Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS "No Comment"

Just saw this on the moderated newsgroup:

Subject: Re: Danger folks.. Warner Bros is screwing with TMOS Casting..
    Date: 12/17/2004 10:52 PM Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: <[email protected]>

I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not
    able to do so.

jms

([email protected])
    (all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
    permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
    and don't send me story ideas)
    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Well, that's a definite confirmation that somethink hinky is up.

(Jan is there a link to the exact post?)
      frulad
      Rampantly Irresponsible
      Last edited by frulad; 12-17-2004, 10:28 PM.
      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

• Jan, Aisling, CE---

I could use a little help here. Hercules over at AICN is picking a heck of a time to be a Doubting Thomas. HereÆs the answer I got to the email I sent earlier this eveningà

If this is a real movie, why isn't JMS talking about it openly? Why would WB deny distributing something it's actually distributing? WB has never done that before.

And who is this "Steven Beck" who's supposedly directing it? If this is a big-budget project, why aren't its producers using someone who's directed something -- anything -- before?

And who IS producing this, anyway? I don't mean WB; I have the sources who say WB has as much to do with this as Fox has to do with "Serenity." Who's the Joel Silver or the Lauren Shuler-Donner who's overseeing the project?

This smells like straight-to-SciFi to me.
        HereÆs what I got drafted as an answer so far-

Hey Herc,

Since JMS is still in negotiations with WB over the casting so he canÆt say anything. It would be bad protocol for him to talk about the negotiations while they were ongoing and put him in a bad position.

I donÆt know how familiar you are with the short production history of Crusade, but when the TNT suits in Atlanta started demanding ridiculous changes, Aint It Cool was one of the first to break the story. (http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=2060) Since JMS was going back and forth with TNT at the time, he couldnÆt make any public comment on the veracity of the story. A TbÆer at the time even posted JMSÆs ôNo commentö post from CompuServe (http://www.aintitcool.com/tb_display.cgi?id=2060#8194). JMS eventually did comment on the affair and AICN reported on it here- http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=2133.

As I was writing this, JMS posted the following-

["Subject: Re: Danger folks.. Warner Bros is screwing with TMOS Casting..

I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not able to do so.

jms"

It looks to me like something is definitely going on, and given his actions during the Crusade/Memogate incident, JMS is confirming this in the only way he can by saying he canÆt say anything.

According to the casting sides that have been circulating Adam W. Rosen and Douglas Netter are listed as Executive Producers (Netter served in the same capacity on B5, Crusade and the TV movies) and Alain Gottesman and JMS are listed as producers. A production office is open in Elstree Studios in England and Peter Heslop (Star Wars Ep 1,2, HitchhikerÆs Guide) has been linked as production manager. To be honest, thereÆs been some confusion over the director, Steven Beck. At first some of us thought it was Steve Beck who directed 13 Ghosts, but a Dec 8 story over at IGN (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/571/571938p1.html) states that he is a rookie director. While it may be odd that Warners would entrust a film like this to a newcomer, IÆd like to point that another production about the same size is being helmed by a first time film director- HitchhikerÆs Guide To The Galaxy and Garth Jennings.

This film, as it stands now, is intended for theatrical release- not straight to DVD on cable. JMS first started dropping hints about the project back on September 27, 2003 in a post (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17016) where he stated-

ôthere is the possibility of something Babylon 5 related on the horizon, but again I don't want anyone getting excited until we know if either one of these two projects is going to actually come to fruition. We should know where this lands in the next few weeks. The only thing I will say is that they're not print projects, so if you were to assume it's for TV or film you wouldn't be too far off...but that neither of them are series. And that's all I'm going to say about them for now.ö

JMS would make a few cryptic comments that talks were on going over what the B5 project would be over the next several months until on February 26, 2004 he posted (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17085)-

ôThe only things I can say right now about B5:TMoS is that now that all the correct agreements have been signed, sealed and delivered, the draft has gone in, met with great enthusiasm all around, notes have been received, and the next draft is in process and has to be delievered within two weeks so that certain other steps can be set into motion.

"I still can't tell you what it *is* because that has to come from the proper people through the proper channels at the proper time...but I can tell you a few cases of what it *isn't*...it isn't a novel, or a short story, a comic, an animated series, a radio drama or a stage play. Beyond that, deponent sayeth not.ö

On April 29, JMS all but confirmed that the project was a film in the following post (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17093) where he wrote-

ôThere's a LOT happening right now in the B5 universe, on a multitude of fronts, some of it in response to TMoS, some of it coming up completely on its own. All I can say at this moment is that if you've been waiting for new stuff in the B5 universe, you may be getting your wish in spades very soon.

