No announcement yet.

Will you buy Crusade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will definitely get Crusade. It had a lot of potential.

Plus since it's basically an "unfinished work" I can always imagine how many different ways it could have gone. One thing the Babylon 5 series has done is stimulate my imagination.

And is that ever a bad thing?
    You get what everyone gets. A lifetime.

Comment

Elver wrote:

"I have a question to Michael Malloy. As a religious person, which you probably are, you should know Vatican's official position on science fiction and aliens and such things in general. How do they feel about it?"

I'm not Roman Catholic, so I have no knowledge of their position. I'm an Orthodox Christian - a convert from the Episcopal church.

My church has different views depending on who you speak with and how strictly you interpret things. In the Russian Orthodox Church, which is the strictest, generally flirtation with science fiction is discouraged. The reasons seem to be that several heretical religions (from the Orthodox point of view, of course) came to be from people such as L. Ron Hubbard. Other sects were born of misinterpretation of events in science fiction.

All Orthodox Christians are to avoid the "Harry Potter" series absolutely. It is considered the devil's catechism. Witchcraft is right out for Orthodox Christians.

On the other hand, as I mentioned in another thread on the B5 forums, there are writers who approach religion with great respect. JMS is my favorite of them. There are parallel lessons all through B5 that are in accord with the teachings of my faith. That's not to say that every single reference to religion in B5 is equal to the Orthodox view, but a great many are.

Some clergy (I'm at the bottom of that heap, by the way) teach that "Star Trek" is very bad for Orthodox Christians because of the one world government and other issues. I know a senior clergyman in my faith who loves Star Trek and all SciFi. My priest would go ballistic if he knew how much I enjoy SciFi. Then again, he's REALLY conservative and from Kosovo.

I think I should have gotton off of the soap box several paragraphs ago. I intended only to give a clear answer, not to convert anyone.

Please forgive me if I have offended.
      Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
      Kosovo: 1999, 2004
      New York City: September 11, 2001
      Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
      Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
      http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

No offense here, Michael. I thought it was a thoughtful, well written post.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Re: Re: Will you buy Crusade?

Im definatly going to buy these.

Originally posted by KoshN
          Are you kidding?!?!? Crusade will be better because the DVDs will be 4:3. No more shimmering in the CGI.
          Could you please show me in a pic or somthing the shimmering your talking about. becouse a shimmering effect is usually done Intentionally, that is if we are speaking of the same type of shimmering.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Will you buy Crusade?

Originally posted by kmf3
            Could you please show me in a pic or somthing the shimmering your talking about. becouse a shimmering effect is usually done Intentionally, that is if we are speaking of the same type of shimmering.
            Look at an episode that shows the front ~1/4th of the station from the side, as it rotates. Look at it on Laserdisc and then look at it on DVD. In the DVD version, as the station rotates, the lines that make up the station structure (the lines of the panels on the station's skin) appear to quiver. In the Laserdisc version, they don't.

In the Laserdisc version, it looks like you're looking at something that is actually there, rotating in space, with nothing between your eye and the station. In the DVD version, it looks like a TV signal with some sort of mild interference added.

If you could see the two side-by-side, or with an A/B switch, it'd be obvious. The shimmering I'm talking about is not intentional.
            Mac Breck (KoshN)
            ------------------
            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Will you buy Crusade?

Originally posted by kmf3
              I think "pixelization" is the more technical term. But it does appear as "shimmering' on my TV - imprecise pixel locactions, especially when mixing live and CGI scenes.

Edit: KoshN beat me to it.
              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Aye, I see. Although i hardly noticed it untill i put it in my pc's dvd drive. (pixelization)

Comment

CGI worse than that of B5. Which was a big surprise. I was watching the B5 2nd season yesterday and the CGI is very crisp and definitely on par with current CGI. Which is saying a lot, seeing as how old B5 really is. Crusade's CGI seemed... fake, somehow. Maybe because they relied too much on it. Or maybe because it involved more than just space shots, which are much easier to do.
                  As I recall, Netter Digital switched from LightWave to a new CGI software (I don't remember the name) for Crusade, and the results ended up being inferior to the original.

I saw Michael Malloy's review on Amazon too. I was like, "Isn't that the guy who looks like the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?"

If nothing else, I gotta get it for the special features.
                  Last edited by B5_Obsessed; 11-23-2004, 11:23 AM.
                  Only a fool fights in a burning house.

Comment

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed
                    As I recall, Netter Digital switched from LightWave to a new CGI software (I don't remember the name) for Crusade, and the results ended up being inferior to the original.
                    I thought they used Lightwave 3D (later and later versions) for almost all the CGI shots, B5 thru Crusade. It was with the Legend of the Rangers pilot that they switched to Maya.
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

B5 Obsessed wrote:

I saw Michael Malloy's review on Amazon too. I was like, "Isn't that the guy who looks like the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?"

