No announcement yet.

TMoS recasting rumor-actions & reactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS told the story of the guy who listened to gkars speeches while fighting cancer at comicon. I think there alot of people who this show helped over the years. Kind of like how star trek did the same thing in the 60's

Thanks for all your welcomes. its good to be here
    all of life is made up of Transition and revelation

Comment

• Letters to the Director...

I have sent my letters to WB and the UK studio but I was thinking what better way to have our voice heard than contact the director Steven Beck.

We would have to make sure that it is the same Steven Beck that directed Ghost Ship, which I rented to "check him out" (Btw, the moive wasn't that bad and he seems like a nice guy in the interview).

Also, we would need a mailling address. Does anybody know where we could find it?

Maybe it would be good if he knew how much this movie means to us and since we don't know if he has seen or will see the original series, we could make him aware that due to Joe's writting, the B5 characters ARE the actors that played them.
      Marco

Comment

• Hey all,

I've finally gotten able to post here. I think my confirmation email ended up in my bulk mail inbox (having several convention contact emails going in certainly brings up the spam level).

A few notes on the whole thing...

I've also been emailing Hercules (and copying Harry, Moriarity, and Father Geek) and getting pretty much the same response. His main beef is that there's not a lot of confirmed info about this, especially the recasting of Sheriden and Delenn. The fact that we've gotten some more details about the plot doesn't seem to be anything noteworthy to him, either.

To answer some questions about who is actually producing it and financing it, here's some of the details that I have put together on the two producers listed we don't know anything about...

Alain Gottesman is listed as a producer. From what I have learned (and I've know for almost a year) is that he was the person negotiating with Warner Bros. for the rights to make a Babylon 5 movie. He seems to be a very much behind the scenes person since the only web reference I can find to him is a hollywood reporter article on a movie that appears to have not been made (or at least released):

Sept 10, 2003

Bali bombing film in works

LONDON -- A fledgling British production company is drawing up plans to make a movie based on the infamous Bali bombing terrorist attack in November 2002. The project, entitled "Bali -- The Bombing of Paradise," is penned by John Goldsmith ("Agnes Browne") and will be produced by Alain Gottesman under his New Concept Development production banner, the company said Tuesday. The fictionalized account based on the true-life terrorist attack in the Asian resort will be co-produced by Lance Sloane. The movie is scheduled to go into production in April, with shooting set for Bali, the United Kingdom and Queensland, Australia. Cobalt Pictures, which was snapped up by Winchester Entertainment earlier this year (HR 6/17) will handle worldwide sales for the movie. The budget has been set at ú15 million ($22 million) by the producers, who are casting now and have the project out to directors. (Stuart Kemp)

This does connect Gottesmann to Winchester Films (which has since merged with Content Film) which is supposedly the company actually producing the movie, not Warner Bros. WB likely will have U.S. distribution rights but the money is likely being put up by U.K. investors, not Warner Bros. Since the production is based in the U.K., it's not as visible as a regular movie produced in Hollywood and thus under the radar of AICN's usual bunch of "spys".

Keep in mind that Winchester Films was at one point supposed to be doing a Red Dwarf movie as well, which has not yet happened.

The other intersting producer listed as an Executive Producer is Adam W. Rosen, who is mainly an entertainment Lawyer, a legal advisor to Hollywood Wizard with past ties to Warner Bros.

His bio can be found at http://www.hollywoodwizard.com/adam.html

I've posted something on their message board asking about Rosen and the B5 movie and if they are involved. Hopefully not, since the quality of other movies they are involved in look to be not even up to SciFi Saturday movie quality (Star Force, Preggers).

Doing further checking, I find that Rosen is also listed at ROSEN FEIG CONLEY & LUNN LLP, at http://www.rfcllaw.com, so he may have already moved on to there or have his hands in various companies.

His bio there is at http://www.rfcllaw.com/rosen.html
        It doesn't mention Hollywood Wizards or Eclipse Law Corp. However, it does have an email address for him at the end of the bio. Before we tell people to send wads of email his way, I'd like to send something to see if it actually gets to him and see if he might have a comment to make on the movie and such.

With Rosen and Netter listed as Executive Producers, and Gottesman and Straczynski as producers, Joe is the only one of the four that is from the creative side.

Lee Whiteside
        SFTV.org Webmaster
        Webmaster
        SFTV.org
        B520 ( http://www.azsf.net/b520 )

Comment

• Great information, Lee, thanks! I have a pretty good idea that we may not get any information until after the holidays, though.

Good to see you here,

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Welcome here and thanks for new information, Lee.

Comment

• Dah-am! Lee that is some great information. Bravo on diggiing it up. (And thanks for e-mailing Herc!)
              Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

• If the Babylon 5 film is being British financed it will be the companyÆs flag ship film - maximum interference.

I noticed that JMS mentioned that he likes to be left alone when writing in the article about the Fantastic four comics.