"Soon, I promise, all will be made clear. I don't like being Mr. Mysterioso on this, but if I say too much, the-powers-that-be will use my head to make a 2.35:1 sized hole in the wall.ö

I hope this answers any questions youÆve had. (BTW- while rummaging around for the above quotes, I came across a recent JMS post (http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17249) where he states he was in talks to Exec Produce Global Frequency. He had some nice words for the pilot script about five `graphs down the post.)

Reno out.
        Any thoughts. IÆll be sending this out about 7 oÆclock Saturday eveningà

Comment

• There is the old story that the production company is Winchester films.
          Andrew Swallow

Comment

• Thanks for posting that email there. The only thing? Now I really AM worried.

My biggest fear is that the B5 universe isn't unified enough in this. There are outcries everywhere, but if you look on the WB website, the place where I would *think* suits at WB would be looking, you only see a total of 73 posts (adding a few different threads together.) Were I a studio exec at WB, I would go to that board, say "hahahahaha, 73 posts? and a few from the same person, whatever.... get that O.C. dude on the phone, we need a new Londo."

Everyone's "outrage" is spread out between a few different places: here, the B5tv.com, the WB board and a few other places. I hope having more than one "base of operations" doesn't end up hurting this cause in the end.

Ms Lulu

Comment

• Jms replied on the re-casting rumours:

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17259

Comment

• Things are obviously moving at speed right now.

JMS will let us know when he can.
                Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mslulu
                  My biggest fear is that the B5 universe isn't unified enough in this. There are outcries everywhere, but if you look on the WB website, the place where I would *think* suits at WB would be looking, you only see a total of 73 posts (adding a few different threads together.) Were I a studio exec at WB, I would go to that board, say "hahahahaha, 73 posts? and a few from the same person, whatever.... get that O.C. dude on the phone, we need a new Londo."
                  I think that it's less a matter of where the 'buzz' is as how widespread it is, in which case this is a good thing. It's important for us to show that we're vocal in our support of the project *and* a desireable group to be marketed to.

But as important as the buzz is, those letters are much more so. I would ask everybody who's helped spread the word so far to go back to all of those places and show them what JMS posted. He's pretty much told us that his hands are tied. How many people have said "I'll wait and see what JMS says."? We've got to let them know that he won't *be* saying (though he'd like to be able to) and remind them that if what we've heard is completely false, there's no reason why he couldn't comment.

Everyone's "outrage" is spread out between a few different places: here, the B5tv.com, the WB board and a few other places. I hope having more than one "base of operations" doesn't end up hurting this cause in the end.
                  Concentrate on the letters. There's no base except for the KeepB5Alive.com site and we can't really predict what site's they might be looking at. Those letters/holiday cards and postcards arriving are the tangible evidence that WB will be looking at. Let's make it a lot of evidence!

Thanks everybody!
                  Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

• Originally posted by frulad

(Jan is there a link to the exact post?)
                    I don't know how to link directly to the newsgroup but here's the post as it's shown up in the archives:

http://jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-17259

Jan

Comment

• Originally posted by Jan
                      I don't know how to link directly to the newsgroup but here's the post as it's shown up in the archives:

http://jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-17259

Jan

Thanks Jan, The link'll go in the latest email back to Hercules.

I can't believe that he's being so stubborn on this. Although I haven't really been able to throw them a story recently, I would have thought that my past stuff and the fact that I've been a Talk Back poster of long standing (since my handle of RenoNevada2000 referred to a year in the future) that I would have built up a bit of cred... (And yes, I'm sure this is partly my ego talking.)

Comment

• Originally posted by frulad
                        I can't believe that he's being so stubborn on this. Although I haven't really been able to throw them a story recently, I would have thought that my past stuff and the fact that I've been a Talk Back poster of long standing (since my handle of RenoNevada2000 referred to a year in the future) that I would have built up a bit of cred... (And yes, I'm sure this is partly my ego talking.)
                        While I hate that he's not off encouraging folks to write already, he's not being unreasonable. None of the folks who've been cautious are. (dammit )

Hopefully, now that JMS has come out and said that he *like* to talk about it but can't, people will get those letters in the mail!

Everybody who's been spreading the word, please return to all of the places you've posted and let them know what JMS has said.

Jan

Comment

• JMS Comments

I posted the JMS comments on the keepb5alive.com site as well. So we can refer to it again. The number of page views dropped dramtically yesterday and we don't wnat the WB to think our Crusade has lost any steam! So lets spread the word and get those letters flowing again!

Thanks Again to all who have helped to get the word out to those non believers.

Comment

• Frulad,
                            I'm de-lurking to chime in on the subject of AICN, for what it's worth. I've been reading AICN for the last couple of years and Coax hasn't been the same since Glen left. Herc is notoriously uninterested in anything other than Joss Whedon, any writer/producer involved in a Whedon project, the Gilmore Girls, Warren Ellis, or some reality shows. His opinion of B5 has been low in the past. Harry has watched it, but he's no big fan. You may have better luck with Moriarty, since he started reviewing the DVDs and was highly impressed with the show. I've seen stories spread pretty quickly over the web once one of these fan sites pick them up. I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.