That's actually pretty funny and I can laugh along with you.

The truth is, the beard is for religious purposes. I'm a Russian Orthodox Christian - converted from the Episcopal church.

That's enough religion here.

At my age, my eyesight must be so awful I didn't notice the difference in CGI quality with Crusade so much. The only part I thought was awful was the holographic image of Galen - THAT was primitive, but perhaps it was meant to be that way.

Only a few more days until we all can have the fragment of what might have been a wonderful new adventure from JMS!
                      Michael Malloy

Never forget:

Moscow; Beslan 2004
                      Kosovo: 1999, 2004
                      New York City: September 11, 2001
                      Smyrna: September 9, 1922

http://www.hri.org/docs/Horton/hb-title.html
                      Armenian Genocide in Turkey: 1915-1917
                      http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Malloy

At my age, my eyesight must be so awful I didn't notice the difference in CGI quality with Crusade so much.
                        Some CGI scenes in Crusade looked great (Excalibur flybys in front of nebulae, most of the Excalibur close-ups, distant cityscapes, and too many others to list), while others didn't look so great:
                        [list=1][*]"Patterns of the Soul" - Shadows destroying the transport ship and most of the lifepods - excessive contrast and grain, and Shadow Fighters firing pink slicer beams. Shadow Fighters didn't have beam tech, or enough power to fire beams. Maybe Shadow Fighters grow up into Battlecrabs and these were "in-between" in size and power???
                        [*]"The Needs of Earth" - poorly finished, "unfinished" looking Morati ships. Looked fake.
                        [*]"Each Night I Dream of Home" - B5, at the end, looks fake on the Excalibur's viewscreen.
                        [*] "The Long Road" - the overall of the mine, looks fake, like it's clearly a model. They did a much better job on the underground city in "War Zone."[/list=1]

I didn't notice any overall quality of CGI drop in Crusade. It was just a bit more variable in quality than B5. I suspect a lot of the problems would have been due to the stress of working under the TNT conditions at the time. Must have been hellish and demoralizing. Also, they were doing more ambitious, more difficult CGI in Crusade:
                        [list=1][*]"Racing the Night" - The initial Gideon skimmer flight into and through the city. The medium distance shot when coming in on the Tech (his back to us) before he's killed at the beginning (Was it CGI or a set?).
                        [*]"The Memory of War" - the cityscape when Dureena was up on the ledge.[/list=1]

The closer they show the complex CGI (like cityscapes), and the more they pan or rotate the camera, the harder it is to make it look real. They did a lot of that in Crusade.

The only part I thought was awful was the holographic image of Galen - THAT was primitive, but perhaps it was meant to be that way.
                        Yes, I think it was supposed to look artificial, and only able to fool a machine, not the eye of a sentient being.

Only a few more days until we all can have the fragment of what might have been a wonderful new adventure from JMS!
                        I know where I'll be using my McDonald's Best Buy Bucks.
                        Last edited by KoshN; 11-24-2004, 10:47 AM.
                        Mac Breck (KoshN)
                        ------------------
                        Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

It's been quite a while since I've seen Crusade, but might the variation in quality pointed out by KoshN have been a result of pushing the limit on CGI for television, too? I seem to recall them doing a LOT more with CGI in Crusade. More virtual sets, more planetscapes, etc.

[Edit for typo]
                          Last edited by WorkerCaste; 11-24-2004, 08:48 AM.
                          "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
                            It's been quite a while since I've seen Crusade, but might the variation in quality pointed out by KoshN have been a result of pushing the limit on CGI for television, too?
                            That's what I meant by "Also, they were doing more ambitious, more difficult CGI in Crusade."

Originally posted by WorkerCaste
                            [B] I seem to recall them doing a LOT]/B] more with CGI in Crusade. More virtual sets, more planetscapes, etc.
                            Yes, especially more medium and close shots of CGI planetscapes/cityscapes.
                            Mac Breck (KoshN)
                            ------------------
                            Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN
                              That's what I meant by "Also, they were doing more ambitious, more difficult CGI in Crusade."
                              Mmmm. Yes. Reading not Zathras' strong suit. Had Zathras read that, he would have been greatly agreeing. Much apologizing.
                              "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

I loved the earlier made darker (grey suit) episodes, some of the dark suit ones were great too, though the first episode (TNT style) looked unfinished and the one with Eddy triple Wood was very dull. Shame because both Woodwards can really act well. (an opportunity lost.) Will I buy them? Sure, that said I've got them all on VHS and have only seen them once so far.
                                Last edited by Shr'eshhhhhh; 11-27-2004, 09:10 AM.
                                I have the wings for Bingo.

Comment

Working...
                                X