Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ruvo
    Frulad,
    I'm de-lurking to chime in on the subject of AICN, for what it's worth. I've been reading AICN for the last couple of years and Coax hasn't been the same since Glen left. Herc is notoriously uninterested in anything other than Joss Whedon, any writer/producer involved in a Whedon project, the Gilmore Girls, Warren Ellis, or some reality shows. His opinion of B5 has been low in the past. Harry has watched it, but he's no big fan. You may have better luck with Moriarty, since he started reviewing the DVDs and was highly impressed with the show. I've seen stories spread pretty quickly over the web once one of these fan sites pick them up. I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.

By the way, I've liked your reviews on AICN when they are posted. They are very readable as opposed to most of the crap that shows up there. And my letters are going out today.

Thanks for the kind words Ruvo.

Yeah, there has definitely been a focus shift since Glen left AICN- Coax. In some ways it makes me glad I'm not a Farscape fan. I could never tell if Herc truely didn't like the show or if he just got off on annoying `Scapers...

My original letter was sent to Herc, Harry and Moriarty. Herc is the only one who responded. If I make no headway with Herc with my next email, I'm thinking of making an endrun around to Moriarty. I bought the guy a beer once after an AICN event in New York City a few years back. He owes me one...

As for Herc's love of Warren Ellis- I do drop in the last email that JMS had been up for the exec producer slot on Global Frequency if it had gone to series. If JMS is good enough for Ellis he should be good enough for Herc...
    Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

• This smells like straight-to-SciFi to me.
      Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was a straight-to-SciFi project and it received massive coverage and was generally regarded as a victory, not "oh well, it's just made for tv". As others have said, Herc-off has has a bias against B5 for years. I just don't know why that fat bastard Harry hasn't stepped in. Has anyone tried contacting Moriarty on this this one?
      Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

• Well, here's the final version of the email answer I'm firing back at Herc momentarily...

Hey Herc,

Since JMS is still in negotiations with WB over the casting so he canÆt say anything, as much as heÆd like to. It would be bad protocol for him to talk about the negotiations while they were ongoing and put him in a bad position. It was only last night that he even acknowledged that the story existed (http://jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-17259) -

ôSubject: Re: Danger folks.. Warner Bros is screwing with TMOS Casting..
        Date: 12/17/2004 10:52 PM Eastern Standard Time
        Message-id: <[email protected]>

I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not able to do so.

jmsö

I donÆt know how familiar you are with the short production history of Crusade, but when the TNT suits in Atlanta started demanding ridiculous changes, Aint It Cool was one of the first to break the story. (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=2060) Since JMS was going back and forth with TNT at the time, he couldnÆt make any public comment on the veracity of the story. A TBÆer at the time even posted JMSÆs ôNo commentö post from CompuServe (http://www.aintitcool.com/tb_display.cgi?id=2060#8194). JMS eventually did comment on the affair and AICN reported on it here- http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=2133.

It looks to me like something is definitely going on, and given his actions during the Crusade/Memogate incident, JMS is confirming this in the only way he can by saying he canÆt say anything.

According to the casting sides that have been circulating Adam W. Rosen and Douglas Netter are listed as Executive Producers (Netter served in the same capacity on B5, Crusade and the TV movies) and Alain Gottesman and JMS are listed as producers. A production office is open in Elstree Studios in England and Peter Heslop (Star Wars Ep 1,2, HitchhikerÆs Guide) has been linked as production manager. To be honest, thereÆs been some confusion over the director, Steven Beck. At first some of us thought it was Steve Beck who directed 13 Ghosts, but a Dec 8 story over at IGN (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/571/571938p1.html) states that he is a rookie director. While it may be odd that Warners would entrust a film like this to a newcomer, IÆd like to point that another production about the same size is being helmed by a first time film director- HitchhikerÆs Guide To The Galaxy and Garth Jennings.

