No announcement yet.

Will you buy Crusade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all can I say hello to you good folks as I'm new here. I will definitely be buying Crusade though as I'm from England I will have to wait until 2005 sometime to see it in region 2 (I know I could get it in region 1 but I want region 2, I'm funny like that). I thought it started much stronger than B5 did. I liked the much maligned music, the fairly tight tie in to the technomage trilogy, the good links to B5 and the strong character builds that had already been completed. The well know resolution of the plague by the end of season 2 leads me to try and spot what the big issues might have been. The technomages coming out of hiding ? Earthgov/Marsgov issues ? I have recently rewatched all the episodes on video, as 2 of my work collegues have gone through all B5 and now completed Crusade, and I had forgotten how funny they are ("your technique with women is piss poor". Which episode boys & girls)?
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the fun, James13666!
      "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Just to log my vote.

Of course I pre-ordered!

Subsequent viewings, I will agree improve it, but I liked it pretty much the first time because it was taking place in my fave ficto-universe.
        John Brittain
        2blueshoes.com for free blues downloads

Comment

Crusade was OK. It wasn't great but it had potential.

I think my favorite character was Max. Gideon had potential, all else (excluding super annoying Galen and Dureena) were ok. I hope Galen won't be in TMoS. Music and CGI were average.

Welcome James13666 and thanks for attachment. Excalibur was fantastic ship. IMO the best ship in any Scifi Universe.
          Last edited by Sigma; 11-16-2004, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by James13666

"Your technique with women is piss poor". Which episode boys & girls)?
            "Ruling from the Tomb" - over dinner.

Originally posted by Sigma

I think my favorite character was Max. Gideon had potential, all else (excluding super annoying Galen and Dureena) were ok. I hope Galen won't be in TMoS. Music and CGI were average.
            Sigma, you found Galen annoying? Right off the bat, Galen was my favorite character. I found Max annoying, and Gideon out of place (like Lochley seemed to be in B5.). Over time, through repeat viewings, I grew to like all of the characters, even Chambers and Trace.

Initially, I didn't like the music, but now, I do. It seems to add a sense of alienness that adds to the atmosphere of the episodes.

It certainly would be better if we could have had a complete season and to be able to view all the episodes in the proper order. If that were the case, I have a feeling that a lot of people's problems with Crusade would go away. As it is, I enjoy the episodes for what we got, and hope JMS gets to continue the story, and fix the shambles caused by Total Nitwit Television.
            Last edited by KoshN; 11-16-2004, 09:08 AM.
            Mac Breck (KoshN)
            ------------------
            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN
              "Ruling from the Tomb" - over dinner.
              That was the episode where JMS finally got humor and Lockley right. I loved the 'under Sheridan' part. Once Lockley relaxed in her command she was great, imo.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
                Once Lockley relaxed in her command she was great, imo.

I still shudder at the "peanut-head" B5 Season 5 episodes. Claudia can pull off that look, but Tracy just CAN'T. Tracy looked like her hair was stretched back soooo tight that it gave her a face lift, ...almost like the "bug" in "Men in Black" when he stretched the farmer-skinsuit facial skin back and caused the farmer's wife to faint.

"How's this?" <thud>
                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                ------------------
                Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN

Sigma, you found Galen annoying? Right off the bat, Galen was my favorite character.
                  I quess it was his british accent and how he spoke in riddles. IMO very poor man's Kosh. But i admit that he did grow on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
                    I quess it was his british accent and how he spoke in riddles. IMO very poor man's Kosh. But i admit that he did grow on me.
                    Well, I love a British accent, and someone who enunciates (as opposed to mumbles) their lines. Kosh always spoke in riddles, even when he was delivering a one word answer. Galen only sometimes spoke in riddles.

Besides, Kosh and Galen were from opposite sides of the tracks (Vorlon/Shadow). Still, Galen and the other Technomages were trying to impose Order on Chaos, so that's kind of Vorlon-like.,

SPOILER FOR THE TECHNOMAGE TRILOGY:

...and later Galen found harmony with his tech (with neither one controlling the other).
                    Mac Breck (KoshN)
                    ------------------
                    Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

I have a question to Michael Malloy. As a religious person, which you probably are, you should know Vatican's official position on science fiction and aliens and such things in general. How do they feel about it?

