enter your Name & E-Mail address.

Comment

• I can't spell so hang me :P

Does that take away from what I said??.......

Man now every ones going to think I'm a dunc, I sware I'm in university... really!!
                              The avalanche has already begun it is to late for the pebbles to vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakana

Space Movie Info

And that's it.
                                Except for the screen that allows you to enter your Name & E-Mail address.
                                Is there any more information?

Alternatively do they want a link to more information about Babylon 5?
                                Andrew Swallow

Comment

Working...
                                X