By the way, I've liked your reviews on AICN when they are posted. They are very readable as opposed to most of the crap that shows up there. And my letters are going out today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruvo
                              Frulad,
                              I'm de-lurking to chime in on the subject of AICN, for what it's worth. I've been reading AICN for the last couple of years and Coax hasn't been the same since Glen left. Herc is notoriously uninterested in anything other than Joss Whedon, any writer/producer involved in a Whedon project, the Gilmore Girls, Warren Ellis, or some reality shows. His opinion of B5 has been low in the past. Harry has watched it, but he's no big fan. You may have better luck with Moriarty, since he started reviewing the DVDs and was highly impressed with the show. I've seen stories spread pretty quickly over the web once one of these fan sites pick them up. I don't know if this will help, but it's worth a try.

By the way, I've liked your reviews on AICN when they are posted. They are very readable as opposed to most of the crap that shows up there. And my letters are going out today.
                              That, and "Herc" is massively disinterested in any space-SF project that doesn't bear the "Star Trek" moniker on it.

"Hercules the Strong," so-called, is a notorious TrekkiePartisan in fandom circles, well-known for refusing to even *cover* nearly any and all Babylon 5-related projects, and for running thinly-disguised smear pieces masquerading as "reviews" when he does.

Nota bene: the two substantially nasty reviews he posted up of "To Live and Die in Starlight" around three years back, prompting the following response from JMS himself:

Subject: Re: LOTR review up at aint it cool news (SPOILERS)
                              Date: 10/17/2001 11:14 PM
                              Forum: Usenet

>A not so ringing review has been posted for the upcoming movie. I'm hoping
                              >the reviewer has a strong bias against B5. I unfortunately have a very
                              >strong bias against Crusade.

Let's see...a reviewer who goes under the handle Captain Christopher Pike (a classic Star Trek character), compares everything in B5 to Star Trek, and is subbing for another so-called reviewer called Herc who is a bigtime B5 hater from way back...AND he posts a negative "review" of B5: Rangers?

I'm shocked...shocked, I tell you.

Lemme give you a heads-up here...there is a qualitative difference between an actual reviewer and the kind of jumped up fanboy who posts a message on this kind of system specifically for the purpose of trashing something out of the usual fanboy feud shit we've seen over the last seven years. (And then, from what I've heard, pops on over to b5lr.com to get reactions because he wants to get his jollies.)

This is not a review. It's not even close to a review, and this kind of crap is what totally destroys and has destroyed any hope of legitimacy that aicn has, which is why just about everybody in the business now totally writes them off. It started off as a news site, now it's a fanboy site with clearly distinguished biases.

They don't like that I say this? Tough. It's my review of their performance.

Look, how about we actually *see* the thing? I think it may be one of the best things B5 we've ever done. WB had NO NOTES on the thing. SFC had ONE note, to make one word (entil'zha) a bit louder because it's kind of a plot point. Both places referred to it as stunning and beautiful and maybe our best work to date.

So for some cretin as this to come out and try to torpedo something out of the same crap feud that's been out there for seven years, and for people like you to actually *fall* for this crap and post things like....

>If this telefilm tanks, I'd honestly be open to the idea of someone else
                              >taking over the universe from Joe.

....demonstrates a degree of credulity bordering on the mind-boggling.

This happens every time we do anything B5 related, it happened every season of the show ("We've seen scripts for season three and it's going to be just action, no more character stuff") and you'd think sooner or later people would learn not to fall for the okeydoke especially when a piece like this is SO obviously a plant by someone with an anti-B5 bias (a prior aicn review that slipped in, from someone WITHOUT any B5 bias, LOVED the film and this was before the EFX were even in the damned thing).

Jesus, Jonathan, get a grip and use a little critical thinking once in a while....

jms

([email protected])
                              (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
                              Glen was far more impartial in his running of the "Coaxial" site -- despite his critical problems with Crusade, he was right at the forefront of the effort to keep the damned show on the air.

"Herc" sits in his wheelchair and salivates over each new Enterprise promo as if it's for the latest von Trier film.
                              Leto II
                              Hell's COMIN' WITH ME!!
                              Last edited by Leto II; 12-18-2004, 09:48 AM.
                              "Listen up, boy, or pornography starring your mother will be the SECOND-worst thing to happen to you today."

Comment

• Re: JMS &quot;No Comment&quot;

Originally posted by Jan
                                Just saw this on the moderated newsgroup:
                                Subject: Re: Danger folks.. Warner Bros is screwing with TMOS Casting..

I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not
                                able to do so.

jms

([email protected])
                                (all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,

Jan
                                Great! just great
                                Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Working...
                                X