I heard about the pope telling physicists not to inquire into the Big Bang for it was God's making (it was mentioned in a book by Hawking, if I remember correctly), but what's their view on science fiction and extra-terrestrial life?

Comment

Originally posted by elver
                        I have a question to Michael Malloy. As a religious person, which you probably are, you should know Vatican's official position on science fiction and aliens and such things in general. How do they feel about it?

I heard about the pope telling physicists not to inquire into the Big Bang for it was God's making (it was mentioned in a book by Hawking, if I remember correctly), but what's their view on science fiction and extra-terrestrial life?
                        Being "religious" or "Christian" doesn't necessarily mean one is up on the Vatican's latest stances on issues. That said, Michael Malloy may know the answer.

The one to ask is CaptMontoya, science-fiction guru and Catholic.
                        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by elver

Excuse me for showing my total ignorance, but what is the official position? I'd be very interested in a quick recap.....
                          http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                          Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                          47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

I also heard of that suggestion by the Pope to Hawking and other physicists, that the Big Bang was the very act of creation, and thus the province of God, not of mere mortals. This I saw in a documentary about Hawking.

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                            Being "religious" or "Christian" doesn't necessarily mean one is up on the Vatican's latest stances on issues. That said, Michael Malloy may know the answer.

The one to ask is CaptMontoya, science-fiction guru and Catholic.
                            True words Z'h'd, indeed I am under the impresion that some Christian (Protestant) factions consider the Pope the antichrist and despise the Vatican, and there are many religious people of the budhist persuasion that wouldn't know about the Vatican either.
                            But I am no guru on every position of the Vatican... this is one of them.

Now y'all have me wondering...

In general terms the Catholic Church has become more progressive on scientific issues, trying always to avoid a conflict with science (the lessons of Galileo's trial still resonate to this day). For example the Catholic Church accepts the idea of evolution.
                            I'd guess the Catholic Church doesn't deny the possibility that life exists in other parts of the Universe and would consider it part of God's creation, most likely the position of the Church on intelligent alien life would be that they can also be saved, and that Christ died for their sins too.

The subject of religion has given raise to several interesting SF works (George R.R. Martin's "The Way of the Cross and Dragon", James Blish's "A Case of Conscience", Walter M. Miller's "A Canticle for Leibowitz" more to mention if and when I remember them). The work of Cordwainer Smith also has some aspects of Christianism (mentions of "the old strong faith" and "the God nailed high" appear in several of his later stories, but not on the earliest ones).

Edit: added "of religion" above.
                            I actually can't think of any SF work that talks specifically of how the Catholic Church would react to the discovery of intelligent extraterrestrial life.

Interesting topic...

But on the original topic: I voted YES... but not yet.
                            Last edited by Capt.Montoya; 11-18-2004, 02:42 PM.
                            Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                            James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
                              Edit: added "of religion" above.
                              I actually can't think of any SF work that talks specifically of how the Catholic Church would react to the discovery of intelligent extraterrestrial life.
                              I know of at least two books i have read on specifically this topic: the dispatch of emissaries of the Pope to discover "if the aliens had souls." The topic has been dealt with, but I don't know that the Catholic Church has any reaction to them.

Ovewrall, though, i think it interesting that the Galileo trial and its aftermath appear to have had a far greater impact on the CC than the scientific community.
                              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

On further thought on elver's questions...
                                I would think that the Catholic Church attitude towards SF would be the same as of that to any type of fiction. If it reflects Catholic values and teachings, or at least has nothing offensive to them it's good, if it doesn't it isn't. If such fiction contains ideas contrary to the teachings of the Church or even sacrilegous ideas then it's not recommended or it's even counseled against.

Considering how much SF is iconoclastic and atheist I'd guess few genre books would be recommended by the Church...
                                But the days when Catholics would only read books in the Vatican non-objectionable list are long gone (but I think a few Catholics still prefer to check that the books they read are not objectionable).

This is my general impresion, I'm not really an expert on all the fine points of Catholic Doctrine.

Some genre (SF and Fantasy) authors that were Catholic include J.R.R. Tolkien, Jules Verne and C.S. Lewis, I can't think of more recent examples.
                                Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                                James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Working...
                                X