Will you buy Crusade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shr'eshhhhhh
    ...the one with Eddy triple Wood was very dull. Shame because both Woodwards can really act well. (an opportunity lost.)
    You said it! It was kinda like they decided that they had to have an "average acting quotient' for that episode and so cast every other non-recurring role in that ep with the worst actors they could find. The bartender and his daughter were so wooden they coulda been peglegs in a pirate flick.

It is hard to believe that JMS wrote this and Mike Vejar directed it. They should both know better.
    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
      You said it! It was kinda like they decided that they had to have an "average acting quotient' for that episode and so cast every other non-recurring role in that ep with the worst actors they could find. The bartender and his daughter were so wooden they coulda been peglegs in a pirate flick.

It is hard to believe that JMS wrote this and Mike Vejar directed it. They should both know better.
      Oh it wasn't that bad! The worst thing about it was the mine (overall view) CGI, which looked like a model.

Sure, the ep. was slow, and JMS has indicated that it's the ep. that he thought he did the worst on (the writing*), but it's not that bad!

* He indicated that as a general rule, that the episodes he writes in a day or so, writing in white hot streak, are the best, and the ones he works on for two weeks straight (e.g. "The Long Road"), turn out the worst.

typo fixed
      Last edited by KoshN; 11-27-2004, 03:51 PM.
      Mac Breck (KoshN)
      ------------------
      Warner Brothers is Lucy.
      JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
      Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Hell no I'm not buying the DVDs. I've already seen most of the Crusade episodes and read the unproduced scripts, so there wouldn't be a point. There's no point in getting angry over a canceled tv series anyways, better just to leave it and wait for something that actually gets done right.

TMoS is going to tie up at least a few of the Crusade threads anyways so meh, why bother?

Comment

Oh my god.

I'm the only one out of 50 or so votes that's voted No.

Unf***ing believable.

Comment

Originally posted by DysfunctionalReality
            Hell no I'm not buying the DVDs. I've already seen most of the Crusade episodes and read the unproduced scripts, so there wouldn't be a point. There's no point in getting angry over a canceled tv series anyways, better just to leave it and wait for something that actually gets done right.

TMoS is going to tie up at least a few of the Crusade threads anyways so meh, why bother?
            Why bother buying the DVDs of B5 either? I've seen all the episodes multiple times and I own almost all of the scripts for that matter. One of my reasons is for the commentaries. Even though I've been reading JMS' posts for years, it's cool to hear the stories in his own voice. Another is for the other extras that highlight some of the work of the many people who made B5 special such as the makeup and prosthetics work and music. I'm in love with the DVD Suite that came on the (I think) third season set.

I'm looking forward to hearing what JMS has to say about what happened behind the scenes of Crusade.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
              Why bother buying the DVDs of B5 either? I've seen all the episodes multiple times and I own almost all of the scripts for that matter. One of my reasons is for the commentaries. Even though I've been reading JMS' posts for years, it's cool to hear the stories in his own voice. Another is for the other extras that highlight some of the work of the many people who made B5 special such as the makeup and prosthetics work and music. I'm in love with the DVD Suite that came on the (I think) third season set.

I'm looking forward to hearing what JMS has to say about what happened behind the scenes of Crusade.

Jan
              You're so right. In fact, I'm thinking that maybe DysfunctionalReality should take his B5 DVD sets to Half-Price Books and sell 'em for 25% of MSRP. That way, somebody will run into a bargain.

Sorry, I just got out of Christmas shopping traffic, and would love to wring something's neck.

FYI, in said traffic I just saw a Mitsubishi 3000GT with three wings on the back (ala a WWI Fokker triplane), air dam effects hanging from everywhere, and huge "spinner" hubcaps on the wheels that stuck out about 2" from the actual wheels. I also saw a little Japanese econobox in a sort of radioactive baby diarrhea green metallic. Must be Nielsen families. <S>
              Last edited by KoshN; 11-27-2004, 04:33 PM.
              Mac Breck (KoshN)
              ------------------
              Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Huh, wtf?

I've only seen a few scattered episodes of seasons 4 and 5 of Babylon 5, and since its not a decapitated product I see no reason not to buy them.

If crusade hadn't had its balls chopped off and if I hadn't already experienced most of what it had to offer, then sure I'd pick it up.

But its had and I have, so better just to put it down : D

Comment

If crusade hadn't had its balls chopped off and if I hadn't already experienced most of what it had to offer, then sure I'd pick it up.

