No announcement yet.

On ComingSoon.net...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright. The original B5 had G'Kar and Londo. The interaction between those two individuals was what really made the show as far as I'm concerned. Without them, it would have been a story about a couple of wars and some mysticism.

With Crusade it was Galen.

But we've yet to see Galen with G'Kar and Londo.

What I mean is that G'Kar and Londo are the two halves of one great 'strong character'.

And Galen himself is yet another 'strong character'.

From what I've seen, only very few writers can pull off a good story with several such strong characters in it. It either feels too artificial, too one-sided or it falls flat on its face by dumbing down all the strong ones.

But that's just me with oddball fears. Pay no attention :P

Comment

I'm thrilled, but also a bit cautious.

Every place this news has been reported has sourced Productionweekly.com for the article. I really want to wait on the jumping up and down until a second, independant source pipes up.

Secondly, the announcement of a totally new character being a lead in the film has me wondering, Is this Diane Baker the character plugged into the script to fill Richard Biggs/Dr. Franklin's story function?
      Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

In the spirit of cautious optimism, I didn't want to jump up and down, so I just jumped up and am waiting for official word before I jump down.
        "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by frulad

Secondly, the announcement of a totally new character being a lead in the film has me wondering, Is this Diane Baker the character plugged into the script to fill Richard Biggs/Dr. Franklin's story function?
          A doctor to an investigator - that is a big change and sounds unlikely. I agree with the person who suspected that her function is to introduce Babylon 5 to the general public.

Earthforce Intelligence Officer is an odd sounding job, it means either spy or the person who briefs the general. Storyline = Ms James Bond in space?

Next what does she look like? Currently the cast is short of a blond girl and a black character.
          Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
            Next what does she look like? Currently the cast is short of a blond girl and a black character.
            Immaterial since that's not a criteria that JMS uses in casting. Anyway, we don't know that Marjean Holden won't be in it, do we?

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

So you're proposing a black chic with blond hair?

Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Diane Baker....hmmm.

Dare we speculate on a Blockbuster actor such as Sigourney?

JMS would know the value of such.

PLEASE, let your replies concentrate on the "such as" and not any criticisms of said actor. Let's drop more names, maybe we'll get it right.
                John Brittain
                2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Comment

Originally posted by jahkneebee
                  Diane Baker....hmmm.

Dare we speculate on a Blockbuster actor such as Sigourney?

JMS would know the value of such.

I suppose it might not hurt to have a name actor in there someplace. I'm more interested in seeing the characters I already know done by actors I already like, though. To me, the new person would be there for exposition purposes.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Swallow
                    Earthforce Intelligence Officer is an odd sounding job, it means either spy or the person who briefs the general. Storyline = Ms James Bond in space?
                    I think its more like she knows something she isn't supposed to know (shadow tech in EA hands?) and goes searching what killed her brother. I think connection with Shadow hybrid ship (and Cerebus) is not out of question if TMoS is somehow tied to Crusade plot. I also think its obvious that her brothers death is connected with leftover Shadow tech.

Another question is what year TMoS takes place? After, before or during Crusade (and Drakh plague)? It might even take place around Londo's death.

Comment

Re: Who should play Diane Baker?

Originally posted by iamsheridan
                      For some reason, the name Baker rings English to me (as opposed to American, Australian or whatever), so my guess goes to: Sarah Alexander from Coupling.
                      Ah, but the name may be no indication when JMS is involved. Check out this post...
                      http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-8569
                      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                        Immaterial since that's not a criteria that JMS uses in casting. Anyway, we don't know that Marjean Holden won't be in it, do we?

Jan
                        JMS may not use racial groups as casting criteria but the studios do. Where there is not a token black character in a film black rights organisations have organised boycotts. Marjean Holdern may or may not be sufficiently black.

Blond girls are a traditional way of increasing ratings.

As for black girls that look good with blond hair they are rare.
                        Andrew Swallow

Comment

The Director...

Anyone have any idea who Director Steven Beck is?

The IMDB has:
                          The guy who was Associate Producer on the film 'Alma Mater.'

And:

Steve Beck: Director of 'Ghost Ship', 'Thirteen Ghosts', and ILM Visual Effects Art Director on Hunt For Red October, Indy Jones 3 and The Abyss.

Gee. My money is on the latter, rather than the former!

Oh. My first post. A big 'Hi' to the various bods on the forum. Longtime reader, first-time poster.
                          "We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There is no escaping reason; no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist. It is Purpose that pulls us. That guides us. That drives us. It is purpose that defines us!"

Comment

Re: The Director...

Originally posted by NivenPournelle
                            Anyone have any idea who Director Steven Beck is?
                            We're all waiting for more info, NivenPournelle, though I agree with you.

Glad you started to post!

Jan

Comment

A couple of more sites have picked up the story:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=43117

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/571/571938p1.html

Nothing new is reported, but I'd say it's possible that the more this is covered, the more likely it is that we'll see some kind of response from JMS.
                              "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future, and it changed us..."

Comment

Add Dark Horizons to that list.

Comment

Working...
                                X