Britain is introducing new tax laws for films. If I were a tax accountant/lawyer on this film I would advise JMS to hold off until the new rules apply. In practice that means sit on the announcement and incorporation of say B5 Films PLC until after the date. (Anyone know when the new rules start?)
                Andrew Swallow

Comment

• In Britain film money can be raised on the stock market, assuming Thunderbirds have not killed that, but big money frequently involves a tv company. Such as Channel 4 Films or BBC Films. Any rumours about them being involved?
                  Andrew Swallow

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
                    Britain is introducing new tax laws for films. If I were a tax accountant/lawyer on this film I would advise JMS to hold off until the new rules apply. In practice that means sit on the announcement and incorporation of say B5 Films PLC until after the date. (Anyone know when the new rules start?)
                    Something that struck me last night. For a film to be classified as French under French law it has to comply with a lot of rules. Do the new British tax laws require the stars to be British?
                    Andrew Swallow

Comment

Something that struck me last night. For a film to be classified as French under French law it has to comply with a lot of rules. Do the new British tax laws require the stars to be British?
                      Surely not all, I would hope. I would think it would be awfully hard to cast a movie that was set against a Eurpoean backdrop, for example. Especially when looking at revenue streams from other countries. If all the French people in a movie were played by non-French actors with varying success in accents, how well would the movie do in the French market? Maybe the laws might require a certain percentage of cast and crew be British?
                      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

• Technomages=Wizards=Box Office Cash

There are so many topics, I don't know if anyone has suggested this before or not:

If it turns out that one of the main plot points for the TMOS movie is Galen versus his childhood rival, here's my two cents on why, if we open up the *brain* of a suit:

The success of the Lord Of The Rings films.
                        The success of the Harry Potter films.
                        Both had *wizards* in them.
                        To TPTB suits, a Technomage is a *wizard* and right now *wizards* have been a hot box office item.

Oh, do you think the main babe will be a busty blonde?

Of course, the TPTB *brains* use selective reasoning, so they fail to remember that the Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter films did not have *name* actors and actresses in all the lead roles.

So, look for duels of flying fireballs, crashes of thunder, lightning bolts flying...shadow ships screaming into the night releasing chaos and destruction..i.e....things blowing up real good. Maybe even a *shower scene*.

Oh joy...
                        Last edited by DDC2000; 12-28-2004, 07:43 PM.
                        Visitor from another time-space-distortion-anomaly...

Comment

This is really something typically French, and not generally in the British mindset. (The French generally care more for French prestige and being seen to be on the world stage; the British would generally care more about the inward investment generated by the movie business). Given this, I wouldn't put too much stock in there being a regulation concerning the number of British actors required to be in a film produced here.

(That said, if there *were* such a rule, that would be a good lever to help ensure Peter Woodward is not recast (assuming he wants the role etc)...)

Comment

• I have found the following information. A Babylon 5 film would have mostly US leading actors making it a non-British film.

TAX RELIEF FOR THE PRODUCTION OF LOW BUDGET BRITISH FILMS

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/ctsa...lief-films.pdf

Low is less than 20 million pounds

The UK GovernmentÆs definition of a British film.
                            http://www.culture.gov.uk/creative_i...itishfilms.htm

One rule of which says
                            iii) THE LABOUR COSTS TEST
                            (a) 70% of the total labour cost (minus - if desired - the cost of one person whose nationality must be non-Commonwealth/EU/EEA/Association Agreement country) must have been paid to citizens or ordinary residents of the Commonwealth, EU/EEA or a country with which the European Community has signed an Association Agreement*; or
                            Andrew Swallow

Comment

• Greetings to all B5 fans out there. I have just finished purusing the threads on this my first visit to the site and I must say that I am distressed, annoyed and outraged that the WB would take this stand. I am in awe of the great work which all of you have been doing (special recognition to the work of Jan and CE) and I will do anything and everything I can to see that this project goes forward as per JMS' vision. Just point me in the right direction and I will mail the letter.

Jan and/or CE: Are there any individuals or groups in Canada that you know of who should be informed (I just rejoined B5 fandom in 2003) ? Thanks a bunch guys and keep it real.

Comment

• Originally posted by clanranald
                                Greetings to all B5 fans out there. I have just finished purusing the threads on this my first visit to the site and I must say that I am distressed, annoyed and outraged that the WB would take this stand. I am in awe of the great work which all of you have been doing (special recognition to the work of Jan and CE) and I will do anything and everything I can to see that this project goes forward as per JMS' vision. Just point me in the right direction and I will mail the letter.
                                Hi Clanranald, welcome. Check out www.keepb5alive.com for addresses to send letters.

Jan and/or CE: Are there any individuals or groups in Canada that you know of who should be informed (I just rejoined B5 fandom in 2003) ? Thanks a bunch guys and keep it real.
                                Actually, it would help a lot if you can help us search for groups or forums so we can spread the word.

Jan
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X