No, see if JMS had caved in to TNT and written what they wanted, you would have a point (balls cut off), and it would not be worth continuing. However, what we got in Crusade (and you're judging it without having even seen all 13 episodes.) is going to be continued in some form. JMS wants to tell that story.

Hawthorne

Audience: Any (plans?) to address the Crusade story?

JMS: Uh....(gestures toward the erased blackboard where B5: TMoS was.)

Audience: Out of all your cancelled projects, which one would you like to resume first?

JMS: There's only been a couple. (laughter) He's being mean to me! Umm...Crusade. That's the obvious choice because that one was cut short...it was shot in it's cradle by unfair means and that pisses me off. So I will fix that one way or the other.

Me, I enjoy Crusade for what we got (including the not so subtle slams at TNT), and if I'm going to read a book, I don't like to jump right in to Chapter 3 or so. I like to start with Chapter 1. The Crusade episodes are the beginning of the Crusade story.
                  Mac Breck (KoshN)
                  ------------------
                  Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

And as we all know, "a beginning is a very delicate time."

OOPS! Wrong SF universe.
                    Anthony Flessas
                    Writer/Producer/Director,
                    SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

I hate to be the deliverer of doom, but Crusade isn't doing too well in sales, if amazon's DVD sales rankings are any indication. One week out from release and its rank is 297. Babylon 5's ranking for all of the seasons were sometimes in the top ten. In fact, almost all of them and the movie set are still in the top 2,000...some in the top 1,000.

Let's just hope enough sell to boost TMoS's credibility. Spread the word to everyone you know about Crusade.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Huh, wtf?

I've only seen a few scattered episodes of seasons 4 and 5 of Babylon 5, and since its not a decapitated product I see no reason not to buy them.

My, we do love the "F-word" don't we?

Cruusade is part of the canon, and so worth having in more-or-less permanent form, IMO. I have the tapes, but the tapes are uch harder to search than the DVDs are. Plus, as noted, the DVDs will have commentary that is unique.

If you are not as big a fan as I am, I can understand the decision not to buy. I don't understand the disbelief that one would find almost universal desire to own the DVDs from a fan group that is still active five years after the series went off the air.

So, by all means put it down. Just get a little better grip on where you are posting and who else is posting and voting here. And keep the f-bomb as a weapon of final, not initial, resort.
                        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                          I hate to be the deliverer of doom, but Crusade isn't doing too well in sales, if amazon's DVD sales rankings are any indication. One week out from release and its rank is 297. Babylon 5's ranking for all of the seasons were sometimes in the top ten. In fact, almost all of them and the movie set are still in the top 2,000...some in the top 1,000.

Let's just hope enough sell to boost TMoS's credibility. Spread the word to everyone you know about Crusade.
                          This is unsurprising to me. An incomplete series with some negative press behind it isn't going to sell that well except to the cognoscenti. This is most unfortunate because it means an even less likelihood that TLOTR will make it to DVD, but that is the breaks of the game.

It is just possible that, if TMoS has references back to the series, sales will pick up after the release (or even the announcement) of the movie.

Comment

If you are not as big a fan as I am, I can understand the decision not to buy. I don't understand the disbelief that one would find almost universal desire to own the DVDs from a fan group that is still active five years after the series went off the air.
                            Actually, you know...I'm fed up with all of it. The whole 5 years worth of episodes, the movie boxed set, my initial 2-movie disk...ALL OF IT! I intend to sell all my DVDS on eBay for whatever I can get, and I have cancelled my pre-order from www.playusa.com for CRUSADE which I shall now NOT be getting.

(Yeah, right...the very idea !!!)
                            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

That may also be a result of people getting loose, scratched discs, and are therefore no longer getting it via mailorder. Ever since B5 S3, I've bought all of my B5 DVD sets LOCALLY. I'm going to do the same with Crusade. On December 7th, I'll be at Best Buy, going through sets to put together a perfect one. With the Movie Collection set, it took the opening of three sets to find one pristine Disc 3.

Nothing wrong with spreading the word, though.
                              Mac Breck (KoshN)
                              ------------------
                              Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

It is just possible that, if TMoS has references back to the series, sales will pick up after the release (or even the announcement) of the movie.
                                The trouble is that the B5:TMoS release is far, far off, and the Crusade DVD Set release is 9 days away. By the time B5:TMoS is in theaters, the Crusade DVD set will be off most shelves (like in Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.).

Grumbler, seen any Crusade DVD Set ads. yet? Seeing one of those would make my day.
                                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                                ------------------
                                Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Working...
                                X