X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    JMS answered my question about George Johnsen's post:

I think the point JMS was making was that, compared to the cost of re-renderring all the CGI, the idea of an upscaled 4:3 product is far more affordable.

As for what we might 'see' Amazon paying for - well, remember that nobody ever thought that we'd get the re-edited pilot, either (including JMS) but we did. One never knows what a corporation might decide or be convinced to do.

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by sense8ional View Post
    I don't see how the cost would be "minimal" to transfer 100+ TV-hours from film. I don't see Amazon paying for this. I can only see WB themselves doing this (if they ever feel like it, which currently it doesn't look like they do, but who knows what the future holds).
    I think it's JMS trying to drum up interest / fanfare. There have been a number of people that have pointed out technical issues with his statements. It's a more complex bag than he's suggested. Plus, I doubt Amazon would be willing as it's not exactly a high profile acquisition.

Leave a comment:

• sense8ional
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Interesting series of posts from JMS overnight. That the conformed negatives existed has been fairly common knowledge. But now there's the possibility something could be done with them to create the best possible image of the show in the original 4:3 aspect ratio:

I don't see how the cost would be "minimal" to transfer 100+ TV-hours from film. I don't see Amazon paying for this. I can only see WB themselves doing this (if they ever feel like it, which currently it doesn't look like they do, but who knows what the future holds).

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
    I hope it will be viewed a lot and it will eventually lead to more B5 (or a HD remaster).
    One can dream...
    Can anyone say Babylon 5 Amazon ReBoot Series?!

(Has JMS ever said he wouldn't reboot the series with WB - especially if he has Amazon on his side?)

Or maybe it becomes an Amazon Original Movie event. Netflix does it all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Lope de Aguirre
    replied
    That's awesome!

I didn't think this would happen.
    I hope it will be viewed a lot and it will eventually lead to more B5 (or a HD remaster).
    One can dream...

Leave a comment:

• Looney
    replied
    Okay such a mixed bag of info here. The one stable positive is that I will be able to stream my re-watch on my TV. SOOOO glad Amazon picked it up. I hope it will be available globally for the sake of streaming numbers. If we can get those numbers cranked up maybe Amazon will take notice and get interested. Spread the Word!!!!!

FYI: If you don't have Prime and you are planning to subscribe, two Prime Shows I really enjoy are Bosch and The Tick. Also Alpha House is EXCELLENT, but there were only two seasons and it has been a few years so I doubt there will ever be more.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    A fan came up with a possible wrinkle:

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-9540

Subject: Re: Atten George - film?
    To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
    Date: 3/7/1997 2:42:00 AM
    << Newer : List : Older >>

View Thread
    (2 messages)

David-

A complete film print is never made.........yet. (I have learned that
    never is a very bad word used in this forum:-))

The international (read PAL/SECAM) and archival (read 16:9) versions are
    from a conformed negative, that has black placed where the effects shots
    are. Those shots are converted or remade from the digital source, and
    cut into the show in the WB resolution independent post environment.

We have done tests (early on and recently) to prove that the CG and
    composites can hold up to film transfer, so who knows what the future
    will bring? BUT... there is no complete film prints of any episode at
    this time.

George Johnsen
    CoProducer, B5

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Gawd.... that would really be something. I seriously doubt it will happen, but it would be very cool. I'd happily join prime for a while to watch that. Guess it's up to Amazon if they feel it's worth the extra hassle. If enough fans were to re-tweet tagging Amazon they might get the message?
    Last edited by Ubik; 05-17-2018, 05:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Interesting series of posts from JMS overnight. That the conformed negatives existed has been fairly common knowledge. But now there's the possibility something could be done with them to create the best possible image of the show in the original 4:3 aspect ratio:

Leave a comment:

• Ubik
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Look what somebody just posted on FB:

Now the question is whether it will be global or only in the US.

Jan
    That's cool! Prime is definitely a good home for people to discover the show.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    started a topic B5 coming to Amazon Prime in June!

B5 coming to Amazon Prime in June!

Look what somebody just posted on FB:

In addition to Prime Originals, licensed TV series coming to the service next month include season seven of USA Network’s hit series Suits and complete collections of Babylon 5 and The Waltons.
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...kZaVk3jEsJF.99

Now the question is whether it will be global or only in the US.

Jan
Working...
X