This film, as it stands now, is definitely intended for theatrical release- not straight to DVD on cable. JMS first started dropping hints about the project back on September 27, 2003 in a post (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17016) where he stated-

ôThere is the possibility of something Babylon 5 related on the horizon, but again I don't want anyone getting excited until we know if either one of these two projects is going to actually come to fruition. We should know where this lands in the next few weeks. The only thing I will say is that they're not print projects, so if you were to assume it's for TV or film you wouldn't be too far off...but that neither of them are series. And that's all I'm going to say about them for now.ö

JMS would make a few cryptic comments that talks were on going over what the B5 project would be over the next several months until on February 26, 2004 he posted (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17085)-

ôThe only things I can say right now about B5:TMoS is that now that all the correct agreements have been signed, sealed and delivered, the draft has gone in, met with great enthusiasm all around, notes have been received, and the next draft is in process and has to be delivered within two weeks so that certain other steps can be set into motion.

öI still can't tell you what it *is* because that has to come from the proper people through the proper channels at the proper time...but I can tell you a few cases of what it *isn't*...it isn't a novel, or a short story, a comic, an animated series, a radio drama or a stage play. Beyond that, deponent sayeth not.ö

On April 29, JMS all but confirmed that the project was a film in the following post (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17093) where he wrote-

ôThere's a LOT happening right now in the B5 universe, on a multitude of fronts, some of it in response to TMoS, some of it coming up completely on its own. All I can say at this moment is that if you've been waiting for new stuff in the B5 universe, you may be getting your wish in spades very soon.

öSoon, I promise, all will be made clear. I don't like being Mr. Mysterioso on this, but if I say too much, the-powers-that-be will use my head to make a 2.35:1 sized hole in the wall.ö

(Emphasis mine).

I hope this answers any questions youÆve had. (BTW- while rummaging around for the above quotes, I came across a recent JMS post (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17249) where he states he was in talks to Exec Produce Global Frequency. He had some nice words for the pilot script about five `graphs down the post.)

Reno out.

Comment

• I don't know if it has been mentioned so far, but FilmForce has coverage on the re-casting rumours(dated Friday).

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/573/573888p1.html

They, don't know any more than we do, but it may reach some more people.

Update:

I've sent an email to the writer of this article informing him of the effort that is currently undertaken here and gave him a link to www.keepb5alive.com.

Maybe they'll put this in the article.
          Last edited by Marty; 12-18-2004, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leto II

"Herc" sits in his wheelchair and salivates over each new Enterprise promo as if it's for the latest von Trier film.
            WOW....Lars Von Trier goes Enterprise....
            That's a movie I would like to watch!

iamsheridan....are you guys in Interstellar Alliance planning to send a letter or will you do it as private persons? I'm just thinking if different B5-fan groups/organizations should send letters.

/Magnus
            Last edited by rymdgubbe; 12-18-2004, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rymdgubbe
              iamsheridan....are you guys in Interstellar Alliance planning to send a letter or will you do it as private persons? I'm just thinking if different B5-fan groups/organizations should send letters.

/Magnus
              Good idea. I'll ask my colleagues in the Board.

As you know I sent out a mail concerning this on the b5-list ([email protected] for you who are interested) and got two responses. One guy said that as long as the new actors are better than the old ones, he didn't care who played the parts, and a girl who was on our side. And then you, of course, said that you had sent a letter.

I have just finished my own letter. Now all I have to do is find the correct postage (is it still 10 SEK?), a mailbox (not as easy a task as it might seem) and get it on its way.

/IamS
              Interstellar Alliance - Sweden's largest Babylon 5-club
              http://www.babcon.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by frulad
                Thanks for the kind words Ruvo.

Yeah, there has definitely been a focus shift since Glen left AICN- Coax. In some ways it makes me glad I'm not a Farscape fan. I could never tell if Herc truely didn't like the show or if he just got off on annoying `Scapers...

My original letter was sent to Herc, Harry and Moriarty. Herc is the only one who responded. If I make no headway with Herc with my next email, I'm thinking of making an endrun around to Moriarty. I bought the guy a beer once after an AICN event in New York City a few years back. He owes me one...

As for Herc's love of Warren Ellis- I do drop in the last email that JMS had been up for the exec producer slot on Global Frequency if it had gone to series. If JMS is good enough for Ellis he should be good enough for Herc...
                Who is Warren Ellis, & what is Global Frequency?

Tammy

Comment

• Someone should try sending a nice e-mail to one of the guys at: http://www.chud.com/

One of them, is in fact a big B5 fan, I'd have to look up the reviews in the DVD section, to find out, who exactly reviewed them. I'm no good at sending e-mails good enough to get posted. -_-;;
                  The most obvious, yet often overlooked medium for transmitting the message: http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/signs.shtml

Comment

• Maybe this is what is going on

I've posted some thoughts that I believe may be at the heart of what is going on over at

http://www.sfcrusade.com/News/B5_News.html

Please feel free to start blasting me.

Comment

• Re: Maybe this is what is going on

Originally posted by Tim_Fleming
                      Please feel free to start blasting me.
                      I don't see anything to blast about, Tim.

Except that it's Furlan, not Furlon.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• B5fan posted this in the "tally" thread, and I thought it was worth carrying to here for one reason:

Well, on top of my sending snail mail letters a couple of days ago I did use the email address and sent an email yetserday evening. I received a reply today saying they'll pass it along. They didn't say to whom, or where (maybe the trash can).......
                        The very fact that someone replied and stated that they would "pass it along" should tell all of you that WB's denial of TMoS is exactly what I've said it is...a facad...a ruse. They are forwarding the emails on to someone, which tells us that there is someone they know who should receive them.

I just hope it isn't the desk of one J. Michael Straczynski...

But the good news is...they're forwarding it.

CE

Keep the Voice of the Resistance alive!
                        Anthony Flessas
                        Writer/Producer/Director,
                        SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

• Originally posted by tlsmith1963
                          Who is Warren Ellis, & what is Global Frequency?

Tammy

Warren Ellis is a comic book writer and Global Frequency is a series he created that was optioned for the WB for a tv series. It got as far as having a pilot produced but wasn't picked up. I can't tell you much about the comic itself as I don't read it, though my friend at the comic shop keeps telling me too...

Comment

• Could someone get the e-mail address posted on the Keep B5 alive site, along with the snail mail addresses?

Thank you.
                            JC
                            Joan

Comment

• *Ding! Ding*

Round Four!

HereÆs the following letter IÆve gotten back from Herc. In it heÆs a bit dismissive of the character of Galen and Crusade in general, but I address that in my response. (BTW, does anyone have any Crusade DVD sales figures?) He does agree that the recasting of Sheridan, Delenn, et al. would be a big story, he just canÆt seem to get his own confirmationà

Well okay then. Appreciate your patience on this.

If it's the guy who directed "Ghost Ship," and I agree it probably is, this sounds like a feature.

And if it is a feature, I get why they'd want to recast Galen. Galen wasn't a real B5 character, he was just in that B5 TV movie and the spinoff everybody hated. Peter Woodward was just a supporting player even there, and doesn't seen likely to play the male lead in major motion picture.

THE REAL STORY, if it exists, lies in recasting major characters like Sheridan, Delann and Lochley. But does word of these characters being recast come ONLY from Peter Woodward's website?

Have you seen these sides for Sheridan, Delann and Lochley? Do you know anyone who has?

My casting sources know nothing of these sides.

(And at the moment I can't even find them referenced on the Woodward site. Perhaps you have a more specific link? Even that would be a huge help.)

If Sheridan and Delann are in the script and indeed being recast, that would be VERY big news. This is because I can't believe any producer or studio would be that stupid. In fact, I'd only believe it if it came from a sturdy source. How can I get in touch with one of more of these "industry-connected fans" referenced by the Woodward site?

This is a rhetorical question. If these "industry-connected fans" are interested in preventing the roles from being recast, I think they'd be willing to pass along their info to someone besides Woodward's webmaster.

>According to the actorÆs website
                              >(www.peterwoodward.com)
                              > However, some of our industry connected
                              >fans have said that sides for the characters of
                              >Sheridan, Delenn and Lochley have gone quietly out.)

Anyway, thanks for all the help,

Herc

HereÆs what IÆll be firing back a little later today-

Hey Herc,

Thanks for your quick response.

The news about the sides going out for the Sheridan, Delenn and Lochley characters did not come from Peter WoodwardÆs site. It grew out of no mention of the series actors in the original production information that hit back on the 8th over at ProductionWeekly.com, especially since the plot synopsis mentioned the Galen character.

It was the industry-connected fans who first confirmed the speculation that there was pressure from Warners to recast anyone from either series with more ônameö actors. (I have sent messages to those involved asking them to drop you a line. I know that youÆll keep their confidentiality.)

More confirmation came in the form of the casting sides that HollywoodNorthReport.com reported on that specifically mentioned a Galen character description going out. The description for the character Diane Baker mentioned that she was a friend of Captain Lochley, played by Tracy Scoggins on B5Æs 5th season and on Crusade.

WoodwardÆs site only mentioned that his script, Closing the Ring, was possibly going before the cameras in March. It doesnÆt mention if Woodward has any further involvement in the project beyond scripting, so on this point the waters are muddy over whether his recasting is due to his previous commitment to Closing the Ring or not. (http://www.peterwoodward.com/News.html)

Finally, FilmForce (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/57...html?fromint=1) ran an article on Friday where they reported on the rumors and mentioned that they had contacted several actors from the show who reportedly have not been contacted about the film. This article hit before JMS ôNo commentö post of Friday evening.

I would definitely agree with you that recasting the roles of any B5 character included in the filmÆs script would be a monumentally stupid decision. But, at the risk of sounding cynical, this is Hollywood and as fans of film and TV havenÆt we seen a parade of such bad decisions through our lives? Quick example off the top of my head- Fox airing Firefly completely out of order, destroying the character arcs of many of the characters. That is why weÆve been organizing this letter campaign to let fans inform the Warners suits that we enjoy the performances of the actors who created these roles, and that while we are looking forward to the upcoming film, we feel it would be a major mistake to alienate their already built-in audience base for the project.

Tangently, I would disagree with your assessment that Galen was only a supporting character on Crusade. True, his character wasnÆt in every episode but was scheduled to appear more heavily in the first seasonÆs aborted second half as the series bigger story arc became revealed. Given that this story arc was to concern a shadow organization within EarthÆs military trying to adapt Shadow technology left over from the Shadow War shown in B5 and that the plot descriptions already circulating for TmoS sound as if JMS will be working that story element in a different way, it would make sense that

Also, I donÆt think that Crusade is as universally despised as you might think. Many B5 fans enjoy the series, which has just been released on DVD. Unfortunately, TNT strangled this baby in the crib, so it never really had a chance to hit its potential. A potential, I might add, that seemed intriguing based on the three unproduced season 1 scripts that JMS and writer Fiona Avery had made available for a time after the series folded. (AveryÆs dealt with Walter KoenigÆs psi-cop now turned war criminal Bester returning where JMS two scripts dealt with the discovery that someone was tampering with Shadow Tech and that the Technomage tech that Galen uses is also Shadow derived.) Even many who didnÆt like Crusade still had good words for WoodwardÆs performance on the show. DonÆt forget that Woodward was also the lead heavy in The Patriot a few years back. Not the most recent credit, granted, but I think his work there shows he can be a screen presence.

Reno.

Comment

• Don't see any point in arguing with him about Crusade. Just let it go. It isn't gonna do any favours in winning support.

Comment

Working